How to uninstall 1password on mac, so it finds no previous data on re--install?

Options
rwellscs
rwellscs
Community Member

Periodically, something catastrophic happens to my file synchronization, typically when I add a new computer to the mix. Yesterday I got a new MacBook, and restored a time machine backup into it to get it started. At some point during the evening, the contents of my 1password folder in dropbox disappeared, and 1password became disconnected from it on the two machines related by time machine restore. Each of them ended up with 1password thinking it was still syncing with dropbox, but linked to a folder on the desktop, while dropbox knew nothing about this folder.

Anyway, I share the password file with my wife through dropbox, and she had become disconnected in a simpler way, her 1password just stopped being synced to dropbox. So I have used her copy as the source of truth, and I have synched it to a new folder location in dropbox, and deleted and re-installed 1password on our three iOS devices, iphones and ipads, and in each case I get a very clean start up message that lets me choose whether I want to connect to an existing vault, and lets me select the correct new vault in dropbox and sync up to it. Sweet, 4 out of 7 devices covered without much trouble.

But I cannot figure out how to do the same with 1password on my 3 other mac computers running OSX. I move the application to the trash bin, and i empty the trash bin. I even search for files with 1password in their name and delete them and empty the trash. But when I re-install 1password fresh from the App Store, it asks me no questions, instead it prompts me for my master password, and does not accept the password I've been using for the last month, but rather my previous password from a month ago. SOmehow it has found a copy of the vault that is old and out of date. I have tried syncing under these circumstances in the past, and it is more likely to delete stuff from the other mac and devices, than it is to add the stuff in the drop box source of truth to its own out of date copy.

What I want is very simple: WHen I start the app for the first time after install, I want a chance to tell it which vault to use. Or when I set it up to sync with dropbox, I want the choice of discarding everything I've got, and totally accepting what is in dropbox as the source of truth. Or I want instructions on how to delete everything it might find from previous install, before I start it after re-install. How can I do something of this nature?

Thanks, Robert

1Password Version: 5.3 Apple Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:remove old vault, kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @rwellscs,

So as you've discovered 1Password does try to be helpful although there are occasions where it doesn't get it quite right. It's a bit like a keen puppy in this respect as it brings you a sodden and chewed newspaper - you're left thinking "thanks but..." Of course when 1Password gets it right it looks nice :smile:

The best place to start is with our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide. This might not be enough but when you next start up 1Password if you see the lock screen and it looks a little like this

then we might be making progress. The part I've underlined is actually clickable and if you do you should see the following

You will either hopefully see the correct Agile Keychain or if need be you can use the Find Another... option and tell 1Password "I mean this one right here!"

If this doesn't allow you to get up and running again on the Macs please let us know and we'll start digging a bit deeper. One way or another though we will get this resolved :smile:

This discussion has been closed.