Setting a Default Vault other than Primary ?

klitch184
klitch184
Community Member

Is there any way to change the default vault from Primary to a Shared vault ? Being a married person I use Shared vault most often. Always have to change vaults as the first step in using 1password, would like to just have that shared vault as the default.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

@klitch184: You know, for the reason you describe, sometimes I wish I could have two primary vaults (or change the default on a whim day to day)... :lol:

Unfortunately there isn't a simple way to do this, But I'll be happy to walk you through the process of getting things set up the way you want. To start off, just give me a bit more information on your setup and, well...how you want things set up:

1. How many vaults do you have? Just the two, or are there more?
    2. Which version of 1Password are you using (both the OS and app)?
    3. Are you syncing your 1Password data? It sounds like you may be using Dropbox to share a vault, but I'd rather not assume anything!
    4. Tell me how you want these vaults organized in 1Password. This question may be irrelevant if you only have the two, since you made it clear already what you want to do with those.

Please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• cweirup
    cweirup
    Community Member

@brenty Was this question answered? I didn't see an answer to this question in this thread, but I am hoping to do the same with my 1password set-up.

At the risk of being rude, if I could take over the conversation, here my current and future state set-up:
    1. I have 2 vaults: Primary and Family.
    2. v5.5 Beta on Mac OS, v6.1.1 on iOS, v4.6 on Windows 8.1
    3. Both vaults sync via Dropbox, but only the Family vault is shared. Both currently have data in them, so recreating will be a challenge
    4. I want the Family vault to be displayed when I first launch the apps or use the browser extensions across all devices

I did notice that the latest versions of the Mac OS Beta and iOS clients automatically show all vaults initially, which is not a bad approach, but I'd still like to be able to designate the Family vault to be the only one to initially display if possible.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cweirup: No worries! It seems as though we never heard back from klitch184. Re-reading the conversation, I see that I really wasn't very clear about this (as I was waiting for a response):

The "Primary" vault is always the "default", so the only way to change the default is to set up 1Password with a different vault as the Primary.

Good of you to mention the "All Vaults" feature, as that would have been my first suggestion. ;)

I can absolutely work with you to get things set up differently, but just keep in mind that if you want to change it again in the future you'll need to use a similar procedure. However, Dropbox actually makes this a bit simpler than it would be otherwise.

What you can do is start over completely with 1Password for Mac (leaving your vaults in Dropbox, but save a backup anyway), and then when you launch 1Password after restarting your Mac, and choose the 'family' vault, which will make it your primary. Then simply double-clicking the 'personal' vault in Dropbox will allow you to add it as a secondary vault.

Similarly, you'll need to reset 1Password for iOS (or simply reinstall the app), and then sync your existing 'family' vault to add it as the primary, and then add the 'personal' vault as your secondary in Settings.

Let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• sobemac
    sobemac
    Community Member

Especially now that 1P defaults to "All Vaults" it would be great to have a Default setting, possibly set in the same pref pane as where you currently select which vaults are included in all. Normally I only want info from my primary vault, and would love to have this as the default again. However I don't want to deselect other vaults in the "All" view, as that is also a very useful feature at times (I just wish it wasn't the default). Any plans to add a default option with recent upgrades?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sobemac,

We've been hearing a lot of feedback from users on the new All Vaults feature in 1Password for Mac and iOS, and we are looking into ways to make this feature even more powerful for everyone. I don't know at this time what that will look like, but I'll be sure to pass along your thoughts to our team.

• metamorphic
    metamorphic
    Community Member

I would like to support sobemac's feature request: Being able to set my "All vaults" to include any subset of the vaults, and being able to set the default vault independently of what the "All vault" is set to. Sobemac's suggestion would be perfect: add a default option on Settings. I really dislike the current defaulting to "All vault."

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Hi @metamorphic,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sorry that you dislike the new All Vaults view, but I'll make sure our team hears your thoughts.

• metamorphic
    metamorphic
    Community Member

Just to clarify: I like the new All Vaults view. I dislike that the view defaults to the "All Vaults" view. The current version binds the All Views and the default view.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Version 6.0.2 arrived for me this afternoon. It includes the option for the user to specify which vault will display by default upon opening the application, or to have it display the last open vault. So the request for these options has been fulfilled and is now live.

• Thanks for pointing that out, hawkmoth!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.