License Transfer iOS to Android?

Options
MattAttack
MattAttack
Community Member

I purchased 1password pro on my iOS device. I no longer have any iOS devices, but have an Android device. Is there an option to transfer the license to Android and remove the iOS?

Best Regards,
Matt

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @MattAttack.

Unfortunately, because of how the Play Store and iTunes are designed, we are not able to bundle the premium features on Android with 1Password on other platforms, or transfer licenses from one to the other. The in-app purchase is handled directly through the Play Store and is linked to your Google account. Likewise, the iOS purchase is handled through Apple and linked to your Apple ID. Unfortunately, since the sales are handled through Google and Apple respectively, we are unable to transfer licenses. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If your iOS license was purchased within the last 90 days, however, you may be able to get a refund through Apple. https://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

I hope that clarifies things a bit! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

• MattAttack
    MattAttack
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update and clarification. Appreciate the prompt response.

• No problem! Let us know if you need anything else. :)

• cjayme
    cjayme
    Community Member
    Options

I faced the same problem when I migrated from iphone to a android phone. Fortunatelly I still have I an iPad. Therefore, when I need to edit some existing fields I do that in the iOS and sync through dropbox. The explanation above regarding play store and itunes bla bla bla did not convince me at all. Once I have a license key, the android app just need to allow the insertion of this key to enable pro features. It appears just a trap to force you to buy another license. Until now I was a big fan of this app and gave it 5 stars, but now I am disappointed with this license issue. My case is worst because I also bought the desktop version...

• I hear you, @cjayme. You're absolutely right, anything is possible given enough time and resources. As @roustem loves to say: "the code just needs to be written" :)

At the end of the day, managing standalone licenses is a pain in the butt. We would need to run a dedicated license server to verify licenses, and there are a lot of other edge cases we need to worry about. This is especially problematic as the standalone versions of 1Password have no concept of a centralized "account". On the flip side, having a separate license for each platform is also a pain, so I totally see where you're coming from.

I mentioned that 1Password is missing the concept of a centralized 1Password Account and how having one would make managing licenses much easier. This account has never existed until very recently. With 1Password for Teams (announced late last year), you have your own account so we can verify you and your teammates have permission to run 1Password on Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac OS X. It makes things so much easier as you don't need to add a license to each platform; instead, you simply add your teams account and you're good to go.

This 1Password Account also allows you to easily share with other users, a full Admin Console, simpler setup, and items and vaults appear automatically on all your devices. As great as all this is, my favourite part by far is the greatly simplified licensing – you signup once and get access to all the apps.

We're making a lot of progress on this front and will continue. Now we need to find a way to bring this simplicity to individual users, but in the meantime, you can always setup a team with just yourself. 1Password for Teams works great for teams of any size, including families and individuals.

I hope that helps,

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.