Why limited to mac + windows 1P5 bundle upgrade?

Options
rogerrandom
rogerrandom
Community Member

My Mac 1P5 licence has just expired. I paste in my licence key to see upgrade options, and no 1P5 for Mac is selectable, only the more expensive mac + windows bundle.

I don't use windows, and didn't purchase a mac + windows bundle, so why am I forced to purchase the more expensive bundle?

Also, last year only days after purchasing a new 1P5 licence, I received an application bundle from Parallels, which included 1P5 for Mac ... for cheaper!

I'm also a little concerned at when the next version of 1P5 is to be released. What assurances are provided that v6 wont be released shortly after purchasing a new annual licence for 1P5?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:license-requirements, kb:add-license

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options

The reason only the bundle is shown is that you already have a Mac licence, so there is nothing to upgrade.

1PW does not have an annual licence. Once you have a licence, it will work for that major version of 1PW (in your case, 1PW5) as long as that version is compatible with your operating system. It never expires.

What I suspect has happened is that you purchased 1PW but never applied the licence. Have a look at

“Trial Expired” notice (Mac)

and see if it helps you.

The fact that 1PW became available in a Parallels bundle is just bad luck for you, much the same as buying anything and finding it on sale the next day.

It is possible that 1PW6, when it comes out, will be a paid upgrade, no-one can say at present. But you can stick with 1PW5 if that happens.

Oh, you mentioned a licence KEY. Only 1PW3 has a licence key, 1PW4 and 1PW5 use a licence FILE (the same file for both), which makes it seem more likely that you purchased a 1PW5 licence but never applied it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rogerrandom: danco provided some great insight, but I also wanted to address this question:

I'm also a little concerned at when the next version of 1P5 is to be released. What assurances are provided that v6 wont be released shortly after purchasing a new annual licence for 1P5?

Don't even give it a second thought. Even when we do have a paid upgrade, we always offer free upgrades to customer who've purchased recently. We don't have a timeframe for when we might release a new version (or if it will be paid or not), so I can't get more specific than that. But for example when 1Password for Windows version 4 was released last year everyone who'd purchased in 2014 got a free upgrade. ;)

• rogerrandom
    rogerrandom
    Community Member
    Options

@danco, @brenty, thanks for your comments guys.

You are totally right, I had been trying to apply the 1P3 licence, not using the license file. My bad. Was having a bad day.

The software is great, uses across all my devices, and a real security life saver. Keep up the awesome work, i'd struggle living without it.

Sorry about the slightly terse tone in my post too, and thanks for such a prompt and comprehensive response.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Seriously, if that's your idea of terse @rogerrandom I'd love to meet you when you're happy :smile: All I saw was a bunch of reasonable questions :smile:

This discussion has been closed.