Why don't attachments show up in Android app?

Bob_SF
Bob_SF
Community Member

In the Mac version of 1Password, I have a number of attachments in the form of JPEGs. These are mainly for ID cards. None of these show up in the Android app, however. I have multiple Android apps that can display JPEGs, so I'm covered for display capability. What could be wrong?

1Password Version: Mac 5.3.2 & Android 4.5.3
Extension Version: Chrome 4.4.3.90 & Firefox 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Wi-Fi
Referrer: kb-search:attachments

Comments

• Unfortunately, syncing attachments using WiFi is not yet supported on Android. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We have an open issue regarding syncing attachments, and I'll certainly add your vote. :)
    ref: OPA-600

• Bob_SF
    Bob_SF
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

That's a disappointment. I was expecting to use virtual ID cards. There are a couple of support pages that suggest attachments can be viewed in the Android version. Here's one: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-android/4/en/topic/file-attachments. Here's another: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20503/cannot-show-photo-attachment. That one is about the beta, but the comment is more than 20 months old, so I thought the function would be incorporated by now. In June last year, a blog post about 1Password for Android lists "Support for viewing attachments added from Mac or PC" as a feature (https://blog.agilebits.com/2014/06/10/1password-4-for-android-is-here). So you can see why I thought the feature existed.

• saad
    edited October 2015

Attachment viewing is only supported if you are syncing using Dropbox or local storage sync. Wi-Fi sync is relatively newer to 1Password on Android, so we don't have support for attachment syncing yet. I apologize for the confusion and I will be happy to add your vote for this. Thanks!

• wavyphotons
    wavyphotons
    Community Member

Oh man .. that sucks. Having paid for Mac software and $6.49 for Android , I was expecting it to have this feature. I understand you can't commit to timeline, but can you explain what it would take to implement this feature? i.e. why it's taking so long.

• Thanks for your support @wavyphotons. I’m not able to comment on the technical details of what is required to support attachment syncing using Wi-Fi sync, but I can say that we don’t have active development towards this feature at this moment. The team is working very hard towards the next release for Android that will include some of the bigger changes commonly requested by our users.

This feature is still active on our roadmap, but I don’t have a timeframe of when we will look into it. I’ll add your vote to help prioritize the issue. Let us know if you have any questions.

• wavyphotons
    wavyphotons
    Community Member

ok, so to workaround it, I can do a manual sync (over local storage) and can I do a wifi-sync after that or will doing the latter erase the images from the phone ?

• That's right, the only workaround is to either use Dropbox sync or local storage sync. You will not be able to switch to Wi-Fi sync after configuring local storage sync, so that won't be an option. Sorry for the inconvenience! :(

• wavyphotons
    wavyphotons
    Community Member

Hi , this feature is not in 1password 6, right?

• Hey @wavyphotons. We were not able to add support for syncing attachments with Wi-Fi to 1Password 6. I'll let the developers know you're asking about it though! :)

• NoOneHere
    NoOneHere
    Community Member

saad: "Attachment viewing is only supported if you are syncing using Dropbox or local storage sync."

I have Dropbox Sync enabled as Folder Sync doesn't seem to support OPVault yet (I browse to it and it tells me it can't find a vault) on Android 6.x with 1Password 6.3.1b1 and attachment viewing still doesn't work as of today. By what you're saying and what the documentation states, this should be working. I know it's downloading the attachments on sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@NoOneHere: Sorry for the confusion! Saad's earlier comment predates OPVault support in 1Password for Android, so it would have been even more confusing for people at that time if he'd talked about OPVault.

Attachments are not yet available as part of 1Password for Android's recently released OPVault support, but it's something we'll be adding in the future. Currently OPVault is only supported with Dropbox Sync. Saad was referring specifically to the AgileKeychain format, since it was the only one available at the time.

• satiw
    satiw
    Community Member

I am sorry, but this is getting beyond what's expectable.

We've heard enough for far too long about the attachments feature being added to the Android version of the app! ...talking about the Wifi option of syncing.

I have used 1Password on the Mac, purchased it again when using an iPhone and enjoying it thoroughly. Now, I've been with Nexus for a while and.....surprise! No attachments with Wifi???

I don't understand why such simple, yet useful feature is left out for some of us for such a long time?

Saying, it's on our radar does not cut anymore. It's retarded.

Satiw.

• Hey Satiw! :) First off, I am very sorry the lack of attachment support for WLAN Server sync is affecting your workflow. As you already know, this feature is on our development roadmap, but we do not have an estimated time of release.

We would love to complete this feature, but it really comes down to priority. Frankly, some features are more requested and some are much more time-sensitive than others. These ones require higher priority.

With that being said, if you need an immediate solution to access your attachment files, I would recommend checking out the sync methods available, like local storage sync. I will let the team know we are seeing more requests for attachment support for WLAN Server sync. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

• vvvvalentin
    vvvvalentin
    Community Member

Any update on this?
    Today I was shocked that I couldn't access my attachments on Android. If I didn't have my laptop with me I'd be absolutely screwed.
    This is totally unacceptable! I've been a long time user, I bought multiple versions of 1password for mac, pc, ios and android. And now I see this topic where you basically have been promising the must have feature for 2 years.
    Is there a working version or a workaround? Otherwise I'm switching to another service.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vvvvalentin: Thanks for reaching out. I apologize for the confusion. It's something we'd like to add to 1Password for Android, but as there is other work to be done as well, we haven't promised this or sold 1Password for Android based on this feature. I'm sorry that we're not able to offer you exactly what you want today, but it's best to use the tool that meets your needs. And if 1Password doesn't have the features you expect, we understand if you choose something else instead. It's up to us to continue to improve the app so that hopefully we can meet your demands in the future. Thanks for being honest with us. :blush:

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member

@saad
    You said 'With that being said, if you need an immediate solution to access your attachment files, I would recommend checking out the sync methods available, like local storage sync'

I've got the same desapointment when traveling abroad without my MacBook and discovered that attachements were not in my 1P android mobile !! What a mess.

So I would like you explain how to do a local sync. What is it, a sync between my MB and my mobile but not by wifi ?
    Please give me details or links.
    Thanks

• Hey @webregnet. Sorry for the trouble you had while traveling! You can indeed switch to local storage sync, but this means that 1Password on Android is syncing with a local folder--not with another device. So your Android won't continue to sync with your Mac if you enable local storage sync, unless you synced that local folder using some third-party service.

The easiest way to sync your attachments in this case is using Dropbox to sync between your Mac and Android. You would need to start over on Android to switch sync methods. Then you can choose either Dropbox or local storage on the first launch.

Let us know if you have more questions!

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member

Thanks Peri,
    I don't want my vault on the cloud and on Dropbox, it's a non-sens in security.
    To resume a local storage :
    I do a start over. on Android.
    I create a dedicated folder on Android (ex. 1Password)
    I export 1Password.opvault from my MacBook to Android 1Password folder (ex. using Android Transfer App)
    I sync between MB and Android with the best sync App ever Goodsync, each time I need an update data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

@webregnet: If you want to do that, that's fine. Just keep in mind your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance, and does work based on the principle of hope that no one will ever find your data on your phone or wherever else you store it. And since we don't support 3rd party software, be sure to backup your data if you choose to go that route. Better safe than sorry.

• Just to add on to what @brenty said, @webregnet, you'll need to make sure the vault is in .agilekeychain format rather than .opvault. To create this folder on Mac, select Help > Tools, and uncheck Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync. This will allow you to create a 1Password.agilekeychain folder containing your data and attachments, which 1Password on Android will be able to read. :)

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty, and for your usefull advise, Peri ;-)

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Since I can't remember which 1P update, 1Password.agilekeychain folder became 1Password.opvault.
    But I remember at this time to get my attachements on Android, right ?
    What are the difference between both of them ?

• No problem, @webregnet. :) OPVault is a more modern format than Agile Keychain, and you can find more on the differences here:
    https://support.1password.com/opvault-overview/

While 1Password on Android can sync with a local Agile Keychain vault (including your attachments), it won't be able to sync an OPVault vault that way. For OPVault and attachments, you'd need to use Dropbox.

Let me know if you have more questions!

• gnomet
    gnomet
    Community Member

Are there any news or plans regarding having files to sync to Android without setting up a Dropbox sync?

I noted that if I'm using a 1password.com account I don't even have sync tab in my the preferences on my 1password for mac, so I can't easily switch to Dropbox sync. And also syncing via 1password.com would be much less of a setup hassle.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gnomet: I don't have anything to announce now, but this is high on our priority list. We're really anxious to have Documents on our Android devices too. We'll be really excited to share once this is available. Thanks for letting us know how important this is to you as well!

Regarding Dropbox, if you want to go that route, you can setup the app from scratch and sync your vault from another device through Dropbox to start, and then add your 1Password.com account to have both.

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member

This is a very good news, at last.

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member

Sometimes we (customers) think that 1P priorities are not ours ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@webregnet: That's fair. I'm really sorry if it seems that way, and it's understandable. We can't generally share information on what we're working on because often things we think will be done soon end up getting pushed back or delayed indefinitely due to something else blocking, or because we realize that what we have just isn't good enough. And of course with something that involves our most important data, like Documents, we really need to make sure we get everything right. Compared too something like a menu, screwing up data is a much more serious matter. When in doubt, just remember that we're first and foremost 1Password users ourselves. We may have slightly different priorities since everyone is different, but generally we're on the same page because we depend on it as much as you do. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.