Noob question, I want use 1password on my win7 pro and MBP. Can they work together as one?

Options

Hi all,
Completely new to this program and actually purchased it over a year ago without installing it (yet). I guess the features both scared and amazed me into not wanting to do anything that might screw up my accounts. I have a stand alone Win7 pro machine that I use everyday and a MBP 2014 (updated to El Captain) with Win 10 on a dual boot. I have purchased both versions (i.e. Apple and Windows) of 1Password and would like to know how to set the programs up so that if I use it on my windows machine, it will have the same passwords on the apple machine. Is this possible, and if so, how? Bear in mind, I am not that technically minded and really need a 'for dummies' version of how to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Bobsen

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Bobsen,

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Yes, it is possible to sync your data between 1Password programs on multiple platforms and you can do this with Dropbox that will keep your files in sync on all computers and mobile devices you connect with Dropbox.

The first thing to do is decide which computer you're going to use first to set up 1Password. I would recommend doing this on the Mac first and use this guide to set it up with Dropbox: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-dropbox.html

Once you're done, you can then install Dropbox on your PC, wait for Dropbox to finish its sync, and then install 1Password, 1Password will automatically detect your data in Dropbox and present you with the lock vault for you to unlock.

I hope this helps and we'll be here to assist you with anything you need.

• Bobsen
    Bobsen
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply. Would it be a big problem if I had already installed Dropbox on my PC first? Should I uninstall it and the reinstall it on my MBP?
    TIA,
    Bobsen

• Hi @Bobsen,

Would it be a big problem if I had already installed Dropbox on my PC first? Should I uninstall it and the reinstall it on my MBP?

No problem and no need to do anything with Dropbox. You can focus on setting the 1Password vault up and Dropbox will handle the rest for you.

It would help if you can tell me the current situation with 1Password programs, have you already installed it on either computer or create a new 1Password vault that you're using right now?

• Bobsen
    Bobsen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,
    I just have Dropbox installed at this time. I have the latest versions of 1Password but have not installed them yet.
    TIA,
    Bobsen

• @Bobsen - as Mike recommended, we suggest setting up 1Password on your Mac first and set up the Dropbox sync on that as per this guide. Give Dropbox plenty of time to finish syncing. Then install and run 1Password on your Windows PC and it will find your 1Password vault in Dropbox.

• Bobsen
    Bobsen
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I will give it a try later this week (work permitting ;)). I have Dropbox already installed on my window machine.
    Thanks again for the help...
    Regards,
    Bobsen

• @Bobsen - you are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.