I have followed these instructions several times but 1Password 4 keeps showing up

Options
ksnargolwala
ksnargolwala
Community Member

I am trying to cleanse my Mac of 1Password 4. I have followed the instructions in "How do i start over with an empty vault" but 1password 4 keeps showing up in folder Application Support. I am syncing with Dropbox. What do I do next?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:starting-over

Comments

• ksnargolwala
    ksnargolwala
    Community Member
    Options

My 1Password version is 5.3.2; My OS is OSX 10.10.5; I sync with Dropbox

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1P5 still uses 1Password 4 folder and file names in Application Support. Don't meddle there: you will lose something critical! :)

Stephen

• ksnargolwala
    ksnargolwala
    Community Member
    Options

OK. But your instructions say that if I see 1Password 4 in the Application Support list I should move it to the desktop. After syncing the 1Password 4 item reappears in the Application Support Folder. Are you saying this is ok and should be ignored?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Can you please provide a link to the instructions to which you refer?

Edit: sorry, I'm assuming they are those referred to in this knowledge base article, which is referred to under your first post. So long as you were successful in starting over with a new vault there is nothing to worry about. If you weren't successful please let us know.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @ksnargolwala,

So the first thing I'd like to do is confirm that you are trying to completely start over in 1Password 5. As Stephen_C mentioned, we still use the same naming convention that we did in 1Password 4 so all of your 1Password 5 files are actually stored in a folder titled 1Password 4.

If you are wanting to start over again can I ask, when does the new 1Password 4 folder appear? If it's after you launch 1Password 5 then that's perfectly normal. As 1Password 4 and 5 share the same support folder when 1Password 5 creates a new set of support files it will do so in a folder titled 1Password 4. It won't be the first time we've heard that that confuses the heck out of somebody who assumed we altered the name of the folder and maybe in hindsight we should have. Unfortunately it's fairly established, at least for 1Password 5 so I fear changing it now would cause far more chaos than it tries to resolve.

Basically though, you don't have some part of 1Password 4 still running around creating files behind your back, it's just 1Password 5 inadvertently muddying the waters. Does that help at all?

• ksnargolwala
    ksnargolwala
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that helps a lot. The 1Password 4 folder appears after I have relaunched. I was concerned that 1Password was picking up some old files from Dropbox but as you have now clarified it I will leave it alone. Many thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.