Why does 1Password 'miss' so many website login captures?

Options

I have both Windows desktop and iPhone app, I enter all my data on desktop for ease, mostly use app to login etc when mobile. The issue I have is that when I attempt to create a new login, 1P tells me to use 'auto-capture', not enter manually. But so far (I'm converting from another PM so having to set up all new) about 75% of sites are not captured. A few examples (and these are not weird sites) are: Barnes & Noble, Best Travel Store, Fareboom, Apple Store, Anthem Medical Insurance, etc. It's quite frustrating... When I look at (edit mode) a site that was captured automatically, it has a lot more info (I presume the automation steps for fill-in) than what is in the manual mode data entry box, so am unsure even I do enter manually whether the login will then work in the future.

And here's a good one: 1P doesn't even capture the login to this forum!! I have to manually login in every time...

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: IE11, n/a
OS Version: Win7 Ultimate x64
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Why does 1Password 'miss' so many website login captures?

Comments

• Hi @eelliott,

Are you by any chance generating new passwords with 1Password's strong password generator and using it to save new Logins on these sites?

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

No, these are all sites that have existing passwords so I can't change

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

That actually raises a separate question: since I'm converting from another PM, but entering everything fresh, all sites I visit already have established passwords. I don't see any easy way to switch to the 'generate' function using 1P. If I were visiting first time, ok, that easy... but each site has very different methods for changing a password, some with many steps of authentication (security questions, etc.) - when I finally get to save new password 1P does not 'see' this, nor provide a pop-up with the 'generate' button... how would one ever use the 'generate' function if a password is already assigned to a site?

• eelliott
    eelliott
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - more updates as I work my way through adding hundreds of sites to 1P.. <6 hours today now, tired fingers!!> I'm somewhat amazed by how many (big, common I would think) sites don't work with the 'automatic' features of 1P. Here are more that have failed today (a small sampling, it's still about a 75% failure rate): Al Jazeera, Amazon, DropBox [that really surprised me, since it's used as your main sync method!], FedEx, Google, iTunes store, New York Life Insurance...

On a few of the sites, I get multiple dialog boxes from 1P: I fill in username and pwd, then the dialog box from 1P pops up and allows me to change the Friendly Name of the Login (which I usually do so it alphabetizes correctly) then I "Save". Then a 2nd identical box pops up, then a 3rd, etc. I save each of them (not knowing why or what to do, and this is not documented anywhere I can find). But when I go back to try to use any of them they all fail. I have to manually type in the username and password each time, if I even try the "Crtl+\" key combo all I get is a "Error 404" - whatever it is passing to the site is garbage.

I also find that (and this not too surprising, but still frustrating) that none of this works on banking sites... whatever they are doing on login pages to prevent fraud is also killing any ability for a password manager. This is frustrating, since here I absolutely positively need strong passwords, and will never reuse... but the most I can do is look them up in 1P and then remember and type them in... almost all the bank sites I use don't even allow Copy/Paste in login fields.

• Hi @eelliott,

I apologize for the delay, I've been trying to figure out your issues on my Windows 7 PC and I can confirm some of your issues.

Is Internet Explorer the only browser you can use? I was wondering if it is doing better in other browsers like Firefox or Opera. For an example, Dropbox does prompt to autosave in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari but not in IE. Unfortunately, our plugin in Internet Explorer tend to be limited due to the strict APIs that IE has.

However, when I try to save it manually in IE, it did prompt to save the data and fills in correctly next time. Try this:

1. Go to Dropbox's login page, fill in your data but do not submit yet
    2. Click on the 1Password icon, go to Settings > Save New Login
    3. Save your Login for Dropbox, refresh Dropbox's page to clear the fields and now try to fill in with Control + \.

We'll look into the IE issues, it is supposed to auto-save but it is not working well at the moment.

No, these are all sites that have existing passwords so I can't change

We have a bug that we’ve fixed in the latest betas where if you try to use the generator, it prevents the extension from saving it as you log in. That’s why I was asking about this, it sounds like this is not the same issue.

I don't see any easy way to switch to the 'generate' function using 1P. If I were visiting first time, ok, that easy... but each site has very different methods for changing a password, some with many steps of authentication (security questions, etc.)

You have the correct thoughts, there is no easy way to change the password for these site accounts automatically. You would have to sign in first, go to the site’s change password form and then use 1Password generator to fill in the password before you submit the form.

If 1Password doesn’t detect you’ve changed the password (usually due to the way the site is designed), we have a fallback in place. For an example, all of your generated passwords are saved in the Generated Passswords category in the main 1Password program. In your browser, the password you just generated will be in Last Generated Password option. So, what you do is:

1. Go back to the site’s login form, enter the username and then when you focus in the password field, click on the 1Password icon to select Last Generated Password to fill in the password or paste it manually (it will be copied to your clipboard as well
    2. Do not submit the form right away, click on the 1Password icon, go to Settings > Save New Login to save this manually.

Now, refresh the page and press Control + \ and 1Password should now fill in both fields for you.

On a few of the sites, I get multiple dialog boxes from 1P: I fill in username and pwd, then the dialog box from 1P pops up and allows me to change the Friendly Name of the Login (which I usually do so it alphabetizes correctly) then I "Save".

This is definitely not normal, this sounds like our plugin isn't triggered by IE right away and it was queued up several times.

Can you recall one of the sites this happened on? We'd like to test and see what's going on, I haven't seen this before.

Based on your feedback and what I've seen in my testing related to your issues, I would recommend trying a more modern browser like Firefox, Opera or Chrome, they're more responsive in this situation and our extension in these browsers are far more accurate and powerful. We'll try to improve our plugin for IE but it is limited in what we can do as I mentioned before.

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I am having issues with fedex.com too. When I'm trying to login from the main landing page it works. When I open the package tracking 1st and click login from there it does not. It fills the password only, and obviously fails.

[Edited by MikeT]

This is my URL, but I am pretty sure you'd need a different one to reproduce

• Hi @mzel,

In the future, please do not share the entire URL if it looks like it may contain data. There was a tracking number in your URL, which means it could be used against you. I've removed your link from the post.

If it works on the main page, that means they've changed how the login form works on the tracking page. You would have to go to the home page to login and try again. We'll take a look to see if we can improve this on the tracking page and issue an update to the extension to fix this.

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    Options

It still works on the main page, as I said

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    Options

And yes, the login form is totally different between the 2 pages

• Thanks for the extra details.

This discussion has been closed.