I'm following steps for upgrading from 1Password 3 (specifically 3.6.5) to 6.0.1.

At this point I only have 1Password installed on my iPhone5.
Got to "Finish the Import" section without problem. Tried to launch ver. 6 to check import ... it doesn't ask for Master Password, rather "Welcome..." with "Create new vault" or "Sync existing vault" the only options. Selected "Sync" which leads to "import from version 3" option. Next, "Version 3 Import" screen calls for Open 1Password 3 which now only shows the version 3.6.5 data. At this point, going back to ver. 6, it's stuck on the "Version 3 Import" screen without any other options. Any idea what the problem is?

1Password Version: 3.6.5 to 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:ios/existing-user, kb:upgrade-ios, ug:ios/new-user, ug:ios/existing-user, kb:upgrade-ios

Comments

• david_baker
    david_baker
    Community Member

I've been following the "1Password 3.7.1 or earlier" section of the Agile Bits Article "How do I upgrade from 1Password 3 on iOS?"

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @david_baker,

So just to confirm, you've been following the steps in the 1Password 3.7.1 or earlier section and you've managed to extract a backup of your old 1Password 3 vault in the form of a .1ptbackup which you've then renamed so it ends in .1pt3import..

Now it might seem counterintuitive but the first step after you turn your attention to 1Password 6 for iOS is to create a new vault and this is to set up 1Password for iOS enough so it's in a state ready to import this .1pt3import. file. As you say 1Password for iOS is still asking you if you want to create a new vault I'm unsure if you have done this vital part yet. If you haven't but you still have the .1pt3import. file then you should be able to pick up from the Import your backup to 1Password 6 section.

Now it might be you're saying that you did create a new vault and that you've followed the steps but when you start the Finish the import section that 1Password has reverted to state where it hasn't been run before. That would be very unusual and definitely something we need to investigate. To proceed though, we would need to learn if you have followed all the steps in the Import your backup to 1Password 6 section.

We will definitely work with you to get this resolved :smile:

• david_baker
    david_baker
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback.

After having created the backup file and renaming it, I clicked on the first step of "Import your backup..." which called for setting up the new vault. That clickable instruction took me to "New...User" where the Note (a few lines down) referred me back to the legacy version instructions where I had just been. Based on the wording in the Note, I concluded that this New User section didn't apply since I wanted to use 1Password data that I already had.

Using your guidance, I went back to the Import step, started again, and for the most part everything worked as described. The only minor complication was that in the iTunes File Sharing section, while noting that the backup file had been imported (last night), did not load that file (today) into 1Password when Sync'd. I dragged the original backup file in again, Sync'd again, and now 1Password 6 is working well.

I assume now that the app is working properly, I can delete the backup file(s) as well as the old application.

Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to learning more about this app and how to use it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @david_baker,

So it seems we could clear up the steps but even then that you had think on your feet and repeat some until they took hold. I do apologise although it's always nice to hear in the end that you got there. If you suddenly saw a number of items in your vault I believe it was successful as the steps should mean you go from an empty vault to one with content from the 1Password 3 backup. You should be free to remove the old files now but if you're concerned at all place them to one side so you know that they're still accessible.

Now with any iOS app the app's data is only stored on the iOS device and deleting the app causes the data to be removed. If you're concerned at all you can keep 1Password 6 for iOS compatible backups elsewhere and this guide, Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS) will show you how to both create and restore if need be.

If you have any other questions at all about the newer 1Password 6 for iOS we have a forum dedicated to iOS which you can find at 1Password > iOS :smile: I hope 1Password 6 for iOS serves you well.

This discussion has been closed.