I need help sync my wife and 2 daughters: all with mac,iPhone,ipad.

Options
chernobog
chernobog
Community Member

I have a mac runnig os 10.11, an Iphone 6 running ios 9.1, an ipad with ios 9.1 and I have an individual iCloud account and I would like to sync with my wife and 2 daughters who have similar devices: mac, iPhone, ipad

Which method is best? Is there a flowchart or instruction set on how to do this? do we do this with vaults?

1Password Version: 5.4 mac app store
Extension Version: 4.3.3
OS Version: os X 10.11
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: ug:ios/pro-features, ug:ios/sync-with-icloud, ug:ios/using-multitasking, ug:ios/syncing, kb:sync-options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chernobog: Ultimately it depends on how you want things setup. Dropbox Sync can accommodate a wide variety of configurations. For example, you could each have a personal vault, and then share a 'family' vault that syncs between all of you. Similarly, you could have another vault that is shared only between you and your wife. Let me know what you're going for, and I'll be happy to walk you through getting things set up! :)

• chernobog
    chernobog
    Community Member
    Options

What we have is working again, but I would like to understand alternatives. My wife is holding the MAIN copy and shares the dropbox folder with everybody else. Can you walk me thru sharing a family vault that syncs between all of us?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chernobog,

Do you mean your wife synced a vault to Dropbox and then shared that with everyone else? If so, that's the right way to do it. Someone has to create a vault, sync it with Dropbox, and then share the folder in Dropbox that contains the sync file. Even though it originated from your wife's computer and is being shared with you, the copy that is downloaded to your own computer will work the same way as if it's one of your own Dropbox files.

In order to share a vault, you (or your wife, or someone else in your family) just needs to follow the steps here: Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers?

Are those the steps your wife followed? If so, are you running into any trouble with that? Or did you have questions about a specific part of the sharing process? Remember that the actual syncing & sharing of that vault is being done by Dropbox. 1Password simply reads/writes data to/from the local copy of the sync file within the Dropbox folder on your computer.

What sort of "alternatives" would you like to understand?

This discussion has been closed.