Can’t get an OPVault file - keep getting agilekeychain file - 1Password 4.4.3 - HELP!

Options
TinyTim
TinyTim
Community Member

Running Mac App Store version 4.4.3 on OS X 10.9.5

Followed instructions to the letter via your steps in:
https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/

Terminal command seemed to run properly.

After doing the “Delete Data from Dropbox” (and waited for it to completely finish)…
When I re-launch 1Password and attempt to set up Sync via Dropbox I see that it has indeed created a new Vault named: “1Password.agilekeychain” in the 1Password folder in my Dropbox account.

I was expecting to see a new “.OPVault” file and not a “.agilekeychain” file…

So, I ctrl-quit 1password+mini and went back to terminal and this time pasted and executed BOTH terminal commands for MAS version as well as the AgileBits website version (per instructions above) just in case I am mistaken about the app version source.

Navigated to BOTH helper.plist files in Finder and verified that BOTH of these files DO in fact have useOPVaultFormatByDefault set to “true”.

Launch 1Password 4.4.3, again “Delete Data from Dropbox” (and waited for it to completely finish)…control quit 1P, relaunched and then created new sync to Dropbox.

It keeps creating a “1Password.agilekeychain” data file and NOT a “1Password.OPVault” data file.

1. What am I doing wrong???

2. How can I verify if my app is MAS or Agilebits webstore version???

PS: my iOS devices are all using 1Password 5.5

Maybe you can update the “Switch-to-opvault” article and clearly state what the minimum requirements are to create/use OPVault?

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TinyTim,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with the migration to .opvault. At this time, we are recommending that you update your Mac to 1Password 5 (it's a free upgrade for all 1Password 4 owners) to take advantage of the .opvault data format. You will need to update your operating system to El Capitan to use 1Password 5, but if your system is capable of running Mavericks, it will also be able to run OS X 10.11.

Please let me know if this helps!

• TinyTim
    TinyTim
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

This really does not help me NOR answer my question.
    I am NOT going to update my OS - sticking with Mavericks (which means that I also must remain with 1P 4.4.3).

Soooooo... does 1Password 4.4.3 support the .opvault format (ie: can it create and use a .opvault file)?

The "switch-to-opvault" article referenced at the beginning of my question states "You need to use the Agile Keychain format with 1Password 3 for Mac". I am running 4.4.3 - so it leads one to believe that it should work.

If 4.4.3 is capable of CREATING a .opvault (to replace the existing .agilekeychain file) then how do I do that (the instructions in the article did not work-and other people are having the same results).

OR

Should I delete the existing agilekeychain file (per instructions), but create the .opvault from an iOS device running 1P 5.5 (if possible) and after this is done, then connect my OS X 1P 4.4.3 to it???

Just need to know:
    1) Is it possible to create/use a .opvault file with 1P 4.4.3
    2) The steps that actually work to achieve this (without upgrading 1PW nor OS X)

Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TinyTim,

There were some bugs in 1Password 4 with respect to its handling of the .opvault format that were not resolved until 1Password 5. This is one of the reasons that we recommend updating to 1Password 5 before switching to the .opvault format.

Its also important to note that new versions of OS X include important security updates that are not retroactively applied to old versions. For your security, we strongly recommend that you upgrade to the OS X 10.11 at your earliest convenience. Apple has made upgrading easy, and free.

In your present situation, if you choose to remain with Mavericks, your only option is to continue using 1Password 4 and the .agilekeychain data format for syncing. The .agilekeychain format is secure and is used by many of us on the AgileBits team (including myself!) who choose to sync our data with Dropbox. When you are ready to upgrade your OS X and 1Password, you will be able to easily migrate to the .opvault format for syncing your 1Password data.

This discussion has been closed.