"Please wait" on startup [Will be improved in the future]

oleg11
oleg11
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

Why I have to wait while 1Password checks for new version each time I open it? Why not to do it in background and to save my time?

Thanks,
Oleg

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@oleg11: Indeed! In order for 1Password to check for an update, it has to be running...which is why you're getting this on launch. If you leave it running in the background (by default, it minimizes to the notification area) it will also check for updates in the background. Cheers! :)

• oleg11
    oleg11
    Community Member

So you suggest to open 1Password then put it in background then return back to it after some time? What about usability? :)
    Why not to run this specific task as background task of 1Password and allow me to work with it? As most other apps do? It is so easy and so obvious, actually it is first app which requires me to wait until it checks for updates.

• Hi @oleg11,

I believe Brenty meant if you set 1Password to open at startup, you can set it to open minimized rather than on the desktop, so it can check for an update in the background and when you're ready to open 1Password, it won't show you this dialog.

However, this is not the way we want to do this. We do want to change to only show the dialog if there is an update to download and if not, don't show anything. If there is a new update, it needs to be flexible to wait for you while you use 1Password, not blocking the whole program.

This is a lot priority for us at the moment but we will change it in the future.

• oleg11
    oleg11
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the explanation, actually if I set 1Password to open at startup then Windows informs me that it has high impact on startup speed and suggests to switch it off, it is why I don't load it at startup.

Ok, then I will wait.

Thanks,
    Oleg.

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @oleg11,

I suspect that Microsoft is basing it on the fact that it takes a while for the update to finish checking (we're doing a lot to secure connections first before we do anything else), not that it slows down the booting since we only launch after the system is booted. I have not noticed any slowdown with launching 1Password at boot on my computer, despite what Microsoft said but I am using a SSD, so that could be the reason.

Hopefully, we'll get this fixed soon for you.

This discussion has been closed.