1Password on Mac just updated to OS 10.11 OK in Browser but app won't accept master password

Options

Issue was with v3. Downloaded demo of latest - same issue. As per the Title, the browser extn. accepts the master password but the App wiil not. This is on my wife's machine. I am sticking with Snow Leopard for now!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password on Mac just updated to OS 10.11 OK in Browser but app won't accept master password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Devesh,

I'm sorry you're having trouble unlocking the main 1Password app! It sounds like you're using 1Password 3 for Mac, so I've moved your message to our "1Password 3 for Mac" forum. I hope you don't mind!

To make sure I understand, this problem is happening on your wife's Mac, which is now running Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). You/she can unlock the 1Password extension in the web browser, but cannot unlock the main 1Password 3 app (with the exact same master password). You tried installing 1Password 5 on that Mac to see if it would help, and it sounds like it found the 1Password 3 data, but still would not accept the master password. Is that correct?

If so, can you please let us know a few more details:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your wife's Mac?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in that browser?
    • When did the problem start? Were you able to unlock the main app before upgrading to El Capitan?
    • Is that copy of 1Password syncing with Dropbox?
    • Do you have that same 1Password data on any other devices/computers?

Thanks in advance!

• Devesh
    Devesh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

Yes, you have described the situation precisely.

App Version - 3.8.17
    Safari Version - 9.0
    Extension Version - (beta) 3.8.3.b1

The problem started upon upgrading the OS from 10.6.8 to 10.11
    There was no trouble unlocking before the upgrade.
    The App is not syncing anywhere
    The data is not on any other devices.

Thanks for being there!
    Devesh

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @Devesh,

I've got just a couple more questions if I may, just to help create a fuller picture and try to understand what might have happened.

On your wife's Mac did you upgrade where you let the installer update Snow Leopard to El Capitan in contrast to a clean install where you wipe the hard drive and installing a fresh copy of El Capitan before moving files over? I ask as if you perform an in place upgrade I can quite understand why you'd simply expect everything to continue working (for the most part) and that any blip you might predict wouldn't include issues with a Master Password. If you performed a clean install I'm wondering if it was possible that a second Agile Keychain was moved over that wasn't the right one.

The fact that you still have access to the contents via the extension is promising though so what I'm going to do is continue this conversation via email as if the steps are complex enough we like to work with the person one on one to try and keep the communication lane clear.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Devesh,

I've emailed you now so answering my question here probably won't help at all which does beg the question why I asked in the first place. It would seem my train of thought could be more linear. Anyway, we'll continue the support over email now.

ref: AKZ-87659-273

• Devesh
    Devesh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables, Drew_AG sent me a great message with details on how I might recover. Going to do that soon. To answer your question, the routine was an in place update - on top of the existing SL system.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Devesh,

I hope it all goes well and please keep us updated :smile:

• Devesh
    Devesh
    Community Member
    Options

Howdy. I bumbled and sent my reply to Adam's detailed instructions to my wife by mistake! Just resent it... Short version: I updated the Safari extension which allowed the export page to show up but that also refused the master password which then disallowed the export which the new version of the App might have been able to import. So we've come full circle in that the extension still works and takes the password, but that's all.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hopefully our email conversation finds a resolution :smile:

• Devesh
    Devesh
    Community Member
    Options

Just to make this 'public'.. Success! Thanks to Adam's expert, patient and timely support we're all set. To summarise the key to this fix was my having made a bootable backup of my wife's machine before upgrading to El Capitain. What I hadn't thought of though, was to boot back into Snow Leopard -where the master password did work fine - and from there produce the export file of the vault. Once I had that I could reboot into the new system and reset to a virgin install of the new version of 1password, with a new master password, and then import the exported 1Password v3 vault. Oh, I love it when that happens! Thanks for the incredible support!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

YESSS!!! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Adam, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that worked out. A backup is worth its bits in gold. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

ref: AKZ-87659-273

This discussion has been closed.