Window is jumping all over the place on Capitan when dragging it

Options
pentool
pentool
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

Hello,

Just finished a clean install of El Capitan 10.11. After installing 1PW, when I drag the window around the desktop, it is jumping all over the screen if you grab the top portion of the window.

STEPS:

1. Open 1PW on El Capitan 10.11
  2. Make sure the 3 column layout is showing (Sidebar, Item List, Item Details)
  3. Grab the window at the top of the Sidebar and drag it around. It's fine.
  4. Now grab the window at the top of the Item List pane, just above the search field and drag it around. The window is jumping around the screen. If you grab the window just below the search field and drag it around, it's fine.
  5. Grab the window again, this time at the top of the Item Details panel. Make sure you grab the window towards the edge. Again, the window is jumping around.

It gives the illusion as if the window is being constrained to some sort of grid, but at the same time it's jumping around this "invisible grid".

El Capitan 10.11
Mac mini late 2012
8G / 256G SSD / Intel HD Graphics 4000 / 1.5G VRam
1PW 5.3.2

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The AgileBits folks know about this and are working on a fix.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pentool,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know the details about that! As hawkmoth mentioned, our developers are aware of this issue. I don't know exactly when they'll be able to fix it, but I'll add your comments to our internal tracker. If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know! :)

ref: OPM-3297

• Jensen Gelfond
    Jensen Gelfond
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening on OS X 10.11.2 and 1PW 5.4.1

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jensen Gelfond,

I apologize for the inconvenience! But you'll be happy to know that this is fixed in the latest beta, so barring any unforeseen circumstances, the fix should be included in the next update (although I don't have a timeframe for when that will be available). For now, the window should move correctly if you drag it from the area above the left sidebar (around the red/yellow/green buttons), or if you drag it while it's locked.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

ref: OPM-3297

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

I've made a video, so please contact me so that I can send you a link.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
    Extension Version: 4.4.4
    OS Version: 10.11.2
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @odysseus,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I merged your post with the existing thread for this issue. As Drew mentioned above:

[T]his is fixed in the latest beta, so barring any unforeseen circumstances, the fix should be included in the next update (although I don't have a timeframe for when that will be available). For now, the window should move correctly if you drag it from the area above the left sidebar (around the red/yellow/green buttons), or if you drag it while it's locked.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member
    Options

But you'll be happy to know that this is fixed in the latest beta

That's great news, thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're quite welcome. :)

Have a great holiday!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@ik8sqi as Drew_AG said:

But you'll be happy to know that this is fixed in the latest beta

The latest version under beta testing is later than 1P5.4.2 and that version contains the fix. The version has been in beta testing for some time—and will doubtless continue to be so until AgileBits feels it is safe for release.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I stopped being annoyed by this bug after I started following the advice to drag from the area near the top left of the window. Haven't given it another thought since then.

• Hi @ik8sqi ,

Bug fixes are often not "self-contained" and we want to be certain it doesn't have other unforeseen effects before we include it along with other fixes in a release. Sometimes when you combine many fixes, other issues arise, so it requires care and testing when including it in a release version. Rest assured though, the fix has been done and are working to include it in a release version as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member
    Options

I've learned to cope with this issue actually in a very simple way. I watched Star Wars a couple of times and then, practice, practice practice. Now I can simply move the window to any position very smoothly just by exerting mental force. ;)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@pentool - Great news. I'm off to practice now...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pentool, the force is clearly strong with you! :lol:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ik8sqi,

Drew said on December 17:

But you'll be happy to know that this is fixed in the latest beta, so barring any unforeseen circumstances, the fix should be included in the next update

The next official update (5.4.2) was released on December 30, almost two weeks after that post. I was thus commenting on the fact that the above statement by an AgileBits team member was incorrect, and expressing frustration on why a bug so visually annoying and intrusive that was discovered months ago still had not been fixed in the latest official release.

I'm sorry for any confusion, but my statement was not incorrect. I stated that the fix would be in the next update barring any unforeseen circumstances. That means there's a chance it won't be in the next update (and as you noticed, it wasn't). There are many factors that can affect implementation of a bug fix, and we certainly don't want to promise something that we can't deliver on. I tried to make it clear that the fix was likely - but not definitely - going to be in the next update. If I didn't make that clear enough, I do apologize!

I know it's an annoying bug, but I hope the easy workarounds that we've suggested have been helpful for you while waiting for the real fix. If for some reason you're having trouble with those workarounds, please do let us know, and we'll be more than happy to continue helping you with that. Thanks, and have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.