Auto-submit not working, but autofill does

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password not working on El Capitan.

Comments

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

I've got this same problem - 1PW extension will auto fill but not login for some reason. Small extra step but annoying. I tried what was recommended above w/ Terminal & still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

• Hey @mtnbeach! I've moved your post into its own thread because you seem to be having a different issue. If you're having trouble with a login being submitted automatically after filling, could you make sure the Submit logins box is checked under the extension's gear icon? It's also worth unchecking it and checking it again just to be safe. If things still aren't working, could you check that they are specific to some sites or across the whole system? Let us know! :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hey thanks! Will try this and let you know :)

• @mtnbeach Sounds good! :+1: We'll be here.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Okay it works now ( reset it as per your instructions) - very slowly but it submits! :) Is this more of a 1PW glitch or an El Capitan one?

• Lots of weird sync problems w/ El Capitan even w/in the OSX
  • mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a bunch, btw! :)

• @mtnbeach

Okay it works now ( reset it as per your instructions) - very slowly but it submits!

Glad to hear it's working, but it should be rather quick. Does it take a second or two, or more than 10 seconds?

Is this more of a 1PW glitch or an El Capitan one?

Are you referring to the following quote?

Lots of weird sync problems w/ El Capitan even w/in the OSX

If you're having trouble with syncing, I'd be happy to help you out, but I'd need just a bit more info:

• What version of 1Password are you using?
    • What type of syncing do you currently have set up?
    • When did things start acting funny?
    • Could you explain the issue a bit?

That'll definitely help us track down what's going on. :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Okay, sorry to confuse. It's glitchy (1PW mini/ extension) now, which has never been a problem before. 2nd line question re: El Capitan was more a question as to a) where this problem originates (1 PW or Capitan) plus b) a general comment that I've had other problems with El Capitan messing up mail & directories etc.

1PW glitch: Seems the 'reset' (un-tick & retick) 1PW only works once, then it defaults back to not auto-submitting. When it does auto submit after reset, it takes about 3-5 seconds. Then goes back to not auto submitting.

I'm using 1PW5.4.1, El Capitan 10.11.1

re: What type of syncing do you currently have set up?
    the sync seems to be fine - I sync from 1PW wifi on my phone. It's a bit cumbersome app on the phone (must use it within the app) but that's off topic.

• @mtnbeach Thanks for getting back to me on this. Are you having trouble with auto-submitting on a particular site, or is this issue across all of them? If it's a specific site, please post a link to it here if you can. That would help us immensely with troubleshooting since we'll be able to try to reproduce it on our side. :)

the sync seems to be fine - I sync from 1PW wifi on my phone. It's a bit cumbersome app on the phone (must use it within the app) but that's off topic.

We'd be happy to help you out with things here as well. We always love to get feedback from people on their experience with the app. Feel free to post what's going on with your phone when you have a moment. We'd love to look into making the experience the best it can be for you.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi penderworth & thanks again. It's Twitter - Oddly works sporadically (on & off) - It'll fill user name & sometimes takes up to 10 sec to submit password & load the page. Other times takes just a few seconds or it just auto-fills & doesn't auto submit. I haven't noticed it yet being a problem with other sites & never had the problem before.

Re: phone - I use an iPhone (5S) & Safari doesn't have a "key" icon for 1PW, so you have to launch 1PW & submit from within the app. So that's cumbersome switching back & forth, then getting back to the page you want.

Aside from that 1PW for desktop is excellent. No problems there whatsoever & very happy with it. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mtnbeach,

Can I ask, when was the last time you rebooted your Mac? If it's been a while it might be the cause of this intermittent behaviour. Sometimes a reboot can flush a few caches etc. and result in slightly more consistent behaviour. It would be quite different if the issue was always happening but the on-off makes me think it might not be 1Password. I did say might so I'm not saying it won't require further investigation.

In regards to you comment about 1Password for iOS. iOS is a very different beast and heavily bolted down which is actually good for the user in many cases. If you want something a lot more open there's Android but I'm happy with the walled garden as well as the ability to sync things like address books and calendars without going via Google. Bringing it back on topic, I'm wondering if the page Fill items in Safari (iOS) will be of interest to you. It won't let you perform open and fill so the page has to be loaded to start but it will allow you to fill from within Safari. I love the extension so I hope you find it as useful as I do.

Please do let us know if a reboot does or doesn't help with Twitter and see what you think about our iOS 1Password Safari Extension :smile:

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I'm experiencing the opposite problem to what people are describing above. I purchased 1Password 5.4 from Mac App Store for a client's new iMac (5K Retina, 27-inch, Late 2015), which is running a very clean install of El Capitan 10.11.1, Safari 9.0.1, Firefox 41.0.2, and Chrome 46.0.2490.80. I installed the 1Password browser extensions in all three browsers.

"Automatically submit logins after filling" is most definitely not checked in 1Password Preferences. nor is "Submit Logins" selected in any of the browser extensions. And yet, when I use the 1Password browser in any of the browsers to fill in username and password information, the "submit" button is automatically "pressed." This is totally different than I've ever seen before in 1Password, although this is the first time I've installed and used 1Password on a Mac running El Capitan 10.11.1.

I tried checking "Automatically submit logins after filling" and got the notice about needing to select a script to make it work, then cancelled the dialog box that followed. Also tried selecting Submit Logins in Safari browser extension. Same as with the Preferences checkbox: got the warning, and then cancelled the dialog box. So that's additional confirmation that "auto submit logins" is off.

But if it is off, then why is 1Password consistently auto-submitting login information? Are others seeing this behavior?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @billj,

This is the first report I've seen for this and that is indeed odd behaviour. I will look into it but I'm wondering if you'd be willing to try something. Can you try letting 1Password install the script (the selected folder should be the correct one) and this will allow the setting to become permanently enabled. If you then disable it does this make a difference? What I'm wondering, and will try testing too, is if the preference is a bit mangled and it's set as enabled but is being programmatically disabled because the script isn't present. It's just a thought rattling around my head and maybe nothing will come out of this but it might yield something of interest too.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables & thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delayed response back. No it isn't a reboot problem nor history problem. :p The problem's ongoing but seems confined to Twitter mainly. Maybe it's Twitter.

Thanks for the recommendation - I may check that out for my iOS. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mtnbeach,

I'm not a twitter user myself but I do have a test account there. I doubt I log into it anywhere near as much as an actual user though so maybe I've just been lucky so far. I'm not aware of a dedicated login page at all so the issue is present for you on the homepage at https://twitter.com. Another possibility is I'm not replicating the correct situation. There are three main ways to use a Login item.

1. Manually load the web page and use ⌘\ to fill.
    2. Open 1Password mini either by clicking the 1Password icon in your web browser or the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ and then search for the item. Selecting an item results in what we refer to as open and fill.
    3. Clicking on the URL of a Login item from within the main 1Password window. This is also open and fill.

I can try repeatedly logging in and out using the same approach as you and see if anything pops out.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi lettlebobbytables. I will try your suggestion & report back. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We look forward to hearing how it goes, @mtnbeach! :)

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables & Drew_AG :) Thanks for your patience & advice!

Same problem continues & seems that 1PW login works the 1st time I log in to a page (ie) Go to webpage, click mini 1PW, autofill/ submit works. If I log out for a while & login later, it doesn't auto-submit. Must manually click on the "login" button to submit. - (e.g.) Using 1PW on Twitter*, log out to do other work & later login again brings the problem up.

*Note: I noticed I have a (new?) problem auto-submitting on Facebook also - It'll only submit user name but not password, although both are shown in 1PW normally. Haven't had this issue previously (but I use FB infrequently). I must cut & paste the two fields separately, which is an inconvenience.

So.....Tried all your suggestions w/ Twitter ( bold = the results):

Manually load the web page and use ⌘\ to fill.
    Autofill but does not submit

Open 1Password mini either by clicking the 1Password icon in your web browser or the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ and then search for the item. Selecting an item results in what we refer to as open and fill.
    Autofill but does not submit

Clicking on the URL of a Login item from within the main 1Password window. This is also open and fill._
    Autofill and DOES submit √

Worst case, as I noted in my other thread, I have to manually click on the "login" button w/ Twitter, and cut & paste for FB. An inconvenience that shouldn't happen but... not the end of the world.

Hope this gets fixed or you have another suggestion that might work! Thanks in advance.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hello @mtnbeach,

It probably won't seem very reassuring but now I'm really confused. One of the approaches will reliably fill and it's clicking on the website field from within the main 1Password window? If I had to rank the different filling methods I'd probably say that one was the most fragile of the three yet it's the only one that works for you. I've requested a diagnostic report in the other thread with your ongoing issues there but I can't help and wonder if something is just not right with this particular installation of El Capitan, it seems like you're having to do a lot fighting with it.

ref: TWH-25816-666

This discussion has been closed.