Can I make a template for a certain Category type?

Options

I have added a large number of sections and additional fields to "Credit Card" (since they are not included as standard). For example: Billing Address, e-mail address, etc. (things that are often required when setting up CC payment the first time with just about any online merchant).

Can I somehow save this format as a template, so all my future (new) entries to "Credit Card" will adopt this format instead of the very limited canned version? It takes a LONG time to add this for every credit card... and this applies to every type within every Category actually. I have seen that each format is lacking something...

I am currently converting from another password manager with which I finally gave up due to lack of support, but as I have almost 6,000 entries this is going to be really time consuming (since there is no cross-vendor import either).

(BTW the reason for such a large database is I live in multiple countries, so things like bank cards etc. have different formats, and I store software licenses for all my clients...)

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: IE11
OS Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @eelliott ,

Not quite. But you can create a new entry and add the custom sections and fields you want, save that blank entry, and Duplicate it in the future. Instant template.

What password manager are you converting from? I might be able to save you a lot of time.

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that is a clever work-around! I did already "duplicate" some credit card formats but didn't think of saving blank entries as a template. That will save me a bunch of time.

I'm converting from SplashID, but unfortunately a corrupted database (which they have been unable to help me sort out for over a year now) - so a direct import will just propagate the corruption. [the field names are all scrambled in relation to the underlying data, for instance bank account info is populate with Clothing Size field names... so wrong field names, wrong things masked, etc.] I've even tried exporting to CSV but the daunting task of moving/reformatting so many records just has me reaching for the single malt...

Any ideas are gratefully received, I will make some templates for now based on your suggestion.

Ed

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

@eelliott ,

You're welcome.

The SplashID export is an odd duck. It is CSV-like, but varies sufficiently enough to cause grief to anyone who tries to read it.

Do you know if your corruption is consistent across the board? Is there some pattern?

I have a suite of converters, one of them is a better SplashID converter. If there is some detectable pattern in your data, we might be able to adjust the converter to compensate, and then everything might just import.

You seem conformable with techie stuff. If you're willing to spend a little time trying to detect some pattern, I'm happy to help you get the data converted.

Feel free to download the converters, and take a look at the comments in the file Converters\Splashid.pm. Search for SplashID vID 3 overview.

Let's see where this leads.

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks I will look at that tomorrow. My brain has expired for tonight . I really appreciate the assistance. Back to you soon.

• On behalf of MrC, you're welcome. If there's anything else we can do for you, let us know.

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks I have been busy, sorry for late response. I could determine no pattern at all, so have decided to manually rebuild using 1Password. The data was so scrambled in SplashID that I feel it would take more effort to attempt to resolve than just entering fresh - and gives me the chance to weed out old or unneeded entries.

• Hi @eelliott,

Thanks for letting us know what you've decided to do. Sometime, it is better to start afresh since as you say, you can get rid of the unused items and keep your database lean.

This discussion has been closed.