Master Password Syncing Issue

Options
EAPTCB
EAPTCB
Community Member
edited October 2015 in iOS

Hi everyone.

I successfully changed my master password on my iPad last night, and today I tried my new master password on my iPhone, and my Windows PC version of 1P, but the new password did not work, I entered my original password and it logged me in! I went back to the iPad and tried 'old' password, but it didn't work, only the new password I setup last night works.

So basically, I now have TWO different Master Passwords for the SAME data on the Dropbox keychain!!

This can't be right?!

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @EAPTCB

I have seen a few reports of this recently, so I plan on bringing it up to our development team, but you should be able to change the password on each device:

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/

I apologize for the inconvenience!

Thanks!

Ben

• mattwarren
    mattwarren
    Community Member
    Options

I did the same thing. I use 1P on my Mac and iPhone. When I changed my master password on my Mac, I deleted the app from my iPhone. Then re-downloaded it, and re-entered my 1P account. New password worked!

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff and @mattwarren Thanks guys. BTW @bwoodruff does this 'dual master password bug' potentionally have any security issues I should be concerned about? It all seems a bit concerning that I can have access to my 1Password keychain via 2 different passwords. :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @EAPTCB,

For nothing more than peace of mind I would probably suggest changing the Master Password on the other devices to bring them all into line. Ensure you have an up-to-date backup on your Windows machine first using the menu option Backup > Back Up 1Password Vault... and then change the Master Password there. It will be of interest to see if the iPhone picks up the change. I'm not sure if it still applies but at one point you would unlock with the old Master Password so 1Password for iOS could sync the changes and then lock it using the Lock Now option in Settings > Security. At this point the new Master Password should work. This doesn't apply to 1Password for Windows though so there is definitely a bug given what you experienced after changing the Master Password on the iPad.

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but the security issue still remains, do I need to take any kind of action other than what you stated? I mean, could someone else create a new password and log into my passwords?

• Ben
    Options

Nope. :)

The keychain has to be unlocked using the Master Password before you can change the Master Password.

Ben

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks.

• Ben
    Options

No problem. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.