Problems with Firefox addon

Options

I am still on the 30 day trial of 1Password, and though I am liking it much better than Chrome's own password management... I have to sell this for my wife. We share too many accounts for it to be any other way.

She uses Firefox primarily. I have installed 1Password for windows, and the Firefox addon for her. I've even managed to get the vault synced to where we can both use it.

I've converted one of our utility bill accounts to 1Password, and have it now set to some 50char monstrosity. I can log into it just fine (right click, select 1 password, select the account). However, when she attempts to do the same, I can see 1Password fill the username and password... then something curious happens.

It fills with the 1Password password (50 asterisks), but immediately afterward I see Firefox's stupid password management popup (the one asking if we want to save it). But nearly instantly after that, Firefox refills the password with the old one (8 or 9 asterisks). It manages to do this just before 1Password does a submit() to the web form...

So it sends the old passwords, fails out.

I've went into Firefox's security settings, and I've deleted all passwords for this website. Doesn't help.

And I can't disable Firefox passwords yet either (my wife hasn't started converting any of her logins or our other joint logins). I'd like for her to see it work, get some practice, get used to it before we dive in.

Is there a way to fix this behavior? She tried it with Chrome and works there, but if she has to switch browsers to use this, it will be more difficult to persuade her that we need to use it.

What Firefox settings will disable this nonsense?

Comments

• Hi @DrigoBortensson,

Thanks for trying out 1Password.

First, is FireFox Sync turned on? I wonder if it is pulling the entires back even after you've deleted it. It shouldn't be able to restore if it doesn't have that information. Usually, just disabling the feature should stop it from restoring, which is what we've mentioned in our article here: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/

One thing you can try is exporting the Firefox password database and import it into 1Password, you can create a second vault just for your wife to use or just to provide a backup in case something goes wrong.

You can use the Password Exporter add-on for Firefox to export the data and then import it as CSV in 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.