Sync multiple vaults via Wifi - Windows and iOS

I purchased the iOS pro version as one of the features was accessing and syncing multiple vaults. I have 2 vaults on my windows machine. My primary one is setup to sync via WiFi. I can't figure out how to get the 2nd one to sync via WiFi. I have gone to preferences and there is no option to choose which vaults to sync. There isn't anything in the wifi sync menu either. I tried just doing a normal wifi sync after opening the 2nd vault, and my iphone says it can't find the pc, even though the secret code is the same.

So my question.....how can I sync my 2nd vault from windows to iOS over Wifi.

Version: both latest, Windows 4.6.0.586, iOS 6.0.1

• Note.....I don't want my database in the cloud, so don't suggest using DropBox. The only reason I chose 1Password to begin with was that I could control my database without putting it in the cloud

1Password Version: Windows 4.6.0.586, iOS 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 8.1, iOS 9.0.2
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: kb:sync-options, ug:ios/sync-over-wifi, kb-search:wifi sync multiple vaults

Comments

• @andrewstrauss - I'm sorry but in 1Password on Windows you cannot use WiFi to sync secondary vaults. The only option is Dropbox. I'm sorry - I know you said not to suggest Dropbox :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andrewstrauss: Sorry for the confusion. Both 1Password and its documentation does not assume a bias against Dropbox. If that is a deal breaker for you, I understand. If you're within the 30 day money-back guarantee period, just contact us at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll be happy to give you a refund.

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @andrewstrauss,

Providing incomplete documentation and forcing users to ask you on the forum when things don't work is annoying, and leads to a poor customer experience.

We agree, we already have a request in our system for our docs team to clarify this limitation for Windows users among other improvements we need to make toward our docs.

ref: DOCS-280

• If there is anything else we can do, please do let us know.

• walchjc
    walchjc
    Community Member

Just to add to this discussion thread, I was in the exact same scenario with the same experience. All materials seemed to tout the ability to sync via Wi-Fi for those concerned about security, and also stated the ability to sync multiple vaults from the computer, but no where could I find out how to do that between a PC and an iPhone.

Any chance that functionality might be added in a future update like it appears to be available between a Mac and iPhone?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

All materials seemed to tout the ability to sync via Wi-Fi for those concerned about security, and also stated the ability to sync multiple vaults from the computer, but no where could I find out how to do that between a PC and an iPhone.

@walchjc: That doesn't sound right to me, but if you can point me to the documentation you're referring to, I'll see that it gets fixed. I'm sorry for the confusion!

Ultimately though, it sounds like you may have simply been looking at Mac docs, where this is of course supported. It depends entirely on the sync server — the computer — and because 1Password for Windows works with a single vault at a time, that's all it can sync. We'd like to improve consistency across all platforms, but there will almost certainly always be some differences in functionality between them, due to both the platforms themselves and development cycles.

• walchjc
    walchjc
    Community Member

No worries at all. I think it was just the general conclusion I made after reading about all of the features on the site. One feature is Wi-Fi sync. Another feature is syncing multiple vaults. So the assumption is that one can sync multiple vaults via Wi-Fi. Even within the app settings, there was some confusion because I could set the sync service to Wi-Fi, and then under vaults it reads: "If you have created multiple vaults on your Mac or Windows PC, you can sync them here." I just didn't know there there was any platform inconsistency and it took some effort to discover that.

Overall, a great product and I will continue to use it! Thank you.

• I can see how you came to that conclusion, we'll try to clarify in the mobile versions' settings. Thanks!

On behalf of brenty, you're welcome.

• secret
    secret
    Community Member

I just purchased Pro version for $10 specifically to be able to sync multiple vaults from IOS. I too am disappointed that only DropBox sync for secondary vaults is possible. You really should explain that limitation in your release notes. It feels deceptive...not the kind of vibe you want from your security tools provider;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@secret: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Windows simply isn't capable of opening multiple vaults simultaneously, which is why you can't work with more than one at a time...and of course that also means it cannot sync data from a vault that is doesn't currently have access to. :(

I've added a mention of this to the Pro Features, and it should show up on the website within the next few days. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andrewstrauss: "Of course" isn't the same as "obvious", but you're absolutely right that not everything about 1Password is obvious to everyone! All software has limitations, and there's plenty of room for improvement in 1Password as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.