Master password for Vault stopped working, but it works on the one in the toolbar.

Options
gilli2
gilli2
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

Hi folks,

1. Like I said, when I enter the Master password into the login field for the Vault, nothing happens, when previously that action worked fine to login. HOWEVER, while the password no longer works when logging in to the Vault, it works just fine when I log in using the stopped working, but it works on the one in the toolbar.

2. ALSO, I cannot get 1Password to fill and enter. Everything else seems fine. Logging in is a problem and then logging in to a program is a problem, e.g. 1Password takes me to the correct login, but I must then log in manually.

3. I also have a message from 1Password (Agilebits). A small window appears with the following title:

Gareth Davies, We've Got a Problem

A message then follows

"The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini."
Instead of "/Applications/1Password5.app/Contents/LoginItems" it started "~/technical/technical OS & apps/agilebits/1 Password 5 Lic. Info./1Password5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems".
DISMISS LEARN MORE

( I take it that the icon in the toolbar, the one I can login to, is "1Password mini".)

ALSO, I have another message that might be relevant.

"1Password Updater" can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.
Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.
Firefox downloaded this file on July 16, 2015.
O.K.

At that time I was trying out Firefox, but returned to using Safari as before and have remained using Safari ever since. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

I have a small 1Password in the toolbar. Is this the 1Password mini or is it an extension or both?

My main question is, "How can I get back to the position where I can login normally at the Vault and not just in the toolbar and, of course, using 1Password 5 to do so."

BTW, I have not provided Extension version as I am not sure if I have the extension or how to find the version. I have the 1Password icon miniature size in the toolbar. Any help appreciated.

Thanks for your kind attention and may you all have a great week.
Gareth

1Password Version: version 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: version OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gilli2,

Actually 1Password mini is a process that lives inside of 1Password. It's the 1Password icon that resides in your OS X menu bar and is the heart of 1Password. What this error message tells us is that there are two copies of 1Password on your Mac and launchd, a key component of OS X, has got confused over which copy of 1Password mini to launch. The trouble here is when we register 1Password mini with launchd we're not allowed to supply a path to the 'correct' copy of 1Password mini. We supply a process ID and then it's up to launchd to find and start 1Password mini. If there is more than one copy though it can get confused and I don't know why but OS X doesn't favour the /Applications/ folder as might seem like a sensible idea.

What I would do is:

1. Quit the main 1Password application using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q. This will terminate both 1Password and 1Password mini.
    2. Move the second copy of 1Password that you currently have stored in ~/technical/technical OS & apps/agilebits/1 Password 5 Lic. Info./ to your Trash where Spotlight won't search.
    3. Launch the copy of 1Password that is in your /Applications/ folder.

That should see the correct copy of 1Password mini is launched going forward as there only be the one copy in /Applications/ for Spotlight to find. This will likely solve most of your problems so I think the best way forward is to see if there are any issues afterwards. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

• gilli2
    gilli2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables,

I have been with 1Password for a very long time and this is the first time it has been necessary for me to participate in discussions.agilebits.com. That surely says something about how good the program is. My first impression is excellent. My problem 100% solved PLUS my knowledge concerning 1Password has increased.

Congratulations and many thanks "littlebobbytables" for guiding me home without a hitch. Your kind and welcome assistance is much appreciated.

Gareth

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Wow! First of all, thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad he was able to help you with this.

And last but not least, your kind words mean so much. I'm glad to hear that you've not only had a mostly trouble-free 1Password experience, but that we were able to be here for you when you needed us.

And be sure to give yourself a pat on the back too, both for a job well done cleaning things up to get 1Password working normally again, and for your support over the years! We simply couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers. And, while it may go without saying at this point, I just want to make sure you know that we're here for you any time if you have any other questions or comments. The pleasure is ours! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.