1Password mini opens after successful filling with ⌘\ [known issue with multiple profiles in Chrome]

Options
bachya
bachya
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

This seems to be a problem discussed elsewhere, but I've not found a solution; therefore, I'm posting a new thread.

• Browser: Chrome Version 46.0.2490.80 (64-bit)
  • Issue: When I use Command + \ to auto-fill any website, the login succeeds, but the Mini window is left open. It has to be manually closed.

Please let me know if I can provide anything further. Thank you!

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @bachya! Does this happen on all the websites you fill logins with or just some of them? I just tried to replicate the issue and wasn't able to on my end using the same version of the extension, 1Password, and Chrome. Could you give us a bit more info on when it occurs, if not every time?

• bachya
    bachya
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @penderworth – I think it happens all the time (in that, I don't recall any websites on which this doesn't occur). I know that this morning, it happened on www.schwab.com, www.gecapitalbank.com, and Facebook.

• bachya
    bachya
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again, @penderworth – just confirmed that it happens on Instapaper, as well:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bachya,

Do you happen to have two Chrome profiles open, both with the 1Password Chrome Extension installed? If you do I suspect that if you were to close both profiles, quit Chrome and launch it again so that only one profile had been loaded that you would find this issue doesn't happen. If you test that do you find it's true?

We are tracking a bug where the issue is both profiles get the same message. One of the copies of the extension (each profile has it's complete own copy) doesn't properly ignore all of the messages and as a result incorrectly asks 1Password mini to open, despite the fact that it's filled in the correct profile.

Have I correct deduced the issue?

ref: OPX-647

• bachya
    bachya
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

That does, indeed, sound like my setup. :) The one thing that's preventing me from testing, however, is this:

If you do I suspect that if you were to close both profiles, quit Chrome and launch it again so that only one profile had been loaded that you would find this issue doesn't happen. If you test that do you find it's true?

Can you shed some light on how I would "close" both of the profiles? I find that if I simply quit Chrome and relaunch it (with only one profile's window active), the issue persists.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bachya,

Chrome isn't my goto browser but I believe you need to close both windows, then quit Chrome and when you restart it only one profile should be loaded. As soon as you launch the second profile though the extension is loaded and from what I remember the issue will persist until a subsequent clean load with a single profile.

What will be new is if the issue persists even if after a clean launch of Chrome with only a single profile.

• bachya
    bachya
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your suggestion. Here's what I tried:

1. Completely closed Chrome (all windows removed and all processes stopped).
    2. Restarted Chrome. By default, my primary profile spawned a new window.
    3. Went to Instapaper and logged in.
    4. 1P Mini window continued to exhibit the same behavior.
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @bachya,

Interesting...

It's weird, I can't reproduce and it does show all the same hallmarks of this other issue with the key exception that you're seeing it with a single profile loaded.

Can you try your steps 1. and 2. again for me please and then use the menu option Window > Task Manager. With a single profile I see this

If a second profile has been loaded at any point you will see a second copy of the extension loaded and closing the profile doesn't remove them. So everything we know would indicate you're going to see a single instance but as you say, you're seeing the same problem.

I wonder, does the issue persist if you go as far as temporarily disabling the 1Password extension in the second profile and then try going through the steps again?

• bachya
    bachya
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your suggestions. Here's what I discovered.

After performing my steps #1 and #2, I opened Chrome's task manager and saw this:

It looks like Chrome automatically loads all extensions for both profiles, regardless of whether I have a window for a particular profile open.

When I follow your advice and disable the 1P extension in one of the profiles, as you would expect, only one copy of the extension is loaded:

In that instance, everything works as expected: Command + \ auto-fills my info and Mini never opens.

So, after all that, it seems like this is the same issue as the one you're already tracking (unless you disagree?).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bachya,

So it is the same issue although I can't explain why both profile's extensions are being loaded automatically in your case. For me the second copy of the extensions only loaded once I opened up the second profile and not before - very weird.

Anyway, so we have identified the cause and it is on our to-do list as something that really does need to get fixed. I hope we can have some good news on this front.

• bachya
    bachya
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for rolling through this with me. Will await a patch at some point. Appreciate yours (and the team's) work!

One additional piece of information: I find that Mini's "stuck" state only occurs when my vault is unlocked when I hit Command + \. When I'm asked to enter my master password, this doesn't seem to happen.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

I think this started after the latest 1Password update (I have the version purchased directly from you, not from MAS). Either that or I never noticed the issue before.

If I have multiple Chrome profiles opened in multiple Chrome windows, all of them have the extension installed, when I hit Cmd+\ from one window the login submits OK but the 1Password Mini in the menu bar also opens with the Password Generator menu activated.
    This happens only if I have multiple Chrome profiles active at the same time which I need to have, so please tell me this should work OK and it's just a temporary bug :-)

I found this older thread, it seems half of the same problem is back:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/33241/command-fills-password-but-doesnt-submit-also-opens-password-generator-in-1password-mini

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store
    OS Version: 10.11.1
    Sync Type: Folder and WiFi

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Having the same issue too, with multiple profiles. It happens only when there's a single match for a login, if there are multiple matches and you select one of them, the window goes away.
    This problem seems to have occurred in the past, it was fixed and now it seems to be back again:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/33241/command-fills-password-but-doesnt-submit-also-opens-password-generator-in-1password-mini

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store
    OS Version: 10.11.1
    Sync Type: Folder and WiFi

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @411pass,

I've actually merged the two threads and also renamed the original to hopefully make it a little clearer as to the issue.

As you too have discovered, we do have an issue with filling when multiple copies of the extension exist in Chrome. Now I'm not sure why but bachya's problem is similar but odd in the fact that they always have two copies loaded. For me at least it's only after I've opened the second profile that it happens. Both of your issues have the same root cause though and will be both fixed at the same time once we get this issue wrapped up.

ref: OPX-647

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Could you please remove my comment above yours? It's a bit confusing saying that we can close this thread ... we should not until the issue is resolved.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@411pass, done :smile: Don't worry though, closing of threads is done very sparingly here so I certainly wasn't going to :smile:

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Any progress towards a solution? When it happens 50 times per day, it gets to you after a few days...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @411pass,

I have no doubt. In fact I would go as far as saying I can imagine it could get really annoying if it was happening far less than 50 times a day. Unfortunately I don't have any good news to offer I'm afraid. The developers know this needs fixed but I shall remind them that people are suffering this in their day to day usage :(

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to be getting worse with Chrome v47. Now Cmd+\ shows some random matches that don't apply to the current site. Maybe that's another issue and not related to this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @411pass,

Can you try downloading version 4.5.2.BETA-2 of the 1Password Chrome Extension please. Based on your report I did see a flaw in the logic and we've just released this new beta to see if it helps.

ref: OPX-1094

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Link to the beta please.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @411pass,

Certainly :smile: You can find the betas at 1Password Browser Extensions (beta).

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Tried it but it doesn't seem to work any better. If I hit Cmd+\ the popup shows the entries I need but when I click on one nothing happens.
    Sorry to say but 1Pass seems to be getting worse and worse when it comes to Chrome integration. Aren't the 1Pass developers using Chrome and testing with it? These seem to be obvious issues that should be noticed right away by anyone who tries to use it for 5 min.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @411pass,

I tested in both the beta version and the stable version before we released. I will admit it isn't my preferred browser, in fact it's only on my system as a prerequisite for the troubleshooting and testing I need to do so I'm not using it for hours a day like I do Safari. We do test all three major browsers though.

Now I know the beta version of 1Password for Mac holds part of the improvement for a better multi-profile Chrome experience but with two profiles open I'm reliably shown the correct items and they fill in the stable version of 1Password for Mac. It might sound like a daft question but have you are updated all the copies of the Chrome extension? we know from others that a mixture of stable and beta copies spread out over the various profiles doesn't work, all the copies have to be the latest beta. It might be that was obvious to you and you did so out of instinct given you work with chrome profiles on a regular basis compared to myself for example.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to shut down all tabs and all profiles in chrome. As part of the testing regime I follow I will always launch a browser and if it has an old copy of the extension installed I uninstall it, close all tabs and then quit the browser. Normally this isn't required if the browser is updating extensions naturally but this strict sequence of steps has been built up by the developers after experiencing all sorts of unexplainable behaviour when trying to rapidly swap between iterations during development and testing. I don't tempt fate and follow this religiously.

Please do let us know if you're still experiencing issues though.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Yes, I have the latest versions of the beta extension in all profiles, though I did not uninstall the stable version of the extension, I simply disabled it in all profiles. Do I need to uninstall it as opposed to just disabling it?
    When should we expect a final stable release of the Mac app + Chrome extension that works well with Chrome v47 and multiple profiles? A fix for this issue is long overdue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @411pass,

As far as a stable release for the extension goes it can be whenever we're confident that the beta doesn't do anything bad for anybody which will probably seem disingenuous after the blips in 4.5.0 but what I'm trying to say is we're not reliant on anybody else to release a stable. We could release a stable 4.5.2 by the end of the week that would contain this Chrome fix if we were happy but it's premature to comment despite the positive feedback we've had from others. Why it hasn't been had the same improvement to your Chrome experience that others had I don't know yet.

1Password has more complications. For example I'm informed Apple don't review or release anything over the holiday period so even if it was needed we're limited there. I don't know when the next stable release of 1Password for Mac will be except to say it won't be until 2016 now. We are slowly closing in on a release though but the specifics are not known to me.

I can't say I've ever tested keeping both stable and beta extensions installed, Safari for example will not let you. My initial thought would be that if an extension is disabled that should be sufficient but it's hard to say with Chrome. For example Chrome does not shut down extensions in a particular profile if you close the profile - you have to completely quit Chrome to deactivate those instances. There may be something going on in the background that isn't obvious hence the what may seem like severe steps we take as we bounce between different versions of the extension here. Have you restarted Chrome at all lately, it might be something as innocent as that is all that is needed if you haven't already.

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I fully restarted Chrome and even rebooted.
    As for 1Pass for Mac ... not everyone bought it from the Mac store, I did not, so you can do releases outside of the Apple schedule, for the rest of us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@411pass: I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble. At this point, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on an official release that fixes this long standing issue?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @411pass,

I know, it's really frustrating but we always announce new releases via the likes of Twitter or Facebook and I believe without exception never with advanced warning. It's not what you want to hear and I understand why, I'm just not in a position to promise anything as timelines can easily change - all it takes is one severe bug report and everything gets put on hold. So we'd rather be frustratingly vague now than make a promise than we go back on.

This discussion has been closed.