White screen setting up Dropbox

Options
Lawrence_Lo
Lawrence_Lo
Community Member
edited October 2015 in iOS

I just purchased Windows and Mac bundle with the latest version of 1P 2 days ago. It works fine with my MacBook Pro, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6s and PC. Problem happens once I change my master password and Dropbox password with 2 step activation. As a result, my iPad Air 2 with iOS 9.01 installed fails to sync with Dropbox. On the other hand, new settings just work fine with all other devices. I tried everything in the website offered and it still fails. Dropbox itself works normally in my iPad.

I thought it had something to do with login problem or Dropbox account. I eventually quit Dropbox account as well as 1P account on my iPad to test it. Problem still exists. I try to log in and sync Dropbox with existing vault. Once I choose the appropriate file to sync, the sync Windows just hang there forever. Please help.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Problem happens once I change my master password and Dropbox password with 2 step activation. As a result, my iPad Air 2 with iOS 9.01 installed fails to sync with Dropbox. On the other hand, new settings just work fine with all other devices.

@Lawrence_Lo: Sorry for the confusion! Your Master Password isn't stored in your vault, so it cannot sync along with your data. But if you're not interested in the details, all you need to know is this: once you change your Master Password on one device, you just need to unlock 1Password on each additional device using your "old" Master Password, and then once your data syncs you'll be able to use the "new" one to unlock it in the future. I hope this helps! :)

• Lawrence_Lo
    Lawrence_Lo
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Brenty,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I understand what you mean.

I was still locked in with the old password before. Syncing fails after my update in the settings and password were changed. No matter what I did, it still fails. Therefore, I quit Dropbox account and 1P account and try everything from scratch. I simply run 1P again and pretend my iPad is naive to 1P. I link it to Dropbox by syncing with existing account. It can recognise the agilekeychain. once I choose the file , a window pop up and try to sync. however, the window is blank and stuck there.

Please help.

Lawrence

• Lawrence_Lo
    Lawrence_Lo
    Community Member
    Options

I notice that there is something wrong with the 1Password.html file inside the agilekeychain file in my Dropbox. It shows up a message saying "Problem loading 1Password data file; A key data file could not be loaded and 1P Anywhere cannot continue without it. I guess this is the problem.

I use my Mac to assess the file. I can lock in with my master password in Safari. I change the sharing & permissions to everyone. It does not work.

I try to open it in safari in my iPad via 1P Anywhere. It works. However, I can't open it via my Dropbox app in my iPad. It does not work even after I logout my dropbox account in the iPad and login again.

The strange thing is that I have no problem working with my iPhone 6s despite I see the same problem. I surrender!

Lawrence

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Lawrence_Lo,

I'm not too surprised if you're having troubles with 1PasswordAnywhere. It can only be accessed via Dropbox's website and we have experienced issues with it recently meaning it has been inaccessible to most. The reason it won't work if access via your Dropbox folder on a Mac or the Dropbox iOS app is the JavaScript and permissions that are required. So that path will potentially lead to stress and hair loss.

We did see something similar where after selecting the Agile Keychain in Dropbox 1Password simply didn't bring up the keyboard and request the Master Password. Sadly we haven't heard back from the other person since they first reported so we never did discover the cause in their case. I did wonder if it was a damaged Agile Keychain though.

As you're dealing with a fresh copy of 1Password on your iPad we won't be able to easily get diagnostics so what we can do is try removing the existing Agile Keychain and having 1Password create a new one. If that's something you're willing to try please let us know and we can talk you through the process. Don't worry, the Agile Keychain is only used for syncing on 1Password for Mac and iOS so it's removal won't harm your vaults there and they allow for the sync container to easily be created again. With a little luck the 1Password for iOS on the iPad behaves a bit better.

• Lawrence_Lo
    Lawrence_Lo
    Community Member
    Options

thx for the reply. I am not sure if I understand your meaning of removal of existing agile keychain. Should I unlink in my Mac? or simply rename the file and crest a new one? Would you please state step by step? I appreciate your customer service very much !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I try to open it in safari in my iPad via 1P Anywhere. It works. However, I can't open it via my Dropbox app in my iPad. It does not work even after I logout my dropbox account in the iPad and login again.

@Lawrence_Lo: Sorry for the confusion! As you noted, 1Password.html (A.K.A. 1PasswordAnywhere) can't load the external files it needs from your computer's hard drive or within the Dropbox app on iOS.

Ultimately you'll get the best experience using the 1Password app on your iPad to access your vault, but 1PasswordAnywhere can often be used through the Dropbox website in supported browsers in cases when you can't use the app. But since you already have 1Password on your iPhone, you should be able to install it on your iPad as well and sync your data between the two using Dropbox...so that brings us back around to where we started.

Can you take a screenshot of the issue you're having with 1Password on your iPad? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Also be sure to note the exact steps you're taking so we can figure out what might be going wrong in this case. We will get this working for you! :)

• Lawrence_Lo
    Lawrence_Lo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I attached screen shots for your reference. Please note that the sequence of photos may not be uploaded correctly.

To recap, there are two problems:

1. I cannot assess the html file as shown via Dropbox app. on either iPhone or iPad
    2. I cannot join my existing Dropbox account in my iPad Air 2, with iOS 9.01 installed, from scratch. It works normally before before I change certain settings, e.g. master password of 1P, Dropbox password, activation of 2 step verification in Dropbox. on the other hand, my iPhone 6s running iOS 9.01 has no problem.

Thx again.

Lawrence

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lawrence_Lo: Aha! Thank you so much!

I cannot assess the html file as shown via Dropbox app. on either iPhone or iPad

As I mentioned in my previous post, this is not possible. 1PasswordAnywhere requires a full-featured, unrestricted browser to load properly.

I think I understand the problem you're having with setting up Dropbox in the 1Password app itself though. Can you tell me if this is the correct order? This is my best guess:

Based on this screenshot, your vault seems to be intact (data folder is present, etc.):

From your description and the screenshots, it seems that you're suffering from a glitch with the Dropbox app itself. I know this is counterintuitive, but bear with me. 1Password can authenticate with Dropbox on its own if the Dropbox app is not installed...but if the Dropbox app is installed, 1Password will simply hand off to the Dropbox app to authenticate during the setup process. I believe this is the white screen you're getting. Please try the following:

1. Delete the Dropbox app
    2. Restart your iPad
    3. Open 1Password and setup Dropbox Sync

I suspect that will resolve your issue. Once you have successfully setup Dropbox Sync in 1Password and your data has finished syncing, you can install a fresh copy of the Dropbox app from the App Store and you should be all set. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• Lawrence_Lo
    Lawrence_Lo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the prompt reply again.
    The sequence of the photos is correct. I am not too interested to open the html file actually. I just guess it may be the culprit.
    I followed your suggestion strictly. Unfortunately, it still stuck there with the same plain white window....

• Lawrence_Lo
    Lawrence_Lo
    Community Member
    Options

any solution to my problem?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

any solution to my problem?

@Lawrence_Lo: Did you try the steps I suggested in my previous post? This has worked for me and for others as well. Please let me know if that helps!

• Lawrence_Lo
    Lawrence_Lo
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Brenty,

I followed the following advice strictly:

Delete the Dropbox app
    Restart your iPad
    Open 1Password and setup Dropbox Sync

unfortunately, it does not work . the blank window comes again. please help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

@Lawrence_Lo: I'm sorry to hear that didn't work for you. Thanks for trying! At this point, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening.

Set up a new vault, in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Dropbox, and Sync, try to setup Dropbox, and then send the diagnostics:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

ref: XVI-39614-357

This discussion has been closed.