How do I upgrade from 1password3 ( version 3.7.2) with iOS9.0.2??

Options
teve
teve
Community Member

1password3 crashes with iOS9. Tried installing 1password6 and doing import, did not work.
Tried backing up 1password3 on computer and importing backup file into 1password6 without success.

1Password Version: 3.7.2
Extension Version: 6.0.1
OS Version: iOS 9.0.2(13A452)
Sync Type: iTunes
Referrer: kb:upgrade-ios

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @teve,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble upgrading. Could you please let me know how far you're able to get with the import from the backup, and where things get hung up?

Thanks!

Ben

• teve
    teve
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for replying. I believe the issue is that I had an old iPhone that had an old iOS operating system that 1password6 would not work with. I transferred to a newer iPhone with iOS 9.0.2. My 1password3 (version 3.7.2) did migrate to the new phone, but the app crashes with iOS 9.

I've tried downloading 1password6 to the new phone to migrate the data, but have been unsuccessful using the methods detailed in the Agilebits support article "How do I upgrade from 1Password 3 on iOS?".

I tried downloading 1password6 and then using "Sync Existing" and "Import from Version 3" to transfer the data, but it doesn't work.

I also followed the directions lower on the screen for version 3.7.1 and earlier by creating a backup, renaming, and then trying to import into 1password6, but that does not work either (it looks like all is going fine when I sync the backup file to 1 password6, but none of the data populates).

I am sure you hear this all the time, but I am DESPERATE to find a way to transfer my password data to 1password6, since I really can't use 1password3 with iOS 9.0.2 ..............

Any help or suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated!

teve (Tegan)

• Ben
    Options

Hi Tegan ( @teve ),

Okay, thanks for the additional information. Can you tell me if 1Password 3 for iOS on the new iPhone actually has your data in it, or does it crash before you can get that far? Do you still have access to 1Password 3 for iOS on the old iPhone?

Please let me know.

Ben

• teve
    teve
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

Yes, 1Password3 on the new phone does have all the data in it. I can still see and access all of my passwords in 1Password3 on the new phone with iOS 9, but after I look at any single password, the app immediately crashes if I do anything else.

I do also still have access to the old phone with 1Password 3. I didn't do anything to that phone but remove the SIM card to use in the new phone.

By the way, when I launch 1Password 3 on the new iOS 9 phone, I get a message that I have the new version installed and do I want to import the data to the new version. I select "Import into new 1Password" and then get a screen that has AirDrop on top, and on the next line "Message" "Mail" "Notes" and "Copy to 1Password".

I've tried turning AirDrop on and leaving it off and then clicking on "Copy to 1Password". Once I do that, I get a screen asking to unlock 1Password (both versions are already unlocked) that I click "unlock", but nothing happens then.....

Ugh,

Tegan

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, Tegan. Please try following these instructions to backup 1Password 3 for iOS then manually import it into 1Password 6 for iOS:

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/#1password-3-7-1-or-earlier

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• teve
    teve
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again, Ben,

This is rather embarrassing, but I realized that in trying to migrate my data, I have been use my UNLOCK code as my Master Password. I thought I had my Master Password written down, but I just tried it and what I have doesn't work.
    There is a RESET Master Password option in 1Password3, but I don't know what will happen if I select that. Any advice?
    I am praying I am not out of luck......

-Tegan

• Ben
    Options

Tegan ( @teve ),

The only way to decrypt your 1Password data is with the Master Password. As such it cannot be imported into v6 without entering the proper password. The best advice I'd be able to give would be to keep trying, and see if you can remember.

Thanks.

Ben

• teve
    teve
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

SUCCESS!! I managed to ekk it out somehow. Thanks for your guidance, and I've learned quite the lesson about backing up / keeping the app version current / keeping track of important info!

Thanks agian,

Tegan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us! :)

This discussion has been closed.