1password not appearing on the system tray notification area in windows 7

Options

I've recently noticed that my 1Password icon does not appear in my Windows 7 notification tray area. It used to appear there but after the latest update it doesn't appear in the my notification area when I minimize 1Password. I've double checked my 1Password preferences settings and the "System Tray" box option is checked to show 1Password icon in the notification area. When I minimize 1Password, it just disappears altogether.

Do you have any suggestions? I've looked on your support web site but didn't find anything on this issue.

Thanks.

Danny

1Password Version: Version 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7.0 Enterprise SP1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password not appearing on the system tray notification area in windows 7

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@UFO00: Be sure that you haven't set Windows to hide it.

You can check in the Customize menu to make sure that it shows it, but if it isn't at all for some reason, first try disabling the System Tray setting in 1Password and re-enable it, and then install a fresh copy of 1Password if it's become damaged. Please let me know what you find! :)

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty. I noticed this issue also. My guess was that a recent 1Password update installed itself with the option "only show notifications" which overrode my previous setting of "show icon and notifications." Anyway, as you point out, it is straightforward to repair: click on the upward triangle in the notification area, then click on customize, then change the behavior for the 1Password icon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkh: Hmm. You make an excellent point! I haven't noticed this myself, but I will keep an eye on this. Perhaps Windows 'resets' the notification area setting for the app once it is updated (since it's technically a brand new .exe) Thanks so much for bringing that up! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Windows 7.

I couldn't resist, so I just went through and updated my machines here, one each: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. This behaviour only affects Windows 7, which appears to 'reset' the notification (system tray?) settings for an app when it is updated; Windows 8.1 and 10 retain the settings. Fascinating. :glasses:

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty your care in taking the time to run the experiment reflects well on you and your company. Thank you.

I regret that I cast aspersions on the 1Password installer when I should have scowled in the direction of Microsoft. Unfortunately, I may be stuck on Windows 7 because I don't like the unavoidable privacy violations of Windows 10 even when it is configured for maximal privacy. Is there any possibility of 1Password for linux, such as Mint?

• Hi @bkh,

Some users have reported success running 1Password via WINE, including browser integration support on Linux but we do not provide support for that.

As for a pure Linux version, it's something we'd like to do but there are no promises it would come. The changes we're making to promote more cross-platform support in all 1Password apps does make it easier to produce a Linux version in the future, so who knows for sure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty your care in taking the time to run the experiment reflects well on you and your company. Thank you.

@bkh: Wow! You're most welcome! Thank you for the compliment! :love:

I regret that I cast aspersions on the 1Password installer when I should have scowled in the direction of Microsoft.

Hey, no worries. I wondered about that myself, so I was happy to investigate!

Unfortunately, I may be stuck on Windows 7 because I don't like the unavoidable privacy violations of Windows 10 even when it is configured for maximal privacy.

I think that much of this is overblown. It isn't clear that Microsoft has anything to gain by violating their customers — apart from the experience of using Windows itself... :lol:

But in all seriousness, keep in mind that Windows 7 and 8 are also being retrofitted for similar data collection. Apparently avoiding that is just a matter of avoiding specific Recommended and Optional updates though — for now.

Is there any possibility of 1Password for linux, such as Mint?

I hope someday, but for the time being it isn't something we're able to do.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

I think that much of this is overblown. It isn't clear that Microsoft has anything to gain by violating their customers

Personal data about individuals is incredibly valuable. Consider the business models of internet companies such as Google and Facebook, and the mobile phone operators, and the cable TV companies, and the data aggregators. It seems clear to me that Microsoft has prepared their infrastructure and privacy policy so that they can join this gravy train.

But in all seriousness, keep in mind that Windows 7 and 8 are also being retrofitted for similar data collection.

Indeed. For this reason I read about every offering on patch Tuesday prior to installation, and have not installed KB2952664, KB2990214, KB3022345, KB3035583, KB3050265, KB3054476, KB3068708, KB3075249, KB3075851, KB3080149, KB3083324, and KB3083710. I understand that most people have gone along with Zuckerberg's "Privacy is dead. Get over it." ; I remain in the minority that continues to resist.

• Hi guys,

Let's please stay on topic as we want to help UFO00 with the issue here.

@bkh, please bring it up in the lounge forum if you want to keep the conversation going.

• alexdelara
    alexdelara
    Community Member
    Options

Saw the same... Windows 7 and I haven't installed any Windows updates; the icon has disappeared from the notification area, and icon is also gone from the Notifications customization so, there's no way for me to select "show icon and notifications" -
    Another annoyance is that "right click" only display the 1Password entry on the menu if I right click on a browser window. Please add check option to enable everywhere with right click: if not better, at least it mitigates the icon notification disappearance.

• Hi @alexdelara,

Windows 7 and I haven't installed any Windows updates; the icon has disappeared from the notification area, and icon is also gone from the Notifications customization so, there's no way for me to select "show icon and notifications" -

Make sure 1Password is configured to show the icon first. Open the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > General and check the box next to Show 1Password icon in notification area, press OK to save the change. If it is already checked, uncheck, press OK and then check it again.

Once you do this, check to see if 1Password shows up in the Notification customization dialog.

Another annoyance is that "right click" only display the 1Password entry on the menu if I right click on a browser window.

That's a feature provided by the browser itself and can only be used with the 1Password browser extension, so it is not possible for us to add it system-wide.

• alexdelara
    alexdelara
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks MikeT - unckeck/re-check did the trick for me.
    Browser-only feature, i can live with that, now that i know about it and the icon is back :-)

• You're welcome! I'm glad that helped.

This discussion has been closed.