Could drag 'n' dropping to favourites in the sidebar be considered?

pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

I've just recently discovered the joy of using favourites in 1Password for Windows, for frequently used passwords.

However, I tried drag 'n' dropping a login, or other item, from the main window to favourites in the sidebar, and I see that you can't do this on the Windows version of 1Password.

Using the Mac version, I see that this can be done, so I'm just wondering if this could be enabled for the Windows version, or if there's a reason why it can't be done on Windows?

(Edit: I also realise you can right-click on an item and select mark as favourite, but I think it's nice to have multiple ways to achieve this).

Many thanks, Paul

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pbryanw: It's definitely something we'll consider adding in the future. The ability to reorder Favorites is a recent addition, and we'd like to make more usability improvements like that going forward.

The primary reasons for differences between the Mac and Windows versions are the platforms themselves, but also the fact that 1Password for Mac has had a considerable head start. 1Password for Windows was first released after 1Password for Mac had seen 3 major releases across many years, and the second major release of 1Password for Windows was just last year.

A focus going forward will be more consistency across platforms, so I appreciate you bringing this up in particular. Be sure to let us know if there are other improvements you'd like to see! :)

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@brenty - Thanks for your reply. I've been using 1Password for Windows since the first beta a couple of years ago, and it's come a long way since then :+1:

The one major (in my opinion) improvement I'd love to see brought across to the Windows version from the Mac, is widescreen view. By this, I mean the interface getting divided into three columns, which makes better use of the available space on a widescreen monitor. I've brought it up during the past two betas, and I hope I'll be able to see it one-day incorporated into 1Password for Windows :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty - Thanks for your reply. I've been using 1Password for Windows since the first beta a couple of years ago, and it's come a long way since then :+1:

@pbryanw: Thanks so much for the kind words — and your long-time support, from the sound of it! :eh:

The one major (in my opinion) improvement I'd love to see brought across to the Windows version from the Mac, is widescreen view. By this, I mean the interface getting divided into three columns, which makes better use of the available space on a widescreen monitor. I've brought it up during the past two betas, and I hope I'll be able to see it one-day incorporated into 1Password for Windows :+1:

Well, I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually prefer the list view. I understand exactly what you mean though. The list view makes sense for me because I tend to use 1Password in a smaller window, both on Windows and OS X. Full screen it is much less useful.

But I think the deeper truth behind your request is that 1Password for Windows could use a bit more flexibility. And you're absolutely right! I can't promise that we'll bring the three-pane interface to Windows, but two things we'll be working to improve going forward are cross-platform consistency and a more flexible interface for different screen setups...so you may just get your wish! ;)

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi guys,

@pbryanw, you might want to check out 1Password Alpha for Windows Modern in the Windows store, I think you will be happy to see where we'll be going in the future for 1Password on Windows. We'll still have two separate programs but the interfaces are something we'll try to match up as much as possible.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

@brenty - Here's hoping for a three-pane interface, though the 1Password Alpha for Windows looks very promising in this respect (thanks for the heads-up MikeT).

I'm guessing that the Windows Modern app won't come with browser add-ons, so you'll still need the original Windows app for that? Other than that, if the development goes well for the Modern app, I can see myself using that when it's released, and finally being able to use 3-column view on Windows :+1:

• @pbryanw,

As long as Microsoft doesn't provide options for breaking out of the app sandbox in a secure way to enable inter-app communication, the Windows Modern version won't work with browsers, you're right.

We'd love to get you feedback on the Windows modern version!

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.