Computer crash and restore

Stephen_C
Stephen_C
Community Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: Computer crashed, settings not backed up BUT I had a full data recovery.

Comments

• TontoKowalski
    TontoKowalski
    Community Member

I have this exact same problem...I had a MacBook Pro hard drive completely die on me and now have a new computer. I've downloaded the 1Password software and am attempting to get bad up to speed.

BUT, I was able to send my hard drive out for full data recovery. So, I've got that hard drive sitting here on my desk. Is there any way I can recover my old passwords and settings from a hidden file on that hard drive?

OR, would it be easiest for me to start from scratch?

Also, I don't recall how I had my original account set up. Meaning, I don't know what I chose as a back up or where I directed it to.

Thanks,
    Jereme

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

If you have version 4 or 5 of 1Password, you didn't choose where your backups are stored or how often they are made. Those are controlled by 1Password itself. You didn't say what version of 1Password you had on the older machine. We'll need to know that to direct you to the data files on the recovered hard drive. But you will certainly be able to recover your data if the hard drive recovery is complete.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    This discussion was created from comments split from: I got a new computer and need to transfer my passwords.
  • Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@TontoKowalski please keep posts on this subject in this other thread because it makes support very challenging when you post about the same problem in more than one place...and isn't so easy for you to find the answer you need. I will respond now in the other thread.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@TontoKowalski, I see that we were helping you in this other thread and that you've emailed us a diagnostics report. Since the conversation has moved to email, we'll keep the conversation going there, and I'll close this discussion to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. Hopefully we'll help you get this all sorted out very soon! :)

ref: ZMQ-53967-684

This discussion has been closed.