Storing data file on unmountable volume

Intensity
Intensity
Community Member
edited May 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hi.

I'm not able to save the 1Password 3.5.9 (30884) Data File to a volume that I have manually mounted within /Volumes/ on OS X Snow Leopard using the following command:

mount_hfs -u root -g admin -o nodev,noexec,nosuid /dev/disk9 /Volumes/MountPoint

The directory is greyed out when I navigate to it when I am choosing the Data File location. I made sure to chmod 777 that directory, and I also ran a "SetFile -a v" on the directory tree so that the path is not considered hidden by the Finder. Also, the "mount" command shows that tree as:

/dev/disk9 on /Volumes/MountPoint (hfs, NFS exported, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, journaled)

I'm wondering if there is a workaround for this issue, as it seems like I basically can't save the Data File to another volume. This is not a network volume; it's an ordinary HFS case-sensitive filesystem created from an encrypted sparse bundle.

Comments

• Intensity
    Intensity
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Looks like I can either manually edit the property list in ~/Library/Preferences/ws.agile.1Password.plist to set the keychain location to an arbitrary path, or I can do the following (as advised by customer support):

(1) Quit 1Password.
    (2) Move the keychain file to the preferred location.
    (3) Open the keychain file from that location; 1Password is meant to ask if I'd like to use that as the default keychain location.

It has been mentioned, when I heard from support, that this original limitation is in place to ensure data integrity. A dismountable filesystem is open to the Data File being damaged. Or perhaps the Data File could be overwritten in place on the root filesystem instead of within the preferred mount point.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Intensity, and thanks for updating the thread so quickly. Our support is so quick, you got an answer via email before I had a chance to reply here. :-)

For anyone else interested, here is Mike's reply via email:

The limitation is added due to the fact that the 1Password data file is a highly sensitive file that is updated all the time. Any file systems that is dismountable is restricted from being used as a data file location in order to maintain the data integrity on the data file. If that sparsebundle suddenly dismounts for any reason, your data file can be damaged and the browser extensions will then cease to work correctly. Restarting the 1Password app will try to make a new data file in the default location.

There is an easy way to fix this as long as you understand the risks of doing so. Close 1Password, move your data file (1Password.agilekeychain) to the encrypted drive and then double-click it. 1Password will then open and prompt you if you want to use it in that path.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.