Licensing questions

mbnocx
mbnocx
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm currently with LastPass and I have some questions about 1Password pricing.

• I have a Windows desktop pc, two Windows laptops, an Android smartphone and Android tablet. What licenses will I need?
  • Is there a cost for the Android license and how many devices can it be used on?
  • What are the upgrade costs? I need to know ahead of time to plan. Not knowing and waiting until I've paid is just not smart.
  • When are upgrades due? Yearly or when the software updates?
  • Does the Android version let you login to websites from your phone like LastPass does?
  • Does 1Password support Yubikey for two factor authentication?
  • Is the only option for support a public forum? Not all support issues should be viewable by the world.

Thank you!

Comments

• Hi @mbnocx,

I have a Windows desktop pc, two Windows laptops, an Android smartphone and Android tablet. What licenses will I need?

Just two, the Windows license and the in-app purchase for the Android app.

The single license includes the ability to share the license with up to 5 extra family members and each member on this license can use the same license on any numbers of PCs. So, you can use 1Password on any computers you have at any locations as long as you're the only 1Password user on the PC. We do not keep track of computers, install or activations, just human users.

Is there a cost for the Android license and how many devices can it be used on?

It's free for the first 30 days unlimited and after that, it'll revert to be a free reader, which you can make changes on the computer to sync to your Android devices but if you purchase the in-app package for 10$, it will remove the editing restriction. Right now, we have a sale going that you can unlock for 6$. You can find it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agilebits.onepassword

You can restore it on any Android devices linked with your Play account.

What are the upgrade costs? I need to know ahead of time to plan. Not knowing and waiting until I've paid is just not smart.

It changes depending on what goes into the major version, we don't always have the same price. Often it is half the price or more and sometime we offer free upgrades. For an example, 1Password 6 for iOS was a free upgrade to 1Password 4 and 5 for iOS customers and 1Password 5 for Mac was free for 1Password 4 for Mac customers.

We also tend to have long grace periods for free upgrades. For an example, when 1Password 4 for Windows was released in mid 2014, we gave everyone who purchased 1Password 1x for Windows since 2013 a free upgrade while the pre-2013 customers could upgrade for half the price.

When are upgrades due? Yearly or when the software updates?

It is when the new major version is ready, there are no yearly plans or anything like that. For an example, 1Password 1.x for Windows was released on 2010-04-19 and it's successor, 1Password 4.x for Windows was released on 2014-06-17.

Does the Android version let you login to websites from your phone like LastPass does?

Yes, you can see how it works here: https://support.1password.com/guides/android/log-in-to-websites.html

Does 1Password support Yubikey for two factor authentication?

No, it does not. 1Password isn't an online service nor does it store your data on any servers in the cloud. The data is only stored locally on the device, you can sync via Wi-Fi sync only or using the local storage if you want. This means the two-factor authentication is not vital for 1Password as it is for cloud-based services. However, if you choose to use Dropbox to sync your data, you can use Dropbox's two factor authentication as well.

Is the only option for support a public forum? Not all support issues should be viewable by the world.

No, the public support forum is just the first line, so that you can get quick help from both our team and our community if it does not require private support and we will help with the next step if you need the private support. You can email us at support+windows@agilebits.com for Windows help and support+android@agilebits.com for Android support.

• mbnocx
    mbnocx
    Community Member

Thank you for the response. I have a follow up question regarding two factor authentication. I understand this isn't a service and the login only decrypts the database. LastPass recently had a hack incident and I didn't bat an eye because I have two factor enabled. Since the database for 1Password is local what happens when a hard drive fails and that database is gone? Or someone reinstall their PC and forgets to backup the database? All the passwords are gone? That's not very comforting. And Dropbox has been hacked too so I'm not to comfortable storing something so sensitive in that space. And let's say someone gets my database from Dropbox and then stores it on their PC, now they can take their time hacking my password.

I'm definitely interested to understand more about the local storage versus cloud storage that I'm used to.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

Since the database for 1Password is local what happens when a hard drive fails and that database is gone? Or someone reinstall their PC and forgets to backup the database? All the passwords are gone?

@mbnocx: Unless you have a backup, your data is gone. Backup your data! :glasses:

That's not very comforting.

Indeed. But the part that's comforting is that only you have control of your data. After all, that's part of the appeal, but of course it's a double-edged sword:

"With great power comes great responsibility." — Uncle Ben

'Nuff said. :sunglasses:

And Dropbox has been hacked too so I'm not to comfortable storing something so sensitive in that space. And let's say someone gets my database from Dropbox and then stores it on their PC, now they can take their time hacking my password.

That's absolutely correct. Of course you're already aware that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. But of course your data may fall into the wrong hands if your account (or device) where it is stored is compromised. Fortunately brute forcing it will take them more time than they have, provided you're using a long, strong, unique Master Password (which is further strengthened by PBKDF2). 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

I'm definitely interested to understand more about the local storage versus cloud storage that I'm used to.

Indeed! I know it's a lot to absorb, but be sure to ask any questions as they arise. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.