Ipad 2, Dropbox 1Password.html?

ApplianceJunk
ApplianceJunk
Community Member
1 password works great on my macbook and I use it daily.

I just bought a iPad2 wi-fi + 3G and 1Password is one of the first apps I searched for.

After reading some of the 1password ipad app reviews though I'm not so sure if I want to install it just yet.

Anyway I remembers something about how I was using dropbox with 1password on my macbook and how I could view 1Password.html ( that was stored in dropbox) in Safari with my macbook, but it does not seem to work on the ipad 2 with Safari.

I get a box that pops up with I try to view the dropbox file, 1Password.html on the ipad 2 that reads...

Problem loading 1Password data file
a key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.

Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

I read the guide, but still don't know what to do to correct the problem.

Why can't I view the 1Password.html on my ipad 2?

Should I just go ahead and try installing the 1Password pro app on my iPad?

Thanks,

Comments

• bswins
    edited May 2011
    ApplianceJunk,

At this time, 1PasswordAnywhere (1PA) is not supported on iOS devices. Please see the following post: 1PA and iOS devices.

There is a possibility that 1PA will be available in mobile Safari soon. However, there is no guarantee: 1PA and mobile Safari

Personally, I use 1P Pro on my iPad and iPhone (with Dropbox), and I love it! I recommend it highly.

1PA is a great option for when you are using another desktop, and I believe 1P Pro and 1PA complement each other.

Using both programs and Dropbox, you can access your information wherever you are.

Brandt
  • ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    Ok, thanks for that info.

I went ahead and installed the 1Password app for the ipad for $9.99, at first I was looking at the 1Password Pro for $14.99

Seems the 1Password app for $9.99 had been added to the app store later so maybe it's a newer version then what some of the reviews I read for the pro app.

Anyway the 1Password app seem to install and sync with my current data base just fine. :)

Kind of cool how it sync to the current data base.

I clicked on the ipad to sync with current data base. I already had 1password open on my macbook. A window popped up in 1password on my macbook were I had to enter two secret passwords that were shown on the ipad.

How cool is that, lol :)

Thanks!
  • Great to hear that you went ahead and purchased the 1P app!

Just as an FYI, the 1P Pro app is just a combination of the 1P for iPhone/IPod Touch and the 1P for iPad app. There is no difference in functionality. Basically, it's a way to pay $15 instead of $10 each.

Regardless, you have the version you need (i.e., the iPad version) and you had no problem setting it up!

I agree that it's pretty cool. I had a similar moment of awe and wonder when I first took the iOS plunge.

Hope you have a great time with your new iPad 2. It's pretty awesome.

Feel free to post any questions or concerns if you come across them.

• ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Did my ipad sync with a database that is on my macbook or with a backup file?

Do I need to manually sync the 1Password app on my ipad or does it auto sync when I make changes?

What if I mac changes on the iPad, will I have to sync the 1password on my macbook?

Oh so many questions now that I think about it, lol...

Thanks for all your help!
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for replying. Now that you're the proud owner of 1P for desktop and iPad, I'm sure you have a lot of questions.

Let's get started:

Did my ipad sync with a database that is on my macbook or with a backup file?

Since you had to enter the two secret passwords, I presume you synched via WiFi rather than Dropbox. With this being your first sync, you were syncing to the database on your macbook. Future syncs will be between the data on your iPad and your macbook…meaning, the two databases will be compared and updated with any differences. If there are conflicts (i.e. you changed info for a Login on your iPad but didn't on your macbook) you will be alerted to a Conflict. At that time you will be given an opportunity to select which Login to accept. The same is true of Conflicts for any other Vaults (Logins, Accounts, Identities, etc.)

Do I need to manually sync the 1Password app on my ipad or does it auto sync with I make changes?

You can auto sync or manually sync depending on your preference. Personally, I use Dropbox synching, but I used to use the WiFi option. I synched my databases once or twice a day. Considering you have a 3G iPad, I would seriously investigate the Dropbox option. I use it to auto sync my iPhone and iPad with my desktop Mac. It's a life saver…trust me!

What if I mac changes on the iPad, will I have to sync the 1password on my macbook?

Refer to my last comment. Again, since you have a 3G iPad, I would take a look at Dropbox. In my opinion, the main drawback to WiFi synching is that you must be on the same WiFi network for it to work. However, with Dropbox synching, you could be on the other side of the globe, and a change made on your iPad will be reflected on your macbook. This is due to Dropbox's cloud synching method. The benefits are tangible.

Please take a look at 1P's data file sync solutions and decide for yourself. Feel free to post additional questions.

Brandt

P.S. If you decide to stay with WiFi synching, the following 1P help article may come in handy if you experience trouble: WiFi Sync Troubleshooting. After reading all of that, you'll have another good reason to move to Dropbox syncs! :)

Meant to add the How to Sync 1Password for iPad with 1Password for Mac help article.
  • ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    Refer to my last comment. Again, since you have a 3G iPad, I would take a look at Dropbox. In my opinion, the main drawback to WiFi synching is that you must be on the same WiFi network for it to work. However, with Dropbox synching, you could be on the other side of the globe, and a change made on your iPad will be reflected on your macbook. This is due to Dropbox's cloud synching method, but the benefits are tangible.

3G and Dropbox it is.

Just set it up, very cool!

Thanks again for all your help...

• 3G and Dropbox it is.

Just set it up, very cool!

Thanks again for all your help...

It was my pleasure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Post your questions or comments whenever you feel the urge.

Better to ask than suffer.

Cheers!
  • brenty wrote:

I would only add that you might want to watch your data usage on 3G.
    ..that is unless you're one of the lucky folks grandfathered into the unlimited iPad data plan. cool.gif

Excellent point Brent! When it's not my money, I always seem to forget that potentially expensive caveat!
This discussion has been closed.