How do we create smart folders in 1Password 4?

Options

I'm apparently overlooking both how to do this and how to find how to do this. But I can't seem to figure out how to create smart folders in 1Password 4 for Windows.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro w/SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mattt: Sorry for the confusion! Smart Folders is an OS X (as in, Apple's desktop operating system) feature, so it isn't available on Windows. We'd very much like to add this sort of functionality to 1Password for Windows in the future, but I can't say for certain if or when that may be possible.

• Hi @mattt,

In addition to what brenty said, you can use tags in the Windows program if you want. We have not expanded the full use of it yet but if you go into the search field and press alt+down, it will show you a list of tags you can use.

Just to be clear, the smart folders as a concept isn't exclusive to OS X but the way we've created smart folders on OS X is exclusive since it uses OS X's Predicates API, which isn't portable to other platforms. We do want to bring smart folders to all platforms in the future but it will require a complete change of how we handle smart folders to make it cross-platform friendly.

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that's disappointing. I base my smart folders on tags on my Mac anyway, so I guess an extra step of typing a search isn't a huge deal. Looking forward to the added ability, though.

Thanks for the quick replies!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! Indeed, Smart Folders are pretty handy, but since this is an Apple technology we'll have to try to come up with our own solution for other platforms. Thanks for bringing it up in the first place! :)

This discussion has been closed.