I am unable to open bank account statements (pdf) from within 1password

jernst
jernst
Community Member

I can login to several different bank accounts at different banks and easily browse through my accounts activity, info etc. But when I try to open any monthly statement, 1password just opens the login window for the bank again. It never displays the PDFs file.

If I go to the same mobile web site but not from within 1password but use Safari directly then everything works as it should and I can easily display the account statements.

I have tried different 1Browser user agents in the settings tab in 1password but it makes no difference, it won't display the account statements. This is the same whether I use my iPad or iPhone.

I thought this did work before.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPad or iPhone 9.0.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can't open bank account statements in 1password

Comments

• Hi @jernst,

Fortunately using 1Browser instead of Safari has little incentive now that we have the 1Password extension within Safari. Have you enabled that yet? If not, you can find instructions here:

https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/enable-extension.html

Thanks!

Ben

• jernst
    jernst
    Community Member

I already had this enabled but this method eliminates the advantage of 1Password.

I would enter 1Password where are my info is, select desired account, click the stored webpage (which I don't need to remember), and login would be pretty much be automatic. Then I could easily browse through all my secure sites very quickly one after the other without leaving the app. I don't see how going to safari and typing the esoteric web addresses for each site and then calling up 1password to enter the password is comparable. This had the added advantage that all my sites are not in my safari bookmarks.

Am I missing something?

• Thanks, @jernst. I can see how using 1Browser would be more convenient if you didn't have bookmarks setup in Safari.

Could you please let me know which sites (URLs) you are having this difficulty on?

Thanks.

Ben

• jernst
    jernst
    Community Member

The response I received from my similar previous post was completely useless. Maybe I didn't explain the advantage 1Password had but has seem to have lost.

Not only do I need my user name and password available but I need to be able to access web sites from within 1Password. The advantage was being able to associate a website to a category name, click the website and login automatically. Then be able to go to another name and repeat. Once I'm logged in at a website, I need to be able to successfully access everything at that website. This no longer works for monthly credit card statements, bank statements, stock statements etc.

Now when I am at the website, if I click on a monthly statement, the website login window appears again. If I login, now I'm logged in twice. This just keeps repeating. Yet I know when I login through Safari not using 1Password, the account statements appear correctly.

Before I explain why your solution is not a solution let me provide another example, when you own stocks some companies use a third party website to manage your portfolio, some do it through their own company site others might use brokers. Anyway, trying to remember which website for which stock is as difficult as trying to remember which password for which stock. Now throw in the knowledge that companies change what method they use hence, the website changes frequently. Being able to remember I have company ABC stock all I needed to do was open 1Password, select ABC, press website address and log in. Repeat for next stock selection.

The previous solution to my post was as follows: go to safari, go to the website (which I can't remember) and then select the 1Password extension, which requires me to enter my very long 1Password master password, so 1Password can then enter at the website my user name and password. Once that is done 1Password logs off automatically.

When I go to another website, I have to go through all the steps again which includes typing in the master password again. For some websites it requires logging into 1Password twice because the password will not fill in automatically, you have to type it in and of course I can't remember what it is, and I need to open 1Password so I can see what it is. Hint, try USBank.com.

It is easier to go back to the old method of just cutting and pasting info from a file I would keep encrypted and enter the info where needed. In fact, for over 12 years on the PC, I would use an excel spreadsheet, where you can press my stored website link, website would open and then just copy and paste in the user name and password. It is hard to believe that 1Password is now less capable than 12 year old excel!

1Password Version: 6.0.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 9.0.1
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• jernst
    jernst
    Community Member

I started another post with additional explanations. I would not keep an unencrypted list of all of my stocks, bank or credit card account names, so there is no way for me to setup book marks in Safari.

Try Usbank.com

• jernst
    jernst
    Community Member

I guess you didn't want a second post with additional info since it no longer exists on this site.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I think I saw your other post at one point, and it seemed to be identical to the one you have just two posts above your most recent one. I suspect that someone merged your other post into this thread to keep the comments on the same topic from getting scattered around. That's a suspicion. I did not do that, but I thought it might help you to understand what may have happened.

Isn't true that your post just above your last one is identical to the one you started in a new thread? Or did I miss something?

• jernst
    jernst
    Community Member

Yes it was the same problem but I had added more relevant information. When I was posting the second post, I must have overlooked this post because at the time I couldn't find this thread. My mistake.

For more info, I can't open any PDFs file when logged into a site through 1Browser. I explained in this post and the other post the major advantage of using the 1Browser from within 1Password. Now it is not possible to see any electronic copy of account statements. Try accessing you phone bill PDFs or cable bill PDFs or electric bill etc.. 1Browser just takes me back to the login screen.

This just doesn't seem like it should hard to fix it, since it used to work just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jernst: It's pretty difficult to work with files on iOS. Have you tried opening them on your computer? If they're attachments, they may simply be damaged.

However, if you mean you're trying to access these on a website, depending on the site's configuration this may not work; often they download the file rather than letting you view it inline (my bank does this, and it drives me crazy, since it litters my download folder with PDFs I need to securely delete). If this is the case, 1Password simply isn't able to handle downloaded files. Part of this is iOS limits the local storage for webviews, but even with smaller files 1Password simply isn't designed as a download manager. please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• jernst
    jernst
    Community Member

I have no problem with accessing any of my account statements from any of the sites I have listed above when I login using Safari on my iPhone or iPad. Only problem is when using 1Browser. For reasons described above, I need to be able to go to the websites from within 1Password for ease of use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jernst: Sorry for the confusion! We don't have plans to enable file downloads inside 1Password (as I mentioned previously, even if we did there are restrictions on the amount of space it could use), but we'll certainly consider this feature if it becomes more feasible in the future.

Anyway, I'm glad it works for you in Safari. So in the mean time you can simply use the 1Password extension there to login. I hope this helps! :)

• jernst
    jernst
    Community Member

Ok thanks for letting me know, so I don't spend time trying to get it to do something it can't.

I might need to go back to using iPassword instead of 1Password because they do support opening PDFs files through their browser.

• Thanks for the feedback jernst. The best I can offer at this point is to pass the feedback along to our development team to see if there is anything they can look into changing on their end, which I'm happy to do. From a customer service perspective unfortunately I'm not aware of any way to make 1Browser view these files for you.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.