littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni

Comments

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Good morning,

I am running 1 password 5 on el capitan. I have experienced the same issue with the 1 password browser extension (Firefox) not initially displaying all possible logins as stored in the main 1 password app. If I log in to the main 1 password app and then return to the 1 password browser extension, all of my logins are displayed.

I have checked your advice above and the logins are selected to "always", but they still don't display on the browser extension until I open the main app.

Could there be another reason for this issue in my case?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @zxsder,

I've split your comment off and placed it into our Mac forum :smile:

I would like you to check something for me please. If you perform a Spotlight search for the word 1Password do you get results that contain both a 1Password application and a 1Password 5 by any chance? I'm suspecting that you have both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password which store data in separate locations due to sandboxing. As a result you can end up with two vaults if for any reason you downloaded 1Password 5 from our AgileBits Download page but you purchased 1Password from Apple's Mac App Store. What you're seeing could be the result of incorrect version being loaded on start up by OS X but when you open the main window that 1Password mini is closed in favour of the correct one. If I'm correct it's an easy enough fix once we've figured out which one contains the most up to date vault.

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning littlebobbytales,

I have three results from the spotlight search:
    1password mini
    1password and
    1password 5

I am not sure which version has the most correct vault? Using finder, I opened 1 password, checked the vault and then closed 1password. I then opened 1password 5 and checked the vault. The 1password 5 vault is the most up to date and in finder displays as a larger file than 1password.

Do I delete the 1password application and keep the 1password 5 application or is there another fix?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zxsder,

It sounds like littlebobbytables' theory was correct, and that you have both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password 5 installed at the same time. The Mac App Store version is named 1Password.app, and the AgileBits Store version is named 1Password 5.app (they are both version 5, but the app files are named differently). You said 1Password 5.app (i.e. the AgileBits Store version) has your most up to date info. Just to clarify, does that version have all your latest 1Password info? Or do you have some data in the Mac App Store version that is newer than (or missing from) the AgileBits Store version?

If everything is in the AgileBits Store version, that will make things a bit easier. The next step would be to figure out which version you want to keep, and which you want to delete. The main difference between those versions is that only the Mac App Store version has the iCloud sync option. Since you have the Mac App Store version installed, you must have purchased that from the Mac App Store at some point - therefore, I'm guessing you'll want to move your data over to the Mac App Store version and use that (and delete the AgileBits Store version). However, please let us know for sure. Once we know, we'll be able to give you the steps to get that all set up and working correctly on your Mac. Thanks!

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning Drew,

Thanks for your help (and littlebobbytales :).

All of the data is in the 1Password5.app and I use dropbox for syncing data.

I also use 1Password on my iphone and ipad. Will this issue affect them in any way? The data in 1Password on my mobile devices matches the data in the 1Password5.app on my imac.

Let me know if you need any further information.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

@zxsder: Not at all! Your vault is actually completely separate from the app itself. And since you have your data in Dropbox, you can simply open the vault again when you set up sync. Also, Dropbox sync works just fine with the AgileBits Store version (1Password 5.app) too, so you don't have to worry about it causing sync issues for your other devices — all of them can use it. I hope this helps! :)

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning Brenty,

Thanks for the answer, but sorry, I do not understand what you are advising.

Previously I wrote that 1Password mini has different data to the 1Password app. It was suggested that I check if I had more than one installation of 1Password, which I discovered I did. I understood the next step would be to delete/remove (?) one of the 1Password programs I have installed on my computer.

As per Drew's comments, he was waiting for me to advise which version (1Password.app or 1Password 5.app) had the most up to date data and then I understood Drew was going to offer advice ("Once we know, we'll be able to give you the steps to get that all set up and working correctly on your Mac") about how to fix the issue.

Whilst I appreciate your help Brenty, I don't understand the instructions you have provided.

Is any other assistance available please.

And I the service provided by everyone has been fantastic.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @zxsder,

Sorry for any confusion we've inadvertently caused. Given we know your current data is in 1Password 5 The easiest way to approach this is to drag the 1Password application to your Trash and reboot your Mac. Afterwards you may need to launch the 1Password 5 copy to ensure the 1Password mini entry is correctly recorded in launchd. Don't worry, all you should need to do is open 1Password 5. If you follow this up with another reboot you should find 1Password mini is present in your menu bar as normal and that 1Password mini and the main window now show the same results.

After this we can remove the bad data but just removing the spare copy of 1Password will be enough.

Now you will have purchased 1Password from Apple's Mac App Store and what we've done here is left you with the AgileBits Store copy from our site. As you're using Dropbox that isn't an issue at all but should you ever desire switching to iCloud we will help you move back to the Mac App Store version.

First things first though, let's make sure we can prune down the number of copies of 1Password to one and that you're happy that the visible vault is the correct one with all of your data. We can consider the additional steps afterwards :smile:

This discussion has been closed.