1password vs oneSafe

Options
redani
redani
Community Member

Hello 1password team,

First of all, thanks for this amazing app, very great job and well done :)

I'm currently testing 1password and oneSafe, to be honest i'm still very very confused and undecided! oneSafe has some great features that 1password doesnt and that's why i'm posting to know if they are in the to-do list :)

1- I like the fact that we can set 2 passwords on oneSafe. the first being easy and quick (4 digits for example), and another one that required a stronger password, is it possible to do the same thing with 1password?

2- we can customize items like Mastercard, AmEx, .... is it planned in 1password

3- is it possible to store data (images, documents)

4- in desktop version, we can change category image, but requires to save it before, will a builtin google search be integrated?

5- are you planing to add the possibility to change category images for iOS?

That's it for now, and hope to hear back from you soon :)

Regards,
Reda

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:take photo, kb-search:is it secure, kb:secure-by-design, kb-search:is it secure, kb-search:take photo

Comments

• Hey @redani,

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback here. I'm glad you're testing out both apps to figure out which is best for your needs. :) Now, let's see if I can answer some of your questions.

1- I like the fact that we can set 2 passwords on oneSafe. the first being easy and quick (4 digits for example), and another one that required a stronger password, is it possible to do the same thing with 1password?

From a security standpoint, this doesn't quite make sense. If your Master Password in 1Password was only four digits and could give you access to everything, why would you need the longer one? It's also much better to have a password that contains more characters than a few digits, because those can be broken much easier. This topic has been discussed in detail in this forum thread, and I highly recommend the read. There's also this thread, which has some more security-related comments on the issue. Hopefully those help clear up things.

2- we can customize items like Mastercard, AmEx, .... is it planned in 1password

What do you mean by customize? 1Password has quite a few options for credit cards, from the usual fields to phone number of the card company and your account's PIN and withdraw limits. You can also add custom fields with any information you'd like. If you have something else in mind, feel free to explain it a bit. :)

3- is it possible to store data (images, documents)

It is indeed! You can use Secure Notes or really any other item as a base for this and add a related attachment to that item. You can attach any sort of file you'd like so long as it's below 5MB. It will be protected by your Master Password and 1Password's vault wizardry.

4- in desktop version, we can change category image, but requires to save it before, will a builtin google search be integrated?

Could you clarify what you mean by the "category image"? 1Password currently doesn't have support for custom category icons, but you can change any of the icons on your items by simply selecting them and dragging and dropping a new one into the icon field. If you're looking for something a bit different, let us know.

5- are you planing to add the possibility to change category images for iOS?

I can't comment on our plans, but I can submit your feedback to our developers. ;)

Hope that helps answer your questions. If you have any follow-up ones, feel free to post them here. We're happy to help out. :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

thanks @penderworth for your detailed reply.

1- actually the point of this is to have a simplified keypad with only number that allows a fast access to the app. you can see in the attached image an example of authentification with oneSafe.

2- I was talking about customising the look of credit card. oneSafe have kindda a real credit cards visuals...

3- great, thanks! and sorry didn't see it in the app :/

4- Sorry, i mixed up the questions, i was meaning the items images. I've noticed that i need to first save an image on my hard drive, then select it. will it be possible to integrate a builtin function to select an image directly from google?

5- talking about categories, how can I edit the name of a category?

Thanks a lot
    Regards

• @redani Thanks for getting back to me. :) Here are some follow-up answers to your follow-up questions:

1- actually the point of this is to have a simplified keypad with only number that allows a fast access to the app. you can see in the attached image an example of authentification with oneSafe.

As I mentioned before, from a security standpoint this isn't quite the best choice because you can use either code to access your vault and therefore so can others. The other threads I linked to have a lot more detail on the specifics related to this, so I'd recommend giving them a read when you have a few minutes.

2- I was talking about customising the look of credit card. oneSafe have kindda a real credit cards visuals...

Oh, you mean a bit more realistic than the Rich Icons 1Password uses? I can pass that along to our developers for you as a suggestion. :)

4- Sorry, i mixed up the questions, i was meaning the items images. I've noticed that i need to first save an image on my hard drive, then select it. will it be possible to integrate a builtin function to select an image directly from google?

Are you referring to the icons that each item has? You can find your own icon and drag and drop it into the icon field of the item in 1Password from any other app. Just make sure you're editing that item first.

5- talking about categories, how can I edit the name of a category?

At the moment, you can't edit categories in the app. You can, however, create folders and name them whatever you'd like. To create a folder, click the File menu and select New Folder. New items can be added to that folder by simply dragging and dropping them into it in the sidebar. You can read our full guide on using folders on Mac here.

Hope that helps answer things. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for your reply.

4- Yes, i know i can save an icon and then drag and drop it into the icon field, but i was wondering if you could integrate a builtin function that allow as to directly select an image from google images... (onSafe does it)

everything is clear to me now.

thanks
    Cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani,

On behalf of penderworth, you're very welcome!

Just to clarify, you don't necessarily need to save an image to your Mac first - you should be able to drag an image directly from a website (like Google Images) into the icon field of an item in 1Password (just make sure you're in edit mode for that item first). I know that's not quite the same as the feature you're asking about, but I just wanted to mention that in case it helps.

Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions, just let us know. :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Great! thanks @Drew_AG for your clarification ;)

Have an amazing week
    Regards

• @redani Glad Drew was able to clarify things. :+1:

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've gone ahead a purchased the iOS version yesterday. I wanted to get the OSX version and was pretty surprised about the price which is very hight :S
    I'll be honest with you, I had already purchased both the iOS and OSX versions of oneSafe which costed me about 25 EUR, and i'm very disappointed, I must confess that i was hasty and charmed by the graphics, but it was a big mistake! so I can't be spending a lot of money on this and was wondering if i could get a discount to encourage me to get the OS version... :blush:

Thanks

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The iOS version is free to download and use it it's basic form, but it requires an in-app purchase to activate the more advanced Pro features. And, unfortuantely, Apple provides developers with no way to offer special discounts to individual users. The Pro features do go on sale occasionally, so perhaps you can wait to activate them until the next sale. Sales are announced on Facebook and Twitter, as well as on the AgileBits blog.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani,

Thanks so much for giving 1Password a try! I'm glad to see that you've been getting the answers you need here in the forums. And I'd be happy to see if there's anything we can do to make it a bit easier for you to purchase the desktop version.

Please email in to support+forums@agilebits.com with the purchase receipt for the Pro features on iOS and mention this thread. :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks @hawkmonth and @Megan for your reply!

OK, i'll send today an email to the address you gave me.
    Meanwhile, I'm trying to get familiarized with the app, and I can say that i'm enjoying it... I haev just noticed that you added the "Pin Code" which is a feature that i was talking about in my previous posts, and it's just amazing :)

I do have few questions please:
    1- In Credit cards category, what is the "Section Name" used for?

2- when I select a vault, is it possible to keep it selected or by default avec after I quite and relaunch the app?

3- in the list of "Credit Cards", i don't know why some of the "visa", "mastercard" icons are not shown (attached image), and some how, not even the "visa" icon has disappeared... :/

(Screen capure deleted to protect privacy.)

Thanks a lot for your great support
    Regards

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I can answer a couple of your questions.

1. You cannot set a default vault when 1Paaword restarts. Other have noticed this and asked to add that as an option. I'd like that myself.

2. Error deleted.

Edit: I went to check my own credit cards, and found that I don't see any credit card icons at all in my list of cards. They only appear in the individual records. This is a shortcoming of the iOS application that others have commented on in the past, but no fix has arrived as yet. I'm now surprised that one of your records shows Visa.

I'm going to delete your screen shot. Although it doesn't show your card numbers, it shows more of them than I would be comfortable showing in a public forum.

• Hi @redani - thanks for emailing us with your purchase receipt. I am replying to you now and we look forward to you purchasing 1Password of your desktop. We know you will love it :)

ref: FVY-17814-444

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks again for your replies...

and what about question 1 ? i still dont get what "Section Name" is used for :D
    Hope the next updates will improve the app by adding the card icon in the list... :)

Have a lovely week end

• Jacob
    edited November 2015
    Options

@redani That's a great question. Sorry it wasn't answered before. We simply keep the name Section by default so you can add your own name to it. The same goes for Logins and a few other categories. Though, come to think of it, that might be a bit strange. I'll have a word with the team and see what they think about it. In the meantime, feel free to change it to whatever works best for you. I made mine Card Details when I first added the card because that makes the most sense to me. If you feel like putting Keys to the Money Kingdom in yours, we won't hold it against you. :)

ref: OPM-273

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

OK cool, thanks @penderworth for your reply ;)
    HAve a great weekend.
    Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You too! On behalf of penderworth, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everybody,

After using the app for about a week, I can only say that I'm totally disappointed, NOOO KIDDING :) I'm really fully happy and satisfied, so I recommend anybody reading this post and still hesitating, to go ahead and I'm sure you won't regret ;) the more I use it, the more I get addict to it :)

Aside my compliments, I'll have 3 questions pls:
    1- I'm using iCloud to sync, it syncs great but I need to open the app in my phone to update data! 1password is enables in "Backgroud app refresh" is it normal that it doesn't update data in the Backgroud?

2- again about the iCloud, in case I lose my phone and computer, is it possible to access data through iCloud? And not Dropbox!

3- is it possible to have the forms automatically prefilled without having to click on 1password icon and then select the website?

Thanks a lot
    Reda

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

After using the app for about a week, I can only say that I'm totally disappointed, NOOO KIDDING

@redani: ROFL :lol:

I'm really fully happy and satisfied, so I recommend anybody reading this post and still hesitating, to go ahead and I'm sure you won't regret ;) the more I use it, the more I get addict to it

That's so great! Thanks for your support! That said, I'm not sure that addiction sounds like the best outcome, but we'll be here for moral support too. ;)

1- I'm using iCloud to sync, it syncs great but I need to open the app in my phone to update data! 1password is enables in "Backgroud app refresh" is it normal that it doesn't update data in the Background?

Depending on how long it's been backgrounded, iOS may kill 1Password (like any app) to free up memory. So at that point it is no longer running and can't get updates from iCloud. Returning to the app launches it again, and then it can say, "Hey! iCloud has something new for me!" I'd say that I hope we could improve this in the future, but unfortunately the solution to this problem isn't software; it's more RAM. With newer devices having 2GB (or more!) though, this problem may become less common in the years to come.

2- again about the iCloud, in case I lose my phone and computer, is it possible to access data through iCloud? And not Dropbox!

No. Dropbox is unique in that. And with iCloud Sync, your 1Password data isn't stored in the filesystem (a la iCloud Drive); rather, it uses CloudKit, which is only accessible to the apps using Apple's sync APIs. You'd need a device that supports iCloud and has 1Password installed to access the data.

However, the upcoming 1Password for Teams has a web interface that might interest you. ;)

3- is it possible to have the forms automatically prefilled without having to click on 1password icon and then select the website?

It's technically possible, and most browsers will offer to do this for you. But 1Password is intentionally designed to only fill your sensitive information when you tell it to in order to avoid phishing scams.

Great questions! I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any others. :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

That's so great! Thanks for your support! That said, I'm not sure that addiction sounds like the best outcome, but we'll be here for moral support too. ;)

Well, I'm sure you also have an excellent support for addict people ;)

1- OK, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next updates..

2- what do you mean with "You'd need a device that supports iCloud" ? actually my devices both support iCloud!
    2.1- is it possible to sync with both iCloud and dropbox? i'll give priority to the one that securely saves the data...

3- Fair enough, you convinced me ;)

4- NEW QUESTION: I saw in the preferences the back up tab, where is the data being backed up?

Cheers and happy thanksgiving ;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani,

Well, I'm sure you also have an excellent support for addict people ;)

We love our users and want to make sure they are healthy and happy, no matter what ... but we're all pretty big fans of 1Password here, so I'm not sure we're the people to talk to if you need to curb that addiction.

1- OK, hopefully it'll be fixed in the next updates..

Please keep an eye on this - 1Password should update quickly once the app is open, but if you're missing data or items are not getting properly synced from one device to the other, we'd be happy to investigate further!

2- what do you mean with "You'd need a device that supports iCloud" ? actually my devices both support iCloud!

Your question was "in case I lose my phone and computer, is it possible to access data through iCloud?" And unfortunately, as Brenty explained, you need to install 1Password on a device that supports iCloud in order to access your data. There is no way to access your data via the iCloud website, for example.

2.1- is it possible to sync with both iCloud and dropbox?

We experimented with allowing multiple sync sources in the past, but we found it led to too many complications. So you will need to select the solution that works best for your needs.

i'll give priority to the one that securely saves the data...

The security of your 1Password data never depends on the security of the sync source you choose. 1Password uses AES 256-bit encryption, and your data is encrypted 'end-to-end', which means the only thing that is ever transmitted to the 'cloud' is a blob of data. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

3- Fair enough, you convinced me ;)

Whew, I'm glad to hear that! I am quite pleased that 1Password doesn't do any filling until I tell it to. Besides, with the ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) keyboard shortcut, it's hardly any effort to tell 1Password to fill.

4- NEW QUESTION: I saw in the preferences the back up tab, where is the data being backed up?

Where your data is stored depends on where you bought your copy of 1Password for Mac.

Mac App Store

Datafile: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    Backups: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

AgileBits Store

Datafile: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    Backups: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

These backups will be made on a daily basis, whenever data has been changed.

Happy thanksgiving to you as well! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Megan for your very detailed reply :)

Please keep an eye on this - 1Password should update quickly once the app is open, but if you're missing data or items are not getting properly synced from one device to the other, we'd be happy to investigate further!

Yes I know it's pretty fast, but the reason why I invoked this, is for example if I add some data on my desktop app, then forget to connect with my iOS, the day after i travel somewhere i won't have internet, if at that moment i launch the iOS app, then i'll get the sad surprise that some data is missing :unamused:

We experimented with allowing multiple sync sources in the past, but we found it led to too many complications. So you will need to select the solution that works best for your needs.

OK, so do you think it's a good idea to switch sometimes between dropbox and iCloud everytime i add new data just to keep it synced in 2 places??

I'll follow your tuto to sync with dropbox and will get back to you if I have any questions...

Whew, I'm glad to hear that! I am quite pleased that 1Password doesn't do any filling until I tell it to. Besides, with the ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) keyboard shortcut, it's hardly any effort to tell 1Password to fill.

Ummm, i tried it but didn't see anything happening ⌘\ (with the back slash) means i have to type in ⌘ Shift Alt / right?

Regards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes I know it's pretty fast, but the reason why I invoked this, is for example if I add some data on my desktop app, then forget to connect with my iOS, the day after i travel somewhere i won't have internet, if at that moment i launch the iOS app, then i'll get the sad surprise that some data is missing :unamused:

@redani: Ah, understood. Unfortunately an internet connection is necessary for 1Password to sync...and of course 1Password needs to be able to run in order to get the data. However, that's one area where iCloud should be superior to Dropbox (although in practice this can depend on a number of factors): because iCloud is built into the OS, it can sync data in the background at any time, independent of any apps, provided that you're connected to the internet; and then when you open an app (such as 1Password), it can simply ask for the new iCloud data (which the OS should already have), even if you're not connected at that point. I still prefer Dropbox for a number of rather nerdy reasons, but that's one thing Dropbox can't always do.

OK, so do you think it's a good idea to switch sometimes between dropbox and iCloud everytime i add new data just to keep it synced in 2 places??
    I'll follow your tuto to sync with dropbox and will get back to you if I have any questions...

Please do! I'll be happy to answer them. Honestly, unless you have a specific need to use both, I'd pick the one that is a better fit for you and stick with it, purely for simplicity and convenience sake. That said, there's no harm in switching, provided you don't pick the wrong vault (if you have more than one) in Dropbox when you switch back to it and merge your data. That's a pain.

Ummm, i tried it but didn't see anything happening ⌘\ (with the back slash) means i have to type in ⌘ Shift Alt / right?

You'll need to have the browser extension installed for this to work, but it sounds like you may simply have a keyboard layout that's problematic. The best thing to d would be to open 1Password for Mac, and then under Preferences > General you can set a keyboard shortcut that's more convenient. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

OK, i'll give dropbox a try ;)

Great, I managed to get to shortcuts working... :)

Have a lovely week end
    Cheers

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani,

It sounds like brenty and the others were able to help :smile: I hope you have a great weekend too and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

• maximillion82
    maximillion82
    Community Member
    Options

From a users standpoint 1Password has one major advantage over oneSafe. Many apps today allow you to use 1Password to login to the app. For example if you logout of eBay, you can tap the lock in the password field. You can use 1Password there to login, but not oneSafe.

OneSafe has the advantage, that the app is much nicer to look at which makes it for a better UX.

It's a toss at this point when we don't consider price difference. But I think for the price 1Password should really consider updating the UI and get rid of the Windows 95 era grey design. And use today's flat white design standards.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Many apps today allow you to use 1Password to login to the app. For example if you logout of eBay, you can tap the lock in the password field.

@maximillion82: I agree! The 1Password extensions are a great feature, and I use them dozens of times (if not more) each day.

It's a toss at this point when we don't consider price difference. But I think for the price 1Password should really consider updating the UI and get rid of the Windows 95 era grey design. And use today's flat white design standards.

Wow! I never thought I'd live to see it the day! :dizzy:

We don't get a ton of feedback like this, but it's usually in the other direction: folks who want 1Password to be less flat. We can't please everyone, but we'll continue to iterate and try to find a good middle ground. Cheers! :pirate:

• maximillion82
    maximillion82
    Community Member
    Options

For me it's not a deal breaker with the design, function is much more important, and I am happy that I purchased 1Password.
    Trends today are going towards simplicity and flat design, that's my big surprise about people wanting the opposite. But you are right it's hard to please everyone. I wouldn't bother too much with design. If you want to tinker with that, themes would be the way to go (two options (flat vs. non-flat and dark vs. light), anything more would be a waste of resources. I personally like when the apps use the design of the OS they are running on, makes it look more integrated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For me it's not a deal breaker with the design, function is much more important, and I am happy that I purchased 1Password.

@maximillion82: I'm glad to hear it! And it's always good to hear a fresh perspective. I couldn't agree more about function, but we certainly want to take both into account! :)

Trends today are going towards simplicity and flat design, that's my big surprise about people wanting the opposite. But you are right it's hard to please everyone. I wouldn't bother too much with design. If you want to tinker with that, themes would be the way to go (two options (flat vs. non-flat and dark vs. light), anything more would be a waste of resources. I personally like when the apps use the design of the OS they are running on, makes it look more integrated.

Honestly I think a lot of it is just what we're accustomed to. I was super put-off going from bubbly iOS 6 icons to flat iOS 7 back in the day. I adjusted, but I remember it well, so I can definitely sympathize (for example, someone moving from Mavericks to Yosemite/El Capitan). This stuff always makes for an interesting discussion. Thanks again for the feedback! :chuffed:

• maximillion82
    maximillion82
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Well it's difficult to cater to everyone. I like change and was happy about iOS changing as well as OS X. But I also agree that many people are resisting change.
    My opinion is always if you make a product, make one you love yourself and use yourself and you'll do fine.

This discussion has been closed.