Latest version of 1Password 4 not creating 1Password.html

Options
NickH
NickH
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I Downloaded the lastest version of 1Password (4.6.0.592) and Dropbox today.
I set up my local vault.
After everything was set up and working I then went to preferences and selected "move to Dropbox".
My Dropbox sycned successfully.
I looked into the idea of 1PasswordAnywhere as a means to securely access my data from outside of home if I need to but upon looking in my Dropbox, there was no 1Password.html file anywhere. I looked in every folder, still not to be found.
The only things in my Dropbox were the 1Password folder itself, my agilekeychain, a populated data folder and config folder.
There was no 1Password.html found anywhere throughout.

Is this a new bug, or am I missing something? I even deleted my vault and created a new one (twice, once again on Dropbox, then a local vault), still no 1Password.html to be found.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @NickH,

This is intentional as we're not including it by default for people who doesn't need it and we're moving toward to OPVault format that no longer support 1PasswordAnywhere.

We actually just made this change recently and the guide hasn't been updated yet to reflect this change. I'll send you a private message of what you can do for now.

• NickH
    NickH
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks for the quick and informative reply @MikeT. Just to make sure I understand this correctly..

Today, if I wanted to be able to remotely manage my 1Password data, I have two options:

• an iOS device synced with one of the 1Password apps (OPVault).
    • 1PasswordAnywhere (agilekeychain).

I hope 1PasswordAnywhere is still supported in future versions of 1Password, as I would hate to see it phased out and OPVault take over, requiring users to own an iOS device if they want to have access to their logins when away from their computer.

Regards,

P.S I appreciate the helpful private message, thanks!

• Hi @NickH,

an iOS device synced with one of the 1Password apps (OPVault).

This is the most secure method you can use for when you don't have 1Password installed on the computer or you don't have a computer with you.

1PasswordAnywhere has that concern where you'd be using it on a computer you don't own and it can be compromised, which means we won't be able to fight against that for you.

I hope 1PasswordAnywhere is still supported in future versions of 1Password, as I would hate to see it phased out and OPVault take over, requiring users to own an iOS device if they want to have access to their logins when away from their computer.

We still have plans to do a new version of 1PasswordAnywhere that is using OPVault instead of agilekeychain or better yet, we may base or fork it on our upcoming 1Password for Teams service.

• johny_s
    johny_s
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

Could you send me pm of your advice for @NickH? I'm having exactly the same problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

• I've sent the PM as requested.

1PasswordAnywhere will be phased out in the near future, please do not rely on this too much as it will stop working soon.

• KimKyungmin
    KimKyungmin
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

The vault is on dropbox and I can access it from other computers with 1password installed

There is no 1password.html file in the (1Password.agilekeychain) folder.

Send me a copy of HTML file

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
    Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
    OS Version: WINDOW 7
    Sync Type: DROPBOX

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @KimKyungmin,

I've sent you a private message with the copy of 1Password.html file.

Note that we're phasing out the support of 1PasswordAnywhere, do not rely on this file to work for much longer.

• peja
    peja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, please pm me also with the temporary workaround.

I install 1PasswordAnywhere on a Raspberry Pi in my network for access by local machines - mostly because of the lack of 1Password support under Linux.

Thanks and Regards,
    Peter

• Hi @peja,

Check your PM for the copy of 1Password.html.

As for Linux, some folks get around it by using WINE to run the Windows version of 1Password, which would also work with the browser extensions as long as you have the code signature turned off.

• peja
    peja
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @MikeT.
    Peter

• dhave
    dhave
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I also would like to receive a PM. I'm trying 1Password along with several other PW managers, and some degree of Linux compatibility is essential (I actually use Mac, Win10 and iOS most of the time, but one of my machines runs Linux). I'm happy to use 1Password Anywhere, but, as with others here, the necessary .html file doesn't show up when open my Dropbox folder on my Linux machine (running Firefox). Thanks.

• dhave
    dhave
    Community Member
    Options

I've got 1P running under Wine on my Arch Linux installation, but I'd still like the option -- even if temporary -- of using 1Password Anywhere. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

We've started to share the link in public posts, so here's the direct link to the 1Password.html file that you can extract to your 1Password.agilekeychain folder: https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/mike/1PasswordAnywhere.zip

@dhave, you can use the zip link above here to get your copy.

Just need to clarify this, do not use this on public computers and be prepared for not being able to use this in the future as we're phasing out our support for 1PasswordAnywhere. We do plan to find a better replacement but we don't have anything to share at the moment.

• dhave
    dhave
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, MikeT. That was helpful. Now I have two work-arounds to use while I'm waiting for you folks to develop a suitable replacement for 1PasswordAnywhere. I appreciate your working to accommodate those of us who use multiple operating systems. Since users who are most interested in a high level of password protection are also those who are most likely to use multiple operating systems (especially Linux), your support is a strong selling-point for 1Password.

• rdaza
    rdaza
    Community Member
    Options

I am a new user of 1password and was trying to access it at work, given the security settings I cannot install the app on the windows computer here therefore I was going to use 1PasswordAnywhere but couldn't find the HTML file, I finally arrived to this post which gets me a little scared that I won't be able to use it at work where I spent most of my time and where I log in to multiple sites that require a password.
    Can someone send me the html file while it is still out there? and Will there be another solution to access my passwords from a computer that does not have the app installed?

Thank you.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @dhave,

One thing you might want to do is stay tuned on the changes we're making toward 1Password for Teams service. It is likely whatever replacement we're working on will borrow from the work we're doing on Teams. Some of the beta testers that do not need the full power of the program is already enjoying the website on Linux. Once it gain the power to edit your items, it will become more useful.

• Hi @rdaza,

I've merged your comment in this thread, please read my comment above (4 posts above) to find the 1Password.html file and yes, we're planning to have a replacement in the future.

This discussion has been closed.