M v3.8.22 wasn't compatible with OS X El Capitan v.10.11. Caused big hassle. Is an upgrade coming?

I am running One Password v. 3.8.22 on a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" Retinal display. My One password had been working fine with OS X Yosemite v. 10.10.5. However, I upgraded to OS X El Capitan v. 10.11, and One Password was not compatible with OS X v.10.11. It caused me a big hassle. One Password opened, allowed to be try restoring data, but then crashed and sent an error message. Fortunately, I had a system backup on an Apple Time Machine. I was able to erase all files on my computer and reinstall everything from the saved back up that done the day before, meaning that I went back on OS X Yosemite v. 10.5.5. With this, I was able to recover all of my data in One Password. The reason for writing is to find out if Agile Bits plans to produce an update of my One Password software that will be compatible with OS X El Capitan v. 10.11? I need to upgrade my computer's operating system to OS X v. 10.11 so that all of it's programs will sync with the programs on my iPhone 5, which is running iOS 9.0.2. Also, if you are planning to issue an update, when will it be available? Finally, I want to express that I have liked One Password. However, because of the problems described above, I am not happy with Apple or Agile Bits. Thanks, Paul Clithero

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:icloud-faq

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @pclitherois,

The short and very blunt answer is there will not be an update for 1Password 3. We really ceased development on 1Password 3 back in 2013 (an update in 2014 was to notify users of the release of 1Password 4) or to put it another way the last reference to OS X was Mountain Lion. We released 1Password 4 in late 2013 and 1Password 5 in late 2014. Unfortunately for 1Password 3 progress in both OS X and the main browsers it works with has continued unabated leading to the situation we are currently in.

Your 1Password 3 licence has not expired, you can continue to run 1Password 3 but as it isn't under active development updates to OS X and the browsers, the key components 1Password 3 needs to interact with or use can lead to incompatibility. Now the update to 1Password 5 is not a free one I'm afraid but you do have options at the moment. We have a sale on just now meaning you could purchase the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 at a discounted price. You can also use your existing 1Password 3 licence key to obtain a very slight better price over the sale price at Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners while normally the difference is more pronounced. There is one difference between the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store version and that is only the Mac App Store version can sync to iCloud. This is due to restrictions in place by Apple where iCloud frameworks are only available to apps and applications obtained from one of their stores.

So this and other incompatibilities that have crept in over time are detailed in 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X.

It is quite likely that you have many questions or comments and we will do our best to address them all. If you find the tone of my reply was curt at all I do apologise, I just didn't want to mislead you at all as to the current status of 1Password 3. We do continue to support our users but with the release of El Capitan it does feel like 1Password has had its day in the sun.

• pclitherois
    pclitherois
    Community Member

Thanks for your thorough reply. I need to clarify some things. Is the 1 Password v. 5 the best one for the machine that I have? 2015 MacBook Pro 13" Retinal Display. If so, it sounds like the best place to purchase it would be the Mac App Store, because of compatibility with iCloud? How much will it cost at the Mac App Store? And how will it work in terms of transferring the data that is on my 1 Password v. 3?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pclitherois,

Thank you for replying and if my previous post helped break the bad news and inform then I feel I've met part of my goals.

So to answer your questions. Rathe than the hardware, it's better to think more about the operating system. As you are running the latest version of OS X, El Capitan, we would recommend the latest version of 1Password for Mac which is version 5. If there is any compatibility issue between 1Password for Mac and El Capitan this would be the version that would be updated and it has a number of improvements too that you may like. When the developers work on 1Password it's version 5 that sees the gains until at some point I assume we release version 6.

With the sale on right now the very small price difference between an upgrade licence and a full licence means I would probably tend towards the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac. If you decide you do want to use iCloud Sync then it's available and if you don't, if you decide to use Dropbox or Wi-Fi Sync then you've lost nothing. That's while the sale is on though. When the sale is over the difference is a lot more pronounced and then you would have a more considered decision to make. Now I can't reliably say what display price you will see for 1Password for Mac in Apple's Mac App Store as Apple do show all purchases in your local currency. Our normal price for 1Password for Mac is basically 50USD and the sale we have on at the moment is 40% off. In the US Mac App Store that's an easy calculation but Apple's bands and local currency usage mean the only reliable way to see is to take a peek and see what the App Store on your Mac tells you. I can see what the sale price in the UK is and I can roughly calculate what the normal price is as a result. I know from our own store that while the normal price is 50USD the sale price is 30USD.

In terms of migrating it should appear quite seamless. For a Mac that has 1Password 3 installed, downloading and launching 1Password 5 will cause it to search for existing data. One of the places it looks is in the two default locations used by 1Password 3. It will then simply ask you for your existing Master Password, import the contents of your Agile Keychain into the new vault format (an encrypted SQLite database file) and then it will set up what we call Folder Sync so that this Agile Keychain is now a sync container. In the past this allowed people to run 1Password 3 and 1Password 5 side-by-side but this won't be a possibility for you as the whole cause for contacting us was regarding 1Password 3 and El Capitan. It should be a seamless affair though but if not we do actively monitor these forums and respond to every post. So if you have troubles (but you really shouldn't) we are here to help.

I hope this helps but if you have any follow up questions please do ask.

This discussion has been closed.