Slow Safari startup with 1Password enabled (when the Cache is out of date)

praseodym
praseodym
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
With 1Password enabled, it takes about 10 seconds to get Safari started up. This is gets pretty annoying real fast.

The console log is as follows:
07/01/10 19:32:17 1PasswordAgent[73171] (Information) Activating Safari extension '[snip]/30459/WebKitExtension.bundle'
07/01/10 19:32:26 [0x0-0x1068067].com.apple.Safari[99448] [30459] Thu Jan 7 19:32:26 2010| >install
07/01/10 19:32:27 Safari[99448] reloadAllObjects
07/01/10 19:32:29 Safari[99448] Database (agilekeychain:snip/1Password.agilekeychain) load time [NSOperationQueue]: 1.103 (530 objects)
07/01/10 19:32:30 Safari[99448] watchProfile

This is on Mac OS 10.6.2 with 1Password 3.0.3.BETA-3 (build 30459) on a one year old iMac.

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Could you try the Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache and also Rebuild Data File? That should help get any caching or fragmentation issues sorted out.
  • praseodym
    praseodym
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Just tried this (and upgraded to 3.0.3.BETA-4) and it looks like the caching now kicks in properly:
    08/01/10 14:15:32 1PasswordAgent[30339] (Information) Activating Safari extension '[snip]/30463/WebKitExtension.bundle'
    08/01/10 14:15:32 [0x0-0x1524523].com.apple.Safari[30376] [30463] Fri Jan 8 14:15:32 2010| >install
    08/01/10 14:15:33 Safari[30376] reloadAllObjects
    08/01/10 14:15:33 Safari[30376] Database (agilekeychain:snip/1Password.agilekeychain) load time [Cache]: 0.053 (530 objects)
    08/01/10 14:15:36 Safari[30376] watchProfile

Safari loads noticeably quicker. Thanks!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    That's good news, praseodym! Thanks for the update.
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited January 2010
    Also recently noticed slow closing and opening of tabs in Safari which disappears when I remove the 1Password extensions and reappears when I reinstall them...might be something in the latest beta. Also slow clicking the "1P" menubar item, though other Safari menus are snappy. But it's also not doing it on my MacBook. Ghost in the machine...tried all the usual troubleshooting steps in 1Password and Snow Leopard too. MacBook's running the same stuff.

I should add that the tabs are slow closing only when I use "Command-W." Closing them with the mouse is fast as usual.

1Password: Version 3.0.3.BETA-8 (build 30471)
    Mac OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Safari Version 4.0.4 (6531.21.10): 1P, Glims, Cooliris, Adblock

Model Name:	Mac Pro
      Model Identifier:	MacPro3,1
      Processor Name:	Quad-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed:	2.8 GHz
      Number Of Processors:	1
      Total Number Of Cores:	4
      L2 Cache:	12 MB
      Memory:	6 GB
      Bus Speed:	1.6 GHz
      Boot ROM Version:	MP31.006C.B05
      SMC Version (system):	1.25f4

• sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Just confirming that this slowness I described above was introduced with the latest Beta (Version 3.0.3.BETA-8 (build 30471)). I hadn't updated my MacBook like I had my Mac Pro to the latest Beta, but when I did all these odd changes happened (general sluggishness when Command-W closing tabs and windows and the MENU ITEM key icon turned into "1P"). I submitted a diagnostic report to Agile.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    Just confirming that this slowness I described above was introduced with the latest Beta (Version 3.0.3.BETA-8 (build 30471)). I hadn't updated my MacBook like I had my Mac Pro to the latest Beta, but when I did all these odd changes happened (general sluggishness when Command-W closing tabs and windows and the MENU ITEM key icon turned into "1P"). I submitted a diagnostic report to Agile.

This is very strange as I have a very similar setup as yours (Snow Leopard + 1P3.0.3 Beta 8 ) and am not experiencing any sluggishness at all. The main difference is Glims and Cooliris; I just installed Glims and after a few minutes of use everything is still fast.

I found your diagnostics report from a few days ago and one thing that stuck out was several "Failed to decrypt" error messages in the Safari log. I doubt that this is direct cause of the CMD-W sluggishness because we don't decrypt anything when closing tabs, but perhaps it is related somehow. Can you run the Rebuild Data File command again and send me an updated diagnostics script?
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Dave,

I tried systematically removing all my input managers one-at-a-time, but it seems that only removing 1Password returned the Cmd-W tab/window closing speed. I've done this several times, but I will rebuild again and send a new report to you. I did notice all those fail to decrypt messages in the report, but was clueless. Don't know if it matters or not, but I store my agile keychain in my Dropbox.

Shane
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Shane, I replied to your email directly, so please check that out and let us know what you find. We can update this thread as we go along or we can update it after everything has settled out, whichever you prefer. :)
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Jamie/Dave,

The latest release Version 3.0.7 (build 30517) fixes my Safari sluggishness...instantly gone. Don't know what you did but thanks!!! (also put the key icon back in the menu bar...thanks!) (rock)
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    That Roustem guy is amazing like that! I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now. Thanks for the update!
  • AGV
    AGV
    edited December 1969
    Rebuilding Data File & Clearing Cache should be a feature that is highlighted more - never done it since owning 1P for over a year, maybe 2 years.

For many months ive been very frustrated with Safari starting up extremely slowly - 20 to 60+ seconds (!!!!). I suspected it was 1P but for whatever reason i never looked into it until today.

Did the clear cache and rebuilt file and now safari starts up immediately - its soooo soooo nice not having that stall every time. I guess im alittle dumb for not looking into it early but maybe this could be an auto prompt after every 1P version upgrade?

Great great great great app!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Cotkill99, thanks for that last comment ;) and for the interesting suggestion.

I'm glad Safari's all snappy for you again!
  • antum
    antum
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi there,

I just registered so I could post my thanks for this thread!

I've had 1Password for a couple of years now... I think... and Safari was taking about 10 seconds to load up, I finally found this and rebuilt the data file ... it took about 3 hours and went into Not Responding mode... but I let it do its thing... and now....

WOW... Safari loads and is ready to go in less than 2 seconds... amazing!!!!

I also vote for a reminder or something for long time users to say something like:

"Is Safari taking awhile to load for you?

Try these simple steps

1." etc...

Thanks again,
    Ant
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    antum wrote:
    I just registered so I could post my thanks for this thread!

Thanks, Ant, for signing into the forums to let us know this technique helped you. And welcome!
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    First, I can verify that removing the old InputManager left over from the 1PW 2.x days definitely made Safari (ver. 5) start up faster (2 - 3 icon bounces in the Dock instead of about 10). Start up is almost instantaneous now, thank goodness.

Second, this command-key sluggishness (and even clicking the 1P or key icons) I've been going through has persisted (any Command key combination is slow on Safari 4 and 5). This means sluggish behavior for key combinations like Cmd-T to make a new tab, Cmd-W to close a tab, or even Cmd-Q to quit Safari. Very LONG pauses before the desired result follows the keystroke combination. (banghead)

However, I made a discovery today that I wanted to pass along to you all at Agile, which may or may not help troubleshoot this issue. It's reproducible on my Mac Pro and my MacBook. The sluggishness ONLY occurs while 1PW is unlocked. As soon as I LOCK 1PW again, the snappiness of my command keys in Safari 5 returns!!! Unlock the keychain, back to sluggishness. Completely reproducible on both my machines.

I have rebuilt the data file and cleared caches several times. The only other InputManagers I still have running are DeliciousSafari and the latest beta of Glims (if that's even still an InputManager). :roll:

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac Pro
      Model Identifier:	MacPro3,1
      Processor Name:	Quad-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed:	2.8 GHz
      Number Of Processors:	1
      Total Number Of Cores:	4
      L2 Cache:	12 MB
      Memory:	6 GB
      Bus Speed:	1.6 GHz
      Boot ROM Version:	MP31.006C.B05
      SMC Version (system):	1.25f4

System Software Overview:

System Version:	Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
      Kernel Version:	Darwin 10.4.0
      Boot Volume:	Mac OS
      Boot Mode:	Normal
      Computer Name:	My Mac
      Secure Virtual Memory:	Enabled
      64-bit Kernel and Extensions:	No

Also recently noticed slow closing and opening of tabs in Safari which disappears when I remove the 1Password extensions and reappears when I reinstall them...might be something in the latest beta. Also slow clicking the "1P" menubar item, though other Safari menus are snappy. But it's also not doing it on my MacBook. Ghost in the machine...tried all the usual troubleshooting steps in 1Password and Snow Leopard too. MacBook's running the same stuff.

I should add that the tabs are slow closing only when I use "Command-W." Closing them with the mouse is fast as usual.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    Hi SonicDeviant,

Can you disable both Glims and DeclisiousSafari for us and check if the issues are still persisting? I had a ticket where Glims was the cause of the issue and updating or disabling it did fix 1PW problem.
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Mikhail,

Just removed both Glims and DeliciousSafari...issue still persists exactly as I mentioned before. I also went ahead and disabled Extensions in Safari 5 for good measure and the behavior is the same: slow key commands in Safari with the keychain unlocked.

I should add that I'm using Dropbox for my Agile Keychain...don't know if that makes a difference or not (or whether it should).

SD

MikhailT wrote:
    Hi SonicDeviant,

Can you disable both Glims and DeclisiousSafari for us and check if the issues are still persisting? I had a ticket where Glims was the cause of the issue and updating or disabling it did fix 1PW problem.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    Have you try disabling 1PW and enabling it already, if yes,. Then can you create a diagnostic report (1PW Menu, Help>Troubleshooting> Diagnostic Report ) and send it to support AT agile DOT ws. We'll look at it as soon as we can.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    First, I can verify that removing the old InputManager left over from the 1PW 2.x days definitely made Safari (ver. 5) start up faster (2 - 3 icon bounces in the Dock instead of about 10). Start up is almost instantaneous now, thank goodness.

This is very strange as Snow Leopard should ignore Input Managers when in 64-bit mode. Did you change Safari to run in 32-bit mode?

However, I made a discovery today that I wanted to pass along to you all at Agile, which may or may not help troubleshoot this issue. It's reproducible on my Mac Pro and my MacBook. The sluggishness ONLY occurs while 1PW is unlocked. As soon as I LOCK 1PW again, the snappiness of my command keys in Safari 5 returns!!! Unlock the keychain, back to sluggishness. Completely reproducible on both my machines.

This is a real head scratcher. I don't see any red flags in your diagnostics report. I'm guessing it has something to do with 32-bit mode or an incompatibility with one of your Internet Plugins or another extension (you ruled out Input Managers but not all extensions use these).

If you are in 32-bit mode, try 64-bit and see if the behaviour changes. If it doesn't, try renaming (do not remove!!) your /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder and then restarting Safari and see if that affects anything. And be sure to remember to put it back when your done testing :)
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm having the same problem on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.4 and Safari 5.0. The only input manager I see is SmartCrashReports 1.2.1 and I have the ClickToFlash.webplugin in Internet Plugins. Removing SmartCrashReports (don't know what installer put it there), solved the problem, so I must be running Safari in 32-bit mode.

How do I switch it back to 64?
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    How do I switch it back to 64?

Find Safari in your Applications folder, select it and press Command-I to Get Info. Then deselect the option to "Open in 32-bit mode."

Hope that helps!
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, Rob. Done.
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    dteare wrote:
    This is very strange as Snow Leopard should ignore Input Managers when in 64-bit mode. Did you change Safari to run in 32-bit mode?

This is a real head scratcher. I don't see any red flags in your diagnostics report. I'm guessing it has something to do with 32-bit mode or an incompatibility with one of your Internet Plugins or another extension (you ruled out Input Managers but not all extensions use these).

If you are in 32-bit mode, try 64-bit and see if the behaviour changes. If it doesn't, try renaming (do not remove!!) your /Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder and then restarting Safari and see if that affects anything. And be sure to remember to put it back when your done testing :)

Hi Dave, :cool:

I can tell you I was running in 32-bit mode before, because all the remaining InputManagers I used HAD required it. Not any more. They all appear to work in 64-bit now after updates; I had just failed to uncheck the 32-bit checkbox for Safari. So, I thought...eureka! Unfortunately, 64-bit mode doesn't help my sluggishness issue when the keychain is unlocked.

I am unable to rename my Internet Plug-ins folder, even though I have Read/Write privileges as admin. Can I just drag it to my desktop temporarily, delete the original, and then drag it back afterwards (repair permissions)? :confused:
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    Hi Dave, :cool:

I can tell you I was running in 32-bit mode before, because all the remaining InputManagers I used HAD required it. Not any more. They all appear to work in 64-bit now after updates; I had just failed to uncheck the 32-bit checkbox for Safari. So, I thought...eureka! Unfortunately, 64-bit mode doesn't help my sluggishness issue when the keychain is unlocked.

I am unable to rename my Internet Plug-ins folder, even though I have Read/Write privileges as admin. Can I just drag it to my desktop temporarily, delete the original, and then drag it back afterwards (repair permissions)? :confused:

You don't have to rename your folder, you can create an archive of the contents inside the folder and delete them after leaving only the archive, if it doesn't work, you can restore the contents by extracting the archive.
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MikhailT wrote:
    You don't have to rename your folder, you can create an archive of the contents inside the folder and delete them after leaving only the archive, if it doesn't work, you can restore the contents by extracting the archive.

Okay, made another breakthrough. Changing plugins had no effect. However, if I turn off the "Menu Key" icon that appears in Safari's menubar (using 1PW's preferences), leaving the keychain unlocked no longer slows Safari down when using command keys. But if I reenable the icon in the menubar, the sluggishness returns in Safari (again...that's when using command key equivalents while the keychain is unlocked). No clue why...but whatever it is, it's related to the key icon in the menubar. Just passing that bit of info along. Hope it helps others.

Can anyone else reproduce this command key sluggishness I'm talking about? (banghead)
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    Okay, made another breakthrough. Changing plugins had no effect. However, if I turn off the "Menu Key" icon that appears in Safari's menubar (using 1PW's preferences), leaving the keychain unlocked no longer slows Safari down when using command keys. But if I reenable the icon in the menubar, the sluggishness returns in Safari (again...that's when using command key equivalents while the keychain is unlocked). No clue why...but whatever it is, it's related to the key icon in the menubar. Just passing that bit of info along. Hope it helps others.

Can anyone else reproduce this command key sluggishness I'm talking about? (banghead)

I can't seem to reproduce this, even with the 1P key menu item. I do have a brand new MBP, but I didn't notice any sluggishness at all, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

You might try creating another OS X user account on your machine and setting up 1Password on it with Safari for a fresh test. Don't install any other extensions, but make sure that 1Password is working just fine. Then see if you can reproduce the problem on that user account. If you can, let us know. If you can't, then you might want to clear some caches or old preference files from your main user and see if that helps.

Let us know!
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    <Rob /> wrote:
    I can't seem to reproduce this, even with the 1P key menu item. I do have a brand new MBP, but I didn't notice any sluggishness at all, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

You might try creating another OS X user account on your machine and setting up 1Password on it with Safari for a fresh test. Don't install any other extensions, but make sure that 1Password is working just fine. Then see if you can reproduce the problem on that user account. If you can, let us know. If you can't, then you might want to clear some caches or old preference files from your main user and see if that helps.

Let us know!

Nah, not worth all the trouble. I can function fine without the menubar "key" icon. I use the contextual menu anyway. No sluggishness without that menu "key" icon.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    Nah, not worth all the trouble. I can function fine without the menubar "key" icon. I use the contextual menu anyway. No sluggishness without that menu "key" icon.

OK, well thanks for posting that workaround. If the issue comes up again, please let us know.

Thanks again for your help!
This discussion has been closed.