1Password does not update existing logins with remember me checkboxes

Options

Hi,

I've recently migrated from LastPass (after their acquisition by LogMeIn, which I did not like) to 1Password on Windows and OS X. I was able to import my credentials from LastPass successfully, however it did not import the remember me checkboxes for any of my sites.

I've tried going to login pages, using 1Password to fill them in (but not submit), then checking the remember me box and updating the existing login for that website, but 1Password does not update to include the remember me checkbox. 1Password is aware of it however, if I save a new, separate login instead it will capture the remember me checkbox as well. It seems 1Password will only update logins if it thinks the username and password has changed regardless of additional form entries.

Is there a way I can update my existing logins to include remember me checkboxes that doesn't involve saving new logins altogether? I have a lot of sites which need this update and it would be fairly tedious to save new logins for every one and remove duplicates.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, after playing around more, it may not just be remember me checkboxes affected by this. As an example, consider the Manulife group benefits login page:

https://wwwec7.manulife.com/GBPlanMemberUI/Login.aspx?language=English&choice=true

In the LastPass import, only the plan contract number (stored in the member certificate number field incorrectly) and password were saved. I updated the fields manually and updated the existing login in 1Password. While the member certificate field was corrected, the plan contract number field remained missing. I then filled out the form again, deleted the existing 1Password entry and saved a new login instead and the fields were correctly captured.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GotMilk4,

I apologise for the delay in responding, we're seeing a lot of queries at the moment and it's taking us a little longer than we want to respond to everybody.

Currently when we update a Login item we only update the password. We do have a ticket to see this expanded to other fields as you're not the first person who has expected/wanted to see things like checkboxes updated and I don't believe this is unreasonable. I think at the moment it's about seeing what unintended impact this might have as we wouldn't want to mess up a Login item by saving details of a password change form and overwriting the existing ones that pertain to the actual login page.

As we're dealing with imported data I suspect the easiest way would be as you feared, to save a new Login item with the checkbox ticked. The reason I believe this is the each Login item stores a fingerprint of the page in a form that 1Password uses and so won't be something that will map from an imported item. In contrast, if you're wishing to alter a Login item created by 1Password's extension it should be possible to edit the existing Login item and alter that single web form field.

This is related to your second post where you mention a login page that requires three pieces of data. When we deal with the more standard login page we're able to easily determine which field is asking for the username and which is the password field. If you have two fields, one which is the password type then it's easy. It gets trickier though when you want to fill three fields or more as now we need to explicitly know what goes where. There are multiple ways to approach this and ours is to store a record of the fields and their values in what we call the web form details section. It also acts as a fingerprint. If the recorded fingerprint matches the page then we use it, adjusting all the input fields to match. If the fingerprint doesn't match we air on the side of caution and fall back on our more conservative filling where we attempt to fill the username and password by deducing which field is which. So when you created a new Login item for this site the web form details was stored and used when you fill with this item compared to what I normally refer to as a basic Login item, one created from outside the web browser with no real knowledge of the page it will need to interact with.

I hope this helps explain how 1Password works and should you have any follow up questions please do ask :smile:

ref: OPM-2708

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @littlebobbytables.

It's good to know that the concept is at least being considered - for us migrating away from LastPass being able to quickly update our sites (for me, 40+) will make the transition much smoother.

I am noticing a new issue however when it comes to saving (more specifically using) those remember me checkboxes, for example on Facebook. Here's the flow I'm taking:

1. I browse to facebook.com in either Firefox or Chrome (both tested).
    2. I use auto-fill to fill in my current login details (auto-login is disabled).
    3. I delete the existing Facebook login from 1Password.
    4. I check the remember me checkbox, and use the 1Password extension to save a new login.
    5. Validate in 1Password that the login is created and the field has been captured (1Password recognizes a checkbox field named 'persistent' with a marked checkbox value).
    6. Reload the page to clear the fields and use auto-fill to fill the new credentials.
    7. The remember me checkbox is not populated as expected.

I was also able to reproduce this behaviour on other websites like reddit.com. On both sites, 1Password is aware of the checkbox and saves it correctly but does not fill it in when I use auto-fill. Am I performing the correct flow? Am I missing something?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GotMilk4,

So a couple of things Firstly, thank you for testing on a nice common site. I may not be a Facebook user but that's somewhere if things aren't going correctly we need to remedy it and it's also a site I'm aware of even if I don't use. Secondly lots of nice clear steps are always appreciated as it allows us to know exactly what you've done and it makes comparing so much easier :smile:

So the only thing I do differently is that as I'm always making up login credentials I don't perform steps 2. & 3. and instead type in all sorts of nonsense as you'll see in a moment. I then tried following the steps you laid out, maybe thinking we had some really esoteric bug but bizarrely I haven't been able to replicate yet.

Here is what my test Facebook Login item looks like

You can get that same view by first entering edit mode for your Facebook Login item and then clicking the show web form details button. I fully expect them to be the same which only begs the question of why the different behaviour?

Below is the JSON for my test Facebook item. If you copy the entire contents of this block into your clipboard you will find a new item suddenly appears in 1Password's File menu and the item is titled New Item from Clipboard as 1Password recognises the JSON and will create the item in your vault. If you add this item to your vault does it tick the Keep me logged in checkbox on Facebook's main page?

{"sectionName":"F","details":{"backupKeys":["UGpkIpoiqLNr57brpPRFK2mtfr40dSKkFPmleyJmT7LUO2nQAy7+MHPTfpkNR4FgHghlZWgcO0jv3Qt5TxW86A==","NMC7k4dOwdA0ajj4AOLYC4pb3KAlk0bOGrw\/bpqwki0iFy1YAdxs1\/XYDFbGO0\/hUdG2iNUBip0VSj8J+m2Njg=="],"htmlForm":{"htmlMethod":"LB1"},"fields":[{"value":"McBoogerballs","id":"email;opid=__1","name":"email","type":"E","designation":"username"},{"value":"peekaboo","id":"pass;opid=__2","name":"pass","type":"P","designation":"password"},{"value":"Log In","id":"u_0_w;opid=__3","name":"","type":"I"},{"value":"✓","id":"persist_box;opid=__4","name":"persistent","type":"C"},{"value":"","id":"u_0_1;opid=__13","name":"firstname","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"u_0_3;opid=__14","name":"lastname","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"u_0_5;opid=__15","name":"reg_email__","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"u_0_8;opid=__16","name":"reg_email_confirmation__","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"u_0_a;opid=__17","name":"reg_passwd__","type":"P"},{"value":"0","id":"day;opid=__18","name":"birthday_day","type":"S"},{"value":"0","id":"month;opid=__19","name":"birthday_month","type":"S"},{"value":"0","id":"year;opid=__20","name":"birthday_year","type":"S"},{"value":"1","id":"u_0_d;opid=__21","name":"sex","type":"R"},{"value":"","id":"captcha_response;opid=__34","name":"captcha_response","type":"T"}]},"uuid":"5CF20886E7AE4768BC51DE5299AF4527","updatedAt":1445077313,"createdAt":1445076923,"categoryUUID":"001","overview":{"ps":1,"title":"Facebook","url":"https:\/\/www.facebook.com\/","ainfo":"McBoogerballs","autosubmit":"never"},"URLs":[{"overview":{"label":"website","url":"https:\/\/www.facebook.com\/"}}]}

Just for anybody else reading the thread, the data contained in this Login item is fictitious, my surname isn't McBoogerballs but should be recognisable to any fan of South Park and I do like to make my passwords slightly stronger than peekaboo :wink:

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the compliment @littlebobbytables - I work in software development so I definitely value as much data as there can be when trying to reproduce issues.

I imported the JSON you provided into 1Password and tested Facebook again in both Firefox and Chrome with the same result - the username and password fields are populated, the remember me checkbox is not.

I checked the preferences for 1Password and couldn't find any options for remember me saving. :)

I have noticed that this does affect a number of websites however and not just Facebook - I tested against Twitter and reddit as well, both of which have the remember me checkbox saved in 1Password correctly but are not populated when I use auto fill. However, my company's internal wiki does work correctly.

Any other ideas?

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for double posting but I think I may have discovered the behaviour causing the issue:

If the remember me checkbox is already checked off, and I uncheck the box before auto filling to return the form to a "clean" state, 1Password seems to remember this action and won't check off the box during auto fill. On sites where the box is not already checked, 1Password will check it off as expected. I think this would explain the differing behaviour between you and I.

I did, however, find a site which does have issues with auto filling: on http://www.snbforums.com/ during the login process, there is a radio button indicating whether a new account is being created or an account is being logged into. 1Password, during auto fill, always changes the radio button to "No, create an account now." instead of leaving it at its default option ("Yes, my password is:").

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GotMilk4,

I'll have to investigate the checkbox one a little more given the extra details you found. It shouldn't be concerned about any previous state so it seems it's time to roll up the sleeves and look into it.

Now regarding the other site you mentioned there. This is a separate issue and sadly a known one :( Checkboxes are one thing but it just for now our Kryptonite are radio boxes. The best workaround here is to create what I refer to as a basic Login item. A basic Login is when you create a Login item from inside the main 1Password window. It has no idea about the site where you want it to work and in this instance it will easily deduce which field is for the username and which is for the password. As it doesn't touch the radio buttons at all it remains in the default state of being an existing user. This is something we need to improve. I am sorry you got bitten but this one on top of all your other queries.

ref: OPX-953

This discussion has been closed.