1password quits unexpectedly

Options
amccathie
amccathie
Community Member

I have had the basic 1password on my iphone for sometime. Now it unexpectedly quits each time after I use it. Each time I also send a report. Sorry, I can't say what version it is because I have used it for a couple of years.

Comments

• Hey @amccathie! I've moved this discussion to the iOS forum so it's among platform company. :) I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with 1Password on your iPhone. Could you please provide us with the following info?

That will help us figure out what's going on. :)

• amccathie
    amccathie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Penderworth, my iOS version is 9.0.2. I have an iPhone 5. I have now found the 1password version it is 37.2 and the date is Nov 2, 2012.

• @amccathie Thanks for the update! As you've discovered, you're running 1Password 3 for iOS, which is a rather old version of our iOS app. It was replaced in late 2012. The good news is that we have a newer, much-improved version which is a a freemium app that includes the basic functionality for free with the option to unlock the Pro features via in-app purchase.

You will need to follow our guide to migrate your 1Password 3 for iOS data to 1Password 6 for iOS.

Let me know how everything goes!

• amccathie
    amccathie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Penderworth, this all worked fine until I reached step 8:

"You¹ll be taken to the new 1Password setup screens. When you¹re asked to
    choose a password, it¹s important to type in the same Master Password you
    currently use with 1Password 3."

I bought 1password about three years ago and I can't find any record of the master
    password only the four digit code I use to access the vault. It also asks
    for a password hint. I don't have any idea what that could be.

What can I do now?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @amccathie,

I have bad news I'm afraid :( The PIN was a quick unlock code but the vault is actually secured by way of a Master Password. That's not strictly accurate but the technical details are complex enough that this approximation isn't an awful statement. The crux of the issue is without a Master Password I cannot think of a good option. Copying a backup won't work as we would need the Master Password to work with the backup and the existing Master Password is required if you want to change the Master Password.

Sadly I fear you are restricted to copy and pasting between 1Password 3 and 1Password 6 on your iOS device. Even worse given the crashing that occurs. If you have access to an iOS device still running iOS 8 you could maybe use that device to allow copy and pasting without so much crashing. I do wish I could think of something that would be more helpful but when it comes to the security it's designed not to be easily circumnavigated as any weakness is just that, a weakness.

It shouldn't be asking for a password hint though, it should be showing you the password hint that was set at the time you set your Master Password. After three years though I'm not sure a hint would help me.

• amccathie
    amccathie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, thanks for your comment. I took a punt with the password and it seemed to work. It appeared to show the data being imported from 1password 3. But the new problem is that I can't open 1password 6. It asks me to key in my master password. It says it's unlocked then immediately switches to the properties page. I disabled both the sync with icloud and touch ID functions but I still can't open 1password 6. When I unlock 1password 3 it asks me if I want to import the data to the 1password version. I have two mails from agile bits welcoming me to 1password6. Could it be that it was not the correct master password after all? If this is the case, I presume I would have to download a new 1password 6. If there is just a small glitch somewhere, my question is then how do I set up a touch ID option. I was not given an opportunity to be set a touch ID function as I went through the different steps. Hopefully, we are nearly there! Or...?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @amccathie,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the properties page. Could you please describe what you are seeing when you launch 1Password 6 with a little more detail?

Thanks!

Ben

• amccathie
    amccathie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks for your post. I mean settings and not properties. I have a German version and was translating into English. This is what happens when I launch 1password 6. 1. I tap in the master password. 2. It then says it is decrypting. 3. It then says unlocked. 4. Then it switches to settings without giving me access to 1password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @amccathie. Along the bottom of the screen you should see a row of icons, one of which will be Categories (or the German equivalent). Please select that icon to access your data.

Thanks!

Ben

• amccathie
    amccathie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks a million for that! Yes, I can now access the data on 1password. I promise you this is my last question: Do I have to always access the data via categories and is there any way I can set up a touch ID option? I really have to say thanks from a complicated customer to the agile bits team for their patience and good humor.

• amccathie
    amccathie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, please ignore what I said about categories. I worked it out – it's obvious. I’m a bit slow in the morning. But is there any way I can set up a touch ID option?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update!

You can read about how to set up Touch ID here:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/touch-id.html

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.