1Password not allowed on latest Tor bundle

I'm using Tor Browser 5.0.3 (based on Mozilla Firefox 38.3.0). When I attempt to install the 1P extension I get the error message that it is not compatible to run with Tor Browser 38.3.0.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @glowgirl,

Recently we moved to Mozilla's curated extension gallery and we've had a couple of bumps to iron out along the way. Can you try downloading the beta version of our extension please. We adjusted the browser version compatibility after realising we'd accidentally locked users of the ESR version of Firefox out.

• glowgirl
    glowgirl
    Community Member

Thank you -- can you provide a URL where I can download the beta version?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glowgirl,

It's out standard page for extensions which you can find at https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

On that page just clicking the large green button titled Install will only install the stable version, you need to first click on the link that I've highlighted in the image below, the link is called Enable betas. After that the Install button will result in the beta being installed :smile:

Let us know how you get along.

• glowgirl
    glowgirl
    Community Member

Thanks! Sorry about the multiple replies -- my browser wasn't registering the comment as sent!

• glowgirl
    glowgirl
    Community Member

Thought I was good to go, but...not. Got the beta extension successfully installed but get the following error message when I attempt to use: "Looking for the 1Password helper. The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly."

I have the helper running (both the program and the mini icon are operational on my Mac). No anti-virus or other proxies running, although I do use a VPN, and Tor bounces between points.

Any further ideas?

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Don't worry @glowgirl, they were easy enough to tidy up :smile: I'm more annoyed that the forums weren't showing you as the last person to post in this thread as when we see that a member of the team is the last to answer we treated it as reviewed and responded to. Under other circumstances we may not have realised you had replied.

Some of what you just wrote fired up the old neurons in the memory centre but sadly it wasn't a great memory even though pertinent. The Tor browser is a modified version of what I assume is Firefox ESR (likely to make their lives easier in maintaining the patches). The modifications are all about bolting Firefox tightly down and letting no information leak. Unfortunately for us that includes not letting the extension open a WebSocket to 1Password mini. The people over at the Tor project kindly pointed us towards some material that might help us, even helping point out where the existing Mozilla documentation may lead us down the wrong path but it means at the moment we need to investigate and see if we can support this approach. The only other route is to weaken the security around the Tor browser. This could have inadvertent effects meaning I'm not keen on suggesting it, after all the whole reason you're running Tor is to anonymise your browsing.

So that leaves in a less than ideal position at the moment. I don't have any great solution for you I'm afraid. The real way forward is for us to find the developer time to look into this and see how feasible it is but we do have a number of pressing issues that also demand attention as they affect all browsers :(

You're clearly quite security conscious, do you use any sort of outbound software firewall like Little Snitch or Hands Off!? I'll explain the reasoning in the next post.

• glowgirl
    glowgirl
    Community Member

Thank you, once again! I completely understand what you are saying. I only use the Tor browser occasionally, and it would have been convenient if 1Password could work with it -- then I would use it more often ;-) It is based on Firefox though don't know if it is ESR.

I do use Hands Off!;haven't tried Little Snitch yet.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glowgirl,

The thought I had rattling around my brain I think is a non-starter. I think the only option is a change to internally come from us. Any exception created, even with a firewall in place seems too risky given the entire purpose of Tor. Sorry if I got your hopes up with that last question of mine but security is key, a sentiment I'm sure you agree with.

• glowgirl
    glowgirl
    Community Member

Thanks again -- I appreciate your time and effort! I use several browsers, so will just use Tor when I don't need to access password-protected sites. And yes, I do agree with the sentiments of both security and privacy!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.