1Password extension not filling after El Capitan upgrade

johnebooth
johnebooth
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

After installing El Capitan credit card details no longer automatically copy to web pages using password browser extension

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OSX El Capitan
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:After installing ~El Capitan credit card details no longer automatically copy to web pages

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnebooth,

I'm sorry you're having trouble filling credit card details!

Can you please let us know a few more details:

• What browser are you using (and what version)?
    • Do you also have a problem trying to fill login credentials with the 1Password extension? Or just credit card details?
    • When you need to fill a credit card form on a website, what exactly happens when you select a Credit Card item from the 1Password extension/1Password mini?
    • Has this been a problem for all credit card forms you've tried to fill on websites since upgrading to El Capitan? Or only certain sites/forms?

Any other details you can think of might also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• johnebooth
    johnebooth
    Community Member

Hi

Today, all seems well. Maybe just a glitch yesterday? I'm using Safari v 9.0 and it was only credit card details that wouldn't fill in. Thanks

• @johnebooth It could have just been a glitch. Did you try it on the same website today? All websites react differently, but there's usually a good common ground where 1Password can fill things. You're using the latest stable version of everything, so there shouldn't be any problems. If you do notice it again, feel free to pop back into this thread and let us know the website you're having trouble with. We'll see what we can do to help out. :)

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning 1Password,

I am having issues in that the 1Password APP either 1Password mini or 1Password does not fill in usernames and passwords when I select "open and fill". 1Password opens the appropriate website (login page) but does not enter any info into the login boxes.

I am using a mac with el capitan - version 10.11 and firefox - version 41.0.2

Thanks

• Hey @zxsder,

Could you make sure you're using the latest version of the 1Password Firefox extension? You can download it on our extensions page. Let us know if the issue keeps happening once you get that installed.

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning Penderworth,

It is an interesting conundrum I have. 1Password and Firefox and OSX are all up to date. 1Password works fine on my imac, but still no luck with 1Password on my macbook air. I am sure it is something I am doing incorrectly but I just don't know what.

For example when I attempted to login to this forum, 1Password opened the website correctly but did not fill in the username or password, so I did a copy/paste of the username and password.

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zxsder,

Can I ask what version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox please. I was investigating another report yesterday and realised that the beta has problems but the stable seemed to be okay. As a result I'm wondering which you're using at the moment.

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning littlebobbytales,

As requested, I am using version:

1Password 5
    Version 5.4.1 (541003)
    Agile Web Store

I have checked again and I am using the latest update.

Thanks for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @zxsder,

Sorry, it's the extension version I'm really after (sorry). The link in the previous will show you how to check in the browser as the extension version isn't the same as the version of the 1Password application.

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

God morning littlebobbytales,

My apologies.

1Password 4.4.3 from the Extensions selection in the Add-ons Manager section of Firefox.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zxsder,

Sadly that piece of information blew away my theory. You're running the stable where it ought to work.

So to summarise.

1. You're running 1Password 5.4.1 (AgileBits Store)
    2. You're running the latest version of Firefox. This was 41.0.2 when you posted but is now v42.
    3. Your 1Password extension is up to date and is the current stable version at 4.4.3.

This we know. Now you first said that open and fill wasn't working but in this post I notice you say

so I did a copy/paste of the username and password.

Does this mean that basically the extension isn't working at all? The keyboard shortcut ⌘\ should fill the current page and there have been occasions in the past where open and fill has broken but filling remains working.

1. It might sound silly but can I confirm that the extension is enabled in Firefox. If you visit about:add ons to check on the extensions does the entry for 1Password have a Disable button and the icon is in colour? If it is then it's enabled and you should also see the monochromatic icon in your Firefox toolbar.
    2. Say you visit our forum's login page. If you click the 1Password Firefox Extension icon does 1Password offer your forum Login item

Also, just to clarify, you sync this vault between two Macs and everything is working on one Mac, yet the exact same vault on the other Mac isn't?

So I apologise, all I've done here is ask a number of questions rather than been able to offer any answers but I think we're still very much in the investigation stage of the process. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this though :smile:

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning littlebobbytales,

In answer to your questions:
    1. YES - 5.4.1
    2. YES - v42
    3. YES - 4.4.3
    4. YES - the extension was not working. When I used either the 1Password APP of the browser extension, none of the information would autofill. I had to manually copy the username and password information from 1password and paste the information to websites.
    5. YES - the extension is enabled as per your description
    6. If I visit the 1password forum page I have to manually copy and paste the username and password information.
    7. YES - the vault is synced between an imac, macbook air, an ipad and an iphone. 1password works fine on the imac, ipad and iphone, but not the air?

After answering all of your questions and with no changing of settings etc, I can now say that 1password, both the app and the extension have started working correctly on all devices. I am not sure what has happened to change the operation on the air?

Thanks for your help.

zxsder

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @zxsder,

Do you happen to use sleep mode a lot on your Macs and leave applications like your browsers running?

Why do I ask? I know for certain that if there is an update pending for Chrome this limbo state causes a problem with the extension, a problem that is resolved as soon as Chrome is restarted and the update applied. I never see this myself because Safari is my primary browser and I also close and open applications regularly. Now I know Firefox will download updates automatically in the background just like Chrome but I don't have any solid evidence that it suffers the same issue. Still, I see the possibility that this might equally apply to Firefox. So I'm wondering if it is possible you happened to quit your browser, allowing it to finish applying an update and then when you next opened it it would seem as if with nothing having changed it now starts working. One way to check this is to assume for now that things are good. Should the extension stop working though, if you check the Firefox version like you did before it should say if there is a new version waiting or not. If there is does the extension start working after you restart Firefox? If it does I think we have a reasonable case to assume the same applies to Mozilla's browser. It's just a theory at the moment but at least to me it would seem plausible until we have some counter evidence.

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning Littlebobbytales and thanks again for the excellent customer service!

No, I shut down my air when it is not in use. I very rarely use the sleep mode, usually only when I have forgotten to switch the laptop off - same with my imac.

Interestingly, I have just found another anomaly. On my iMac, I am able to use 1password and the browser extension through firefox, safari or chrome with no problems. On my air, when I open 1 password, I now receive the message that my trial period has expired and I need to purchase 1password to continue using 1password. Once again, I do not know what I have done wrong with the installation. I have purchased 1password. When I checked purchased apps on the app store, 1password was not listed, so I assume that I did not purchase 1password through the app store but through 1password directly.

Could this be contributing to my issues with 1password on my air?

How do I install/upgrade 1password on my air to the paid version that I have on my imac?

Thanks again for your patience and assistance :)

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Good morning again,

Further to my previous post, I think I have identified some issues I am having, but I don't understand other issues?

1. I have 1Password 5
      Version 5.4.1 (541003)
      Agile Web Store installed on my computers. On one computer (imac) 1password is working fine. On my other computer (air) 1password displays a trial expired message in the top right hand corner of the 1password window.

2. When I log in to my itunes account, I have purchased 1password through the app store.

3. I understand that 1password purchased through the app store and 1passsword 5 purchased through agilebits are different programs?
    4. When I load 1password (app store version), it does not have all of the logins/folders/password information that I have in the 1password 5 version.

So I would appreciate assistance with the following:

A. Why does the 1password 5 app on my air display "trial expired" but the 1password 5 app in my imac does not?
    B. Do I need to transfer the information from 1password 5 to 1password?
    C. If the answer to B above was yes, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @zxsder,

So let's address the vault issue and then we can return to the filling issue. The two should be quite independent so I would expect the issue to still be present.

If you purchased 1Password via Apple's Mac App Store then you would want to be running the version of 1Password that is simply titled 1Password rather than 1Password 5. The former is the copy you get when you download your purchased software via the Mac App Store while the latter is from our AgileBits Store and normally does require a licence file. I say normally as if you have a working copy of the 1Password application loaded on your Mac it will recognise you have purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store. If you had a Mac where you downloaded directly from our site without first going via the Mac App Store then it wouldn't be able to tell and instead would have entered trial mode straight away.

Here is what I would recommend.

1. Download the 1Password application via the App Store application on your Mac. You should find it in the Purchased tab and there should be a download button associated with that entry.
    2. Before you launch 1Password we will need to make sure there is no pre-existing data from a previous point in time that the Mac App Store can accidentally find. I would like you to follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide but when it comes to the version specific part of the steps I want you to only follow the Mac App Store steps. What we want to do is leave the AgileBits Store vault in place right now, we're just wanting to make sure there is no old Mac App Store data. If you find the folders/files don't exist - don't worry, that just means you haven't run it before and your Mac is in the right state to proceed.
    3. Launch the Mac App Store copy of 1Password, the one titled 1Password. It will find the AgileBits Store vault and migrate that across. From your perspective you should simply see a request for your existing Master Password. You may see a message about the wrong 1Password mini running but we'll take care of that in a moment. Your vault should be exactly as you remember it.
    4. With the Mac App Store copy of 1Password running, you are safe to move the AgileBits Store copy of 1Password, the one titled 1Password 5 to your Trash. Just drag and drop the application bundle from /Applications/ to the Trash - please don't use an app cleaner at all.
    5. You will need to tweak the 1Password settings to your preferences and set up syncing again. With sync, all you should need to do is select the Agile Keychain and you should be done. Don't worry if it mentions merging - as long as the AgileBits Store copy of 1Password had an up to date vault then you're fine.

I would recommend doing this first on one Mac and make sure everything seems okay, then you can feel confident about repeating the steps in the second.

Once we have you on the Mac App Store version of 1Password everywhere and the two synchronised we'll turn our attention back to the extension :smile:

• zxsder
    zxsder
    Community Member

Hello littlebobbytales,

Once again thanks for the ongoing support.

I have followed your instructions and after some frustration with dropbox, I have installed 1password and the associated browser extensions and managed to sync all of my devices to the same data.

I am very impressed with the ongoing advice and support provided by all the 1password staff I have dealt with and will definitely recommend 1 password to everyone I can, based upon a great program with awesome support.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zxsder,

It took a while to get there but it's this point that makes it all worth while :smile: It sounds like everything is running smoothly now on all the Macs and iOS devices so with a little luck you're in for a nice long period of trouble-free password management. Should you have any questions or issues we will be here to help you :smile: I'm going to be positive though and wish you festive greetings in the belief that things will run without trouble well into 2016 if not further.

This discussion has been closed.