Questions regarding upgrade to OPVault

Options
chumtarou
chumtarou
Community Member

We are planning on switching to OPVault but have a few questions about our current setup and ramifications of making the switch.

1. Regarding important warning which states: "If you are syncing with older versions of 1Password, do not make this change. You need to use the Agile Keychain format with 1Password 3 for Mac, 1Password 4 for iOS, 1Password 1 for Windows, and 1Password for Android." ---- I assume that if we sync with multiple vaults where just 1 vault out of 10 is synced with Android, then we cannot make the upgrade? Or is the Terminal code to upgrade our Agilekeychain on the Mac only upgrading the Primary keychain?
  2. If we are unaware of an older device that falls below this minimum requirement connects to Dropbox, what will happen to our new OPVault data? --- Example: someone attempts to use Android with a vault I share which has been upgraded to OPVault

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chumtarou,

Those are great questions, thanks! :)

---- I assume that if we sync with multiple vaults where just 1 vault out of 10 is synced with Android, then we cannot make the upgrade?

Well, yes and no. When you use the Terminal command to change the default Dropbox sync format to OPVault (as described in this knowledgebase article), that doesn't actually convert your existing .agilekeychain files to .opvault files. You would also need to disable & re-enable sync for each vault you want to start syncing via OPVault file (as described here).

In other words, if you want to change the default sync data format to OPVault, but continue to sync one of your vaults with 1Password for Android via Dropbox, you can. All you need to do is not disable/re-enable the sync settings for that vault, and it will continue to sync with the existing .agilekeychain file.

Or is the Terminal code to upgrade our Agilekeychain on the Mac only upgrading the Primary keychain?

The Terminal command applies to all vaults, but as I explained above, that command doesn't upgrade/convert your existing .agilekeychain files. It just changes a preference within 1Password so that the next time you enable Dropbox sync for a vault, it will create a new .opvault file instead of a new .agilekeychain file. That's why you can keep using an existing .agilekeychain file for the secondary vault you sync with your Android device.

2. If we are unaware of an older device that falls below this minimum requirement connects to Dropbox, what will happen to our new OPVault data? --- Example: someone attempts to use Android with a vault I share which has been upgraded to OPVault

If you switch your vaults' sync data to OPVault, you'll be creating new sync files that are separate from the older Agile Keychain files. Ideally, you will want to delete the .agilekeychain file for a vault before re-enabling Dropbox sync. Your other devices will give you an error when they realize the .agilekeychain file for a certain vault is gone, and you'll need to re-enable Dropbox sync (choosing the new .opvault file for that vault when doing so).

Now, that's how it will work with versions that support OPVault for Dropbox sync. Older versions that don't support OPVault will still give you an error once they realize the .agilekeychain file is missing from Dropbox, but you won't be able to sync those versions to the new .opvault files you've created. For example, the current version of 1Password for Android will not be able to "see" an .opvault file in your Dropbox account, which is why you would need to keep using the current .agilekeychain file for that specific vault.

I hope this all makes sense and helps to answer your questions! But if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask us. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.