Display glitches on OS X 10.11 El Capitan [1Password 3 supports OS X 10.6 and 10.7]

Options
car
car
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

After installing El capitan the password window [ersion 3.8.22 (build 32010)] on every account is blank in the "Edit" mode.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot see any password in any account in Edit mode with El Capitan

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@car: Indeed. This is a display glitch that 1Password 3 suffers from on the newest OS X release, El Capitan. Since 1Password 3 was developed back in 2009 (since then there have been five major releases of OS X) it isn't using the newer text and display technologies which didn't exist at the time. So now may be a good time to consider upgrading to 1Password 5, which is fully supported on El Capitan, and continues to receive improvements and fixes. If you do, be sure to check for discount eligibility using your existing license. I hope this helps! :)

• chrislarkin
    chrislarkin
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to comment so late (after the last comment, although early in my morning), but I must say I'm not a fan of how the issue is being addressed. When you say it was developed years ago, that's fine and it would make sense that your app would lack any newer OS X feature integration. Similarly, if your app did something Apple prevents because of a major change in design (like how SwitchResX can't change into custom display modes without disabling SIP from a recovery boot temporarily), it would be hard to argue.

However, aren't we talking about errors that shouldn't exist? What kind of text area did you need to build that no longer exists in 10.11 and doesn't impact tons of my own really old code or any commercial product I could find?

This isn't the first hard sell on an upgrade either. Multiple times new versions have caused pop-ups that would crash 1Password it you closed the offer window.

You could easily make every unhappy customer whole by fixing that display area (an hour of coding?) or offering free upgrades to the oldest version that works on El Capitan.

Then either discount upgrades further OR offer a sale on iTunes at the regular upgrade discount for a short period - notifying all registered owners of 1Password 3.x by email. You'd be a hero company rather than result of a Google search because of the error.

BTW - you probably should've emailed every licensed 3.x owner as soon as the problem popped up. At least people could say, "Well, they emailed to explain the problem and I wanted El Capitan so it's on me..."

if I'd felt the features added were worth paying again we would've bought the last version, and that's on your team to solve! Certainly other apps are on an annual broken-at-every-OS-change cycle (Parallels) but that's a known thing when you buy it. They also offer a cheap conversion to a subscription model for annual upgrades and provide massive new improvements each year. Other companies release a version 2 at the Mac App Store, which is annoying but it's usually only with (again) amounts of desired improvements relative to the cost. A $3 utility doesn't need to do much while a $50+ app does.

Maybe I'm the exception but there hasn't been anything added that I need in your newer releases for Mac or I would've happily bought. Just to be told a bad chunk of code for displaying means I have to pay again is annoying.

All this being said (thanks for reading my rant if you got this far), I'll buy your upgrade if I can't find anything elsewhere. I'd rather spend more money with another company just over the point that a little display area shouldn't break and praising a simple product for lasting a few years isn't something a developer a should do. Praise from users (while I'd still disagree) is fine, but developers should explain rather than push a sales pitch for the app they wrote in a way that somehow in a world with few deprecated libraries and APIs. How many more times will this happen? If we buy now, are we going to need an upgrade next year too?

Good luck to your organization and my fellow customers. You may end up getting my money for an upgrade, but it will have changed my opinion of your company forever and I will no longer recommend 1password.

:-(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chrislarkin,

I'm not sure how technically or legally possible it is to email all 1Password 3 users. Many may have upgraded (false positives), anybody that purchased via Apple's Mac App Store will be unknown to us (unknowns) and without prior permission I believe it can be legally interpreted as spam which can get a legitimate company in trouble. While I certainly understand your viewpoint here I'm genuinely unsure how feasible it would be. Maybe if at the time we'd asked for permission to contact everybody for any general matter or done so from within the application itself - I can't say for sure but I'm guessing we never envisaged needing to do so.

The issues detailed in 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X are incompatibilities with the latest versions of OS X and the major browsers. They aren't errors because the functionality worked perfectly fine for the software they were written for at the time. Take Firefox as an example. When we last updated the 1Password 3 Browser Extensions we used a widget that was the correct way of interacting with Firefox. A few versions down the line they deprecated the widget but kept it hanging around until the release of Firefox 40. Still, it's use was how to do when 1Password 3 was being developed. I can't say why we're seeing this weird issue with the fields - I don't know the specifics but it isn't always about a big change that breaks things, sometimes it's lots of little changes. Sometimes code has to account for quirks in particular versions of something and then we need to remove the fix because once corrected in the underlying system it now causes problems instead of solving them. That one is from personal experience of one of the changes between 1Password 4 and 5 due to differences in Mavericks and Yosemite.

There is possibly nothing I can say that will persuade you otherwise as I don't see 1Password 5 being offered as a free update and 1Password 3 is unlikely to be hauled out of retirement and changed. Smaller companies often have to make tough decisions like these e.g. where the finite development time is focussed and invariably it's on the current version. It could easily be we use very different sets of software but my experiences as a customer of AgileBits don't seem out of line with any of the other software companies I'm a customer of.

You may have thoughts on this and we will listen. I would also encourage you to look elsewhere so that no matter what you choose in the end it's the best fit for you. We hope and want 1Password to be the one but the most important aspect of any software is that it meets your requirements.

• hamptoninn
    hamptoninn
    Community Member
    Options

TO: littlebobbytables (who works at AgileBits): I just noticed the exact same "glitch" today. What Larkin and now I'm asking for, is specifics vs. your reply of "I don't know the specifics but it isn't always about a big change that breaks things, sometimes it's lots of little changes."

I don't mean to be terse but the thing is YOU work at AgileBits so what we are asking for is the person who knows why this is happening to respond. Please go down the hall, find out (I'm positive the PM responsible for upgrading PW3 to PW5 customers knows) and tell us, your customers.

If the situation is as you are hypothesizing, (that there was something inherently challenging with El Capitan and PW 3) then I have no problem upgrading. I like your product and that is fair/reasonable.

But Larkin's question is a fair one which hasn't been answered. Having the text dissolve, making PW3 unusable, does not seem like a tradeoff which had to occur due to the challenges El Capitan.

Why? 1Password is the only program (since I migrated to El Capitan) that is NOT working.

Please have someone reply with a clear answer.....as to Larkin's point, PW3 is standing out in my migration to El Capitan as anomalous behavior.

---Ken

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hamptoninn: The reason we're not able to offer specifics is because it's a change in OS X, not 1Password, which has precipitated this particular issue. To be clear though, the text is still there; it simply isn't displayed by El Capitan, though it can be interacted with (copy/paste, add/delete).

1Password 3 was developed in 2009, and hasn't been under active development for years. I may be wrong, but I suspect 1Password 3 is unique in that regard when it comes to the apps you were running on Yosemite and now El Capitan. It's certainly the oldest app I still have installed.

It's impossible to ascertain what, in particular, is going wrong with the text display there without a great deal of research into obsolete code which no one is maintaining...and of course even then an answer may not be forthcoming, since Apple does not document all aspects of their proprietary APIs: they say "you can use this to do that", but they don't necessarily explain the how and why, and they certainly don't provide the source code for the community to pick apart for themselves.

I'm sorry that this probably isn't a very satisfying answer to your question — actually more of an explanation than an answer at all. As much as I suspect I could find someone who would enjoy this kind of detective work, we just don't have the resources to send anyone down that rabbit hole with little to no expectation of finding a resolution. And even then it would have to be rewritten...which is ultimately exactly why we rewrote 1Password from the ground up from version 4, to bring 1Password up to date with then-current frameworks and future proof it (as much as is possible, not knowing what changes Apple may make going forward). So instead of pursuing 1Password 3, we're focusing on the current codebase where we can do the most good for the greatest number of people.

This discussion has been closed.