Item fields invisible when editing an item [known to occur with v3 on El Capitan]

sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
edited October 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Does 1Password work with El Capitan?.

Comments

• jsa82
    jsa82
    Community Member

Hi - new problem that's minor but annoying. I'm not sure it's related to El Capitan, but I can't think of any other cause.

I just entered a new password successfully using the Chrome extension. Then I went back to edit the entry and the title of the entry was invisible, as if the type had switched to white letters. Same thing with other fields: when I clicked on the address field, everything disappeared. I could edit it successfully, if I remembered how many characters I needed to delete, and then clicked onto a different field after I was done. It didn't seem to matter if I was typing or cutting/pasting; same effect.

I'm on a MacBook Air (11", Mid 2013) running OSX 10.11 (upgraded this morning), using 1Password Version 3.8.21 (build 32009). Yeah, I even have a 1P 4 password, but haven't gotten around to migrating. The easy answer is to upgrade to 4 or 5 and see if that solves it, but I want to report this anyway, because who knows when I'll get around to it. And, the less easy answer is to deinstall/reinstall, which I really don't want to do. For now, I'll just let y'all know and trust that you'll fix it, or I'll upgrade, or I'll de/re one of these days when this annoys me enough.

• jsa82
    jsa82
    Community Member

Update -- same problem kept happening w/ 1Password 3.8.21. In fact, I got it to crash. So, I decided it was time to use my 1Password 4 license after all. I upgraded to 1Password 4.4.1 (441008), tried the same things, and no crash or invisibility problem. So,

(a) my problem is now solved, and
    (b) and consider this as one data point suggesting that 1Password 3 does NOT play well with El Capitan.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

Hi @jsa82,

I've moved your comments over to this new discussion in the 1Password 3 for Mac category. The issue you discovered and reported is indeed specific to version 3 of 1Password on El Capitan. There's more about it in posts from @littlebobbytables (aka Adam :)) here:

1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

I'm glad you were able to successfully upgrade to 1Password 4. Did you know your version 4 license will also work with 1Password 5? Since you're running El Capitan, and unless there's something holding you back, I definitely suggest taking advantage of a free upgrade to 1Password 5. :)

• Open 1Password 4.
    • Press ⌃⌘Q (Control-Command-Q) to quit 1Password and 1Password mini.
    • Drag 1Password 4.app from the system Applications folder to Trash; do not use app uninstallers that might accidentally remove your 1Password data/preferences.
    • Empty Trash, then restart your Mac.
    • Refer to lnstalling from the AgileBits website instructions for downloading/installing 1Password 5.

When you first open 1Password 5 it should find your current data and prompt to unlock with your current Master Password. 1Password web browser extensions for version 4 also work with version 5.

If you have questions or run into any trouble we're here to help. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• jsa82
    jsa82
    Community Member

Wow. Thanks -- for the fast response, and for the shiny new 1Password 5 upgrade, which I'm now happily sporting on my Mac. I have to say that this is a nice little confirmation of why I like this product and this company, and why I've bought licenses for a Mac twice and a Windows laptop and two iOS licenses, and have encouraged at least two other people to buy it as well.

I've tried several other similar products over the years; each time someone asked me what I suggested, I went out and tested a few to be sure that the initially-more-expensive version was worth it. It's worth it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jsa82: I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password 5. Better late than never! ;)

But in all seriousness, we simply couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers. Thank you for your support! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.