Upgrading from Version 3 to 5

Options
PaulOverman
PaulOverman
Community Member

I have family 3 version of 1Password. I have never needed newer features yet to justify upgrading, until I upgraded to Yosemite. So, version 3 does not work now. I originally purchased from Agilebts.com store. It appears I would be better off upgrading using Mac Store and buying latest version at $29.99, rather than the Agile store upgrade price of $24.95. Is this correct? This gets very confusing, since originally I had to pay extra to get family license, now the Mac Store appears to show I can use the one license with family members. Please clarify for me, what is best option for me. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:icloud-faq, kb:switch-from-agilebits-store

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @PaulOverman,

So the one real difference between the Mac App Store version and AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac is iCloud Sync. To access the required iCloud frameworks required for iCloud Sync an app or application must have come from one of Apple's stores. That's really the one big difference. Both versions can be shared with up to five other family members although to do this in the Mac App Store requires Apple's Family Sharing. Due to the sale that is on there isn't a big difference between the price of the Mac App Store version and the upgrade price but normally you would be comparing something like $49.99 versus $24.99.

So with the sale on it's a little less black and white than it normally is. Usually it's full price to get iCloud Sync support with the upgrade price only if you don't feel iCloud Sync is important. Given the small price difference it's hard to say. It's probably worth $5 so that should you decide you want to use iCloud Sync it's there. It really is the only difference though. If sharing the licence with your family is important do check out Apple's Family Sharing first as it does require linking Apple IDs and the head of the family becomes responsible for all purchases.

If you feel I haven't answered anything clearly enough please do let us know :smile:

• PaulOverman
    PaulOverman
    Community Member
    Options

I own 1Password 3.8, I believe as a family pack, purchased online. I see to upgrade to newest version today, as a family pack would cost me $35. I also see a holiday special on App Store. What is the best way for me to go. The cheapest sounds best, but will I lose any family sharing features or have any difficulty with the registration and license if I now purchase through App Store instead of the online upgrade. Thanking you, Paul O

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaulOverman,

I noticed you also asked about this back in October, so I've merged your new post with that discussion. I see that littlebobbytables gave you an answer back then, and I'll be happy to elaborate on what he said.

First, you'll notice that we no longer have a "family license" option in our AgileBits Store. We made some changes to the way our licenses work in fall of 2014, and the result is that we now offer one type of license which can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household. If you visit our Upgrade Store and enter your license code, you'll see your upgrade discount and license options.

Similarly, there's no such thing as a "family license" on the Mac App Store, but if you choose to purchase 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store, you can set up Apple's "Family Sharing" feature in order to share the app with your family members. You can find information on setting that up on Apple's site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18977

Now, as you've noticed, we're currently having a sale on 1Password. But if you're looking for the best deal, please note that the price from our upgrade store should be less than the sale price on the Mac App Store (please note that Apple does not give us the ability to do upgrade pricing on the Mac App Store). However, if iCloud sync is important to you, we recommend that you purchase the Mac App Store version.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• PaulOverman
    PaulOverman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, worked it out with your feedback and upgrade link, and now using latest version. paul o

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! On behalf of Drew, you are quite welcome. Thanks for taking the time to let us know all is well. :)

Have a great rest of your week and a lovely holiday!

This discussion has been closed.