El Capitan

This discussion was created from comments split from: Will OS X 11 El Capitan require another upgrade of 1Password?.

Comments

• chrislarkin
    chrislarkin
    Community Member

Just adding one more comment on this old thread. Does agilebits test older versions in wide use when a new OS X release comes? I was still coding for a client with a large number of 10.10 machines when the developer seeds started so I only built a machine to test after the development releases were revs in and the public beta was out. I then tested my latest project on 10.11 and found no bugs (lucky me!!!!!) - unfortunately I still use 3.x and it works great for me. Buying an upgrade to fix a broken display area really annoys me.

Advance warning would've been nice. Instead I'm searching for a replacement app and coping with the broken 3.x for now. As stated in my post a moment ago (also found via Google), I may yet pay to upgrade, but with the prospect of another version (1Password 6?) being a paid upgrade, I think I now know to just use the open source solution most of my developer friends use (I'm polite so I won't name it here).

Very disappointed to see a thread like this indicating little (or no?) understanding of El Capitan at a time you should've known if you are selling commercial apps that people rely on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrislarkin: Sorry for the confusion! You were actually posting in a discussion in the 1Password 5 category about El Capitan support. 1Password 5 does support El Capitan, at no additional charge.

However, 1Password 3 was discontinued years ago, and we will not be updating it for El Capitan. It was developed in 2009, received years of free updates with new features, but it is simply based on old technologies and would require a rewrite to future-proof it by updating it for current OS X frameworks...which of course what 1Password 4 and 5 were.

Now, as far paid updates: yes, we charge for our products, and we're proud of that. We believe in charging sustainable prices for our software so that we can continue developing it and supporting you and the rest of our awesome customers. Otherwise, none of us at AgileBits would be available to answer questions like this and help troubleshoot!

And we don't offer free updates for life. I know many apps that did, which are no longer being updated or supported because the developers needed to get paying jobs; and I know plenty of free apps which sustain themselves by selling customer information. We don't do that.

And to be clear, nothing has been taken away from you; you can continue to use version 3 for as long as you like on the OS X versions it was made for (and then some — it was updated many times for new OS X releases, and even continued working long after we stopped working on it). But if you want all the improvements, new features, and OS and browser support in 1Password 5 that we continue to work hard on, you will need to pay for them.

If we give you everything for free, you'd quickly find that you'd have to find another app anyway, as we'd be doing something else now to pay our bills. Maybe in a perfect world, we'd all have all of our basic needs fulfilled without any of this; but in the mean time, we've all gotta eat. :pirate:

ref: 423841

This discussion has been closed.