Dropbox authorization failed!

Options
brittmichele
brittmichele
Community Member

For months on end I've been getting this error message. Even as I type this!!! Every 5 seconds I have to push "dismiss" and keep typing!!! I have re-signed in a million times. My Dropbox is pro and works great. I am about to find a new password keeper if I can't get help. No customer support #!

Comments

• Good evening, @brittmichele, thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry for the trouble that you're having with 1Password syncing over Dropbox.

First of all, 1Password should not be bombarding you with all those errors messages. In fact, I put a fix in place for that specific issue about 6 months ago, but apparently I didn't cover all the cases, so let me apologize for what is almost certainly my fault here. You're having a crummy experience, and that's on me. If you bear with me I think we can get you squared away.

Please try the following steps:

1. Turn on Airplane Mode on your phone. Once you do so, 1Password should stop peppering you with alerts.
    2. Open 1Password and dismiss any latent authorization alerts that may be lurking around.
    3. Tap on Settings > Sync > Sync Service
    4. Tap on Disable Sync
    5. Now that you've disabled sync, you'll be taken back out to the Sync settings screen.
    6. Tap on Start Syncing > Sync with Dropbox
    7. You should see a list pop up with your Dropbox account on it. Tap on the little (i) icon on the right of the row.
    8. You will probably get an alert that says, "This operation couldn't be completed"... You can safely ignore this, so just dismiss it.
    9. Tap on the last row that says, Stop Using Account and then confirm it in the alert that pops up.
    10. You will be taken back to the account list and your account may still show there. Tap the Cancel button in the upper left.
    11. Turn Airplane Mode off on your device.
    12. Tap Sync With Dropbox in 1Password and then authenticate against Dropbox.
    13. Choose your vault in the list that appears (ensure that you're choosing the same vault you were syncing with before. This is easy if you only have one).

And that's it. With those steps you should be all set. If you run into any trouble please let me know at which step things went sideways for you.

• schenkman
    schenkman
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni I just ran into this issue as well, ran through your fix and re-enabled sync successfully. To help you out with debugging on your end, here's how it occurred for me:

I upgraded my phone from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6s Plus a few days ago. I was/am syncing to Dropbox. I restored the phone from a backup on my mac and once I opened up the app on my new phone, I was prompted to reauthorize with the same dialog. Even if I choose to authorize through the dialog (and verified my password with Dropbox separately), the sync will continue to fail and the dialog will continue to appear. Then I went through your steps like I said and the sync was successful.

• @schenkman Glad to hear my steps were able to help you out! I'm still sorry you ran into this problem, though. I'll be taking another look at the code here to see what I can do to mitigate this problem going forward.

This discussion has been closed.