Feature Request: Mini App (iMac)

Patrick Waugh
Patrick Waugh
Community Member

When I click on the Mini app in Menu Bar, if I want to get to Software Licenses, I have to click "Show 2 more categories". I would prefer either or both of the following options:

1) Just show them to me to begin with, there is no logical reason to leave them off as there is plenty of screen space, and no way for me to add custom categories (hey! there's another idea ;) I often use that category and it being hidden is a waste of my time, and clicks.

2) You could allow me to select which categories are shown! That way, if I rarely use one, I can choose to hide that one, and require the extra click to access it instead.

Just my two-cents.

Also, will iCoud sync ever support multiple vaults? That feature allows me to keep my parents and my passwords separate for faster location of what I need, and sadly, I now had to change to wifi sync, and am not able to sync something that was on my mobiles back to my iMac (another vault started on dropBox).

patrick

1Password Version: 5.4 (540046) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: wifi (since I have multiple vaults
Referrer: forum-search:Suggestion for the mini app

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick Waugh: Indeed. We'll certainly consider making the menu more flexible in the future! I can't say for certain if or when we might make this type of change, but could you tell me what would work best for you? For example, would simply showing the entire menu by default be sufficient? Thanks in advance! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Patrick Waugh,

I originally wondered if we were showing the fillable items by default but it turns out we're merely showing the top 5 categories as ordered in the main 1Password window. I see your point, is there a gain in hiding the others?

Custom categories is another popular request and the reason we haven't brought it yet is the Agile Keychain was fixed and couldn't be easily altered given for reasons of backwards compatibility. We do hope to improve on this at some point though.

I see we haven't commented on your iCloud query. Are you wanting to allow access to this secondary vault for you parents as well as have access yourself, that is to say share a secondary vault between you and your parents? The reason we haven't brought support for secondary vaults to iCloud yet is it isn't possible to share files and especially not data stored by CloudKit with our Apple IDs making it impossible to share like you can when using Dropbox. It may be I'm misunderstanding your request though so please do correct me if that's the case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

While I understand the limitations cause by Apple IDs, those are easily eliminated with Apple's ability to setup "Families" on a single Apple ID.

@Patrick Waugh: I suppose it could be possible down the road, but that's entirely up to Apple. Family Sharing, as it stands today, shares only purchases, not iCloud data of any kind. If that changes, we'll certainly re-evaluate things.

I also run a WD My Could server on my intranet, and I may explore using it to sync vaults.

This could work, but it would be limited to syncing vaults between computers (and presumably those on which you can install the necessary software for the server). Mobile devices would need to have a sync API they can write to directly, since filesystem access is limited. Dropbox and iCloud offer this, and that's one of the reasons they are supported in 1Password.

Having a separate vault with a unique Master Password for extra-important professional data is a great thing to do. Dropbox is really the only option to sync the way you describe at this time. And while I understand your desire to use iCloud for this purpose, it doesn't work the way you need it to; but you should be able to easily fit your 1Password vaults using only free storage from Dropbox...and ultimately your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so which sync service you use doesn't matter. I tend to use the one that fits my needs at the time. I hope this helps! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to clear up my misunderstandings, and indicate the paths open to operate the way that would best work, given my needs and current real world limitations.

@Patrick Waugh: Any time! I'm happy to help. :chuffed:

Please inform Apple of how they need to improve iCloud. :) In the meantime, I guess I'll have to live with out multiple syncs since I'm not wanting to have multiple clouds, clouding things up for me. :)

I hear you. Though I'm not sure we hold much sway with Apple (still waiting on CloudKitJS!), it's in everyone's interest to pay close attention to customer feedback. In fact, it seems as though Apple is slowly but surely becoming more responsive and open. So while I'm sure it will take a while regardless, hopefully we'll see some more developments (and quality-of-life improvements) in iCloud in the future. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.