Trouble upgrading from version 3.7.2 to 6.0.1 on my iPhone 5s.

krh1952
krh1952
Community Member

I am trying to upgrade from version 3.7.2 to version 6.0.1 on my iPhone 5s running iOS 9.0.2. The embedded upgrade tool failed to import my version 3 data. Historically, my only data backup has been via my iTunes backup. I just tried to backup using my Dropbox account, but my version 3 1Password does not recognize/acknowledge Dropbox login. I tried to do data transfer using manual wifi data backup method from this website on my home wifi network. Manual wifi backup failed.
Please help ASAP ! My version 3 app has started crashing. I am afraid I am about to lose my data.
Please no scolding. Know it was stupid not to upgrade sooner or backup somewhere other than iTunes.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I took the liberty of moving your post from the Mac section to the iOS section of the forum. You'll get more help that way.

• krh1952
    krh1952
    Community Member

Thank you

• Hi @krh1952,

1Password 3 for iOS uses the Dropbox v1 (or v0) APIs, which Dropbox has long since discontinued. Unfortunately Dropbox sync is no longer an option with that version. In addition it can only WiFi sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. It will not WiFi sync with newer versions.

If the normal upgrade process is not working, there is an alternate process available. You can find information on that here:
    https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/#1password-3-7-1-or-earlier

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• krh1952
    krh1952
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no luck. I successfully get a backup file, move it into iTunes, sync with my iPhone, the file name changes to show imported, but . . When I open the new version, it still starts taking me theough the version 3 import screens again as though it does not have the version 3 data. :| Am I doing something wrong when I import the file via iTunes. I changed the file name as instructed. ??

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @krh1952,

The alternative steps require you to create an empty vault inside of 1Password 6 for iOS at which point you can copy the backup from 1Password 3 for iOS into the right place. After you've successfully grabbed a copy of your 1Password 3 for iOS backup (.1ptbackup) and renamed it to .1pt3import there is another section titled Import your backup to 1Password 6 where the first step is to create an empty vault. Can you confirm that you've gone through those steps for us please.

It might take a reply or two more but I'm sure we can help you successfully move to the newer version :smile:

• krh1952
    krh1952
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow up. I did create the backup and rename it .1pt3import. I dragged that file into iTunes and synced my iPhone following the instructions. After syncing, the file name changes to 'imported'.
    The next section is where I may be messing up. If I create an empty vault, how do I get my version 3 data into it?
    Thanks for the help.

• Hey @krh1952!

If I create an empty vault, how do I get my version 3 data into it?

You need to start using 1Password 6 and set things up so you can import the data into it. You won't be able to do this if the app hasn't been launched and a vault hasn't been created because the import process simply moves the old data into your vault, as this step in the guide describes:

The Master Password you selected when you set up the new version of 1Password will be your new Master Password. If you would like to continue to use your 1Password 3 Master Password, you can change it.

Hopefully that helps shed some light on things. :) Let us know if you have any questions about using 1Password 6!

• krh1952
    krh1952
    Community Member

Thanks for the addition suggestion. I did setup a vault in version 6. When I sync my iPhone in iTunes the file appears to be imported. When I open 1password version 6, the data from the file that was supposedly imported is not there.
    Am I missing a step in the import process? Thanks for the help.

• Hi @krh1952,

Is the name of the file changed after importing?

At this point I think the best thing would be if we could see a diagnostic report from 1Password 6 on your iOS device. Please follow these instructions:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.