Is it still possible to get a version compatible with iOS 8.4?

jchw
jchw
Community Member

I am brand new to 1Password, coming as a long-time user of competitor software. After a few moments with the desktop versions I decided to plunge and buy a license for Mac and Windows.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to install it on my phone. I have it running iOS 8.4.0 with no intent to upgrade for a while for technical reasons. (I.E., I would actually have to drop 1Password versus updating my phone.)

I like what I've seen so far, but there's a whole lot of seemingly large deal breakers going on. While I can understand that a security product may require the latest operating system updates, there's a lot of surprising stuff w.r.t. 1Password itself. I get that one person on a forum isn't going to cause a shift in a company's profit model, but in a modern world it feels like I was punished for using multiple operating systems by having to eat a larger license cost. It's been a long time since I've had to pay multiple times to use a single piece of software on essentially the same platform (I just don't consider booting into a different partition to mean an additional cost.)

And if a Linux version were to be released soon, I'd certainly have to pay again. But that seems unlikely because the request has been shoved under the rug for a few years now, based on cursory web searches. For a piece of software that becomes mandatory pretty much automatically by using it, not supporting Linux is basically locking your users from using Linux in any capacity as well as Linux users from using your software in any capacity. It sucks, especially if you use Linux for work.

But iOS is a supported operating system and I can't even pay again to be able to use it. I can't seem to find IPA files for previous versions (and I'm not looking for a 'cracked' release.) Nothing is available on iTunes other than the version requiring iOS 9. There's not much mention other than angry forum posters.

I should probably just refund and go back to my existing password manager, but I don't want to. It's ugly, and I never really trusted the developers that much. Is there any hope for me to be saved from my clunky password manager?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:iOS 8

Comments

• Hi @jchw,

Thank you for taking the time to write in. I apologize for the delayed reply.

We've heard reports of success from other customers that if you download 1Password for iOS from iTunes on a computer using your Apple ID that you'd then be able to download 1Password 5 for iOS (the last version to run on iOS 8) using the Purchased section of the App Store on your iOS device.

It certainly isn't our intention to 'punish' anyone for their choice of platform(s), but yes, we do sell the software for each platform as a separate product. Unlike many modern companies who outsource the "porting" of their software to other platforms we write all of our code in house and develop native software for each platform we support. We feel that this provides a much more natural feeling product. It is also, of course, the more expensive route to go. We've always imagined 1Password as a premium product, and this is one of the ways in which we feel we establish that premium feel.

That said, with iOS, we've shifted to a "freemium" model where you can use the base app free of charge. You only need to purchase the Pro features if they add value for you.

As for Linux, it certainly isn't off the table, but based on our current workflow of developing native software for each platform it would require a fairly major undertaking, and we just simply haven't made it there yet. It is something I personally would like to see as well.

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions I'd be happy to help and should be able to respond much quicker this time.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.