1 Password 5 Safari Browser extension not working

Options

I just upgraded to 1 Password v5. I removed the old Safari Browser extension and downloaded the new one - 1Password-4.4.4 4.01.52 PM.safariextz, I can't find anything newer - links from the application and from the support forum all go to 4.4.4.4. This extension can't find the app and says it only works with 1 Password 4.

Also, installed successfully in Chrome, but no 1 Password extension icon

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: forum-search:1 Password 5 extension for Safari

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dollar,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the extension! Version 4 of the extension is the correct one for 1Password 5 (you might be seeing an older error message that needs to be updated to reflect that). The latest release of the extension for Safari is 4.4.4, and the latest release of the extension for Chrome is 4.4.3.

If I understand the problem, the extension is installed in Safari and you can see the 1Password extension icon in Safari's toolbar, but when you click on it, you get the error message that says it cannot find the 1Password app. Is that correct? If so, please make sure the 1Password 5.app file is in the Applications folder on your Mac. Are you able to open the main app, unlock it with your master password, and see all your data there? If the main app seems to be working correctly, please try following the steps in this knowledgebase article: Troubleshooting communication issues between 1Password and the extension

As for the Chrome extension, please open Chrome and go to Window > Extensions. Does that show the extension is installed and enabled? If so, what is the exact version of that extension?

Thanks!

• KJL
    KJL
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. Just installed the update and now my Chrome extension won't work unless I have the full 1Password5 app open with my master password entered. It's frustrating. I will never let the app auto update again. I don't have time to search for passwords and spend minutes logging in just to make it work every time I need an app password.

1 Password 5.app is in my Applications folder on my Mac.
    Window > Extensions show the extension installed and enabled. I have updated it twice in the past two days trying to fix this. It is 4.5.1.90

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @KJL,

I'm sorry the extension in Chrome isn't working correctly for you after the update! That can definitely be frustrating, but I'm sure we'll be able to get this working correctly again for you.

If I understand the problem, when you try to use the 1Password extension in Chrome, you see a message that says "Looking for the 1Password app" but doesn't seem to be able to find it unless you open (and unlock) the main 1Password app. Is that correct? (If not, please let us know exactly what happens.)

If that's the problem, you should be able to solve that by following the steps in this knowledgebase article. If you try the steps there but still have the same issue, you should also try restarting Chrome (and if that doesn't help, try restarting your Mac).

Does any of that help? If not, please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• KJL
    KJL
    Community Member
    Options

So here's the deal. I followed the instructions in the knowledgebase article. I restarted my computer and now it's worse. My keychain is completely corrupted. I've lost all my keychain logins because it was asking for my passwords over and over. On the bright side the extension worked in my browser for five minutes. Now it doesn't work again.

The frustrating part is I can tie this issue back exactly to the day of your last auto upgrade a few days ago. Everything broke with that.

• KJL
    KJL
    Community Member
    Options

So here's the update. I've modified everything again in the proxies. The only way the 1Password browser extension works is if I have 1Password5 updated and open with the master password entered on my Mac. Before I updated 1Password5, if i used the browser extension, it would bring up a sign-in box in the browser that allowed me to enter my master password. Now it just tells me I don't have the app installed - UNLESS - I have the app open with the master password entered.

It seems the update to the program broke the connection to browser extension, only enabling it to work if you have the full app open with the master password entered.

This isn't a configuration or proxy issue, it's a problem with the code update this week. I didn't have this issue until the last update and this is a critical fix.

• KJL
    KJL
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Also, I should add this was the update that came across this week - asking me if I wanted to update 1Password to the latest version. I of course clicked yes.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @KJL,

I think the best way forward will be for us to review a diagnostic report, this guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• KJL
    KJL
    Community Member
    Options

Done and sent - thank you!!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @KJL,

Thank you. I've found your diagnostic report and somebody will be in touch shortly.

ref: LFW-28521-676

This discussion has been closed.